Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swing Tranny Reinfocement
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schrauber jan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

I once saw an Article in an old Mag about the Old Swing axle
someone took two HD Side Plates and screwed out ten of the Studs
fife on each side bored throug the Case from one side to the other and used fife long Bolts to put everything back together!
It developed like a cage around the Diff and i guess they told it´s to prevent the Tranny to brake in two!

I´ve searched the whole Forum and the Internet but couldn´t find anything about what and how to do?
only thing i found was one Threat with a pict about two differnt style HD Plates and one extra 10mm Bolt drilled thoug.

I gues i saw Youtube Vid from EZGZ he mentioned Gene Berg and a Book were it should be explained!

Can someone please lead me the way about it and what and how to do this Mod?

I only need to know what bolts needed to be drilled out were to run the Fife bolts!
and maybe were to look for. Rolling Eyes

maybe the Pro and cons about that Mod. Question
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

You might search the word girdle..

What’s That Noise?!?
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

Member Gears (pablo) showed a through bolt (head stud) mod used on autocraft and rhino cases.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

Was popular years ago. Some still do it.
You can still bust the case in half thou. Seen it many times. Usually the front section of the case separates from the diff housing area. Gear oil on the track.

Mostly, folks weld on big gussets any more that tie the front half of the case to the diff housing. Helps in a big way from shattering a case.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

Tom do you have any photos/links of this? I recently bought a rebuilt trans and plan to install it in a couple days. I could find time to make some gussets if it would help.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

Threat of case breakage can be eliminated by limiting forward pinion movement, and to a lesser degree, side cover lift-off.

The ONLY through-bolt that does anything constructive is the one added in that photo. None of the OE studs is in the correct position.

I've yet to see a broken case from a trans that had those two major modifications performed.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

I don't know what those things are but i will do some research.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

buguy wrote:
I don't know what those things are but i will do some research.

https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=89944

Imo, .003 is a little tight for backlash on a street car, but it’s give/take if you are to the point of needing all the mods in the post.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

Thanks i will read through that.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

The thru-bolt is nice idea but too much way above where it is suppose to give support. IMO.

Where it breaks is across the bottom of the sump. That area can be reinforced w/ an aluminum plate welded on it.

Also - I shuffle-pinned the side covers. SEems to hold up thru the years. The side-covers cannot shimmy or the backside of the tunnel will twist and rip across at the bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Swing Tranny Reinfocement Reply with quote

https://weddleindustries.com/products/6421R/6421R
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: