Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: 2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change Reply with quote

A little bit lame to merit a DIY but, too bad..here goes.

G12 coolant is advertised as lifetime, but I change every 4-5 years (low miles on my EV, like 3k per year.)

This is a really nice coolant change.

Cold engine

Drop 4 M6 bolts to lower engine pan

Up high, left side of engine, is a coolant drain plug which unscrews by hand. Its got a nice o-ring seal which pops into the a seal groove.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Drain coolant into bucket.

Now put hose into reservoir and turn on

Check flow through drain port

Start car, let run for 30 minutes with water coming from both drain port and overflow reservoir. Resist the temptation to surf Samba while you are doing this, in case the hose flops out and you then burn up your EV.

I added 4.0 of VW G12 coolant after replacing plug, then it took 4.0 liters of water to top off I calculate the dead volume of 1.0 liter for a total freeze protection to -15F

All data told me to run the car at 2000 rpm for 3 minutes and then recheck level - I found no change. I took it for a highway spin of 10 minutes and found no change.
kenney158
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change Reply with quote

Thanks. My coolant overflowed recently when the belt tensioner pulley froze and shredded the belt. Need to refill. Since I had a reman engine installed only 1k miles ago I'm assuming I don't need to do the flush part.

Want to make sure I understand. I should start the van while the hose is running only water into the cooling system? I guess this means there's no overflow until the system is filled with water. Makes me a little nervous to start the engine with the system open.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change Reply with quote

Yes, this is to flush. Run the wate r until it fills before you start..takes about 20 seconds. Make sure you have water coming from the drain plug and coming out of the top of the reservoir to flush. Idle speed only.
Scottn59c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change Reply with quote

Earlier question today got me wondering: Do you have to do any bleeding of the system by opening a bleeder screw or is the system self-bleeding?
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change Reply with quote

I found it self bleeding. I just topped it up at idle, put the cap on, took it for a short spin, no change in level.

Quote:
All data told me to run the car at 2000 rpm for 3 minutes and then recheck level - I found no change. I took it for a highway spin of 10 minutes and found no change.

jonathannickel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change Reply with quote

Scottn59c wrote:
Earlier question today got me wondering: Do you have to do any bleeding of the system by opening a bleeder screw or is the system self-bleeding?

I just finished draining and replacing the coolant on my 2001 EVC. The main job was putting in a transmission cooler so I drained the coolant first to keep it a bit neater.
Afterwards, it took at least fifteen minutes of running the engine and driving it around the block before the heat started working again, despite normal coolant temperature. I suspect that there was air in the heater core. While the car was warming up I periodically removed the coolant reservoir cap to allow air out, which seemed to help.
So yes, it does "self bleed," but in my experience it can take a while and you'll want to let the air out and refill the reservoir.
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change Reply with quote

Will try on my 95 EVC. Far and away the best flush procedure I have come across!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change Reply with quote

Worked like a charm!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
menko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: 2002 Eurovan DIY coolant change Reply with quote

Thanks for these great instructions. Question--I did this flush but when I pulled my trans cooler, those lines were still full of dirty coolant so the flush didn't seem to get the whole system. Should I do this with the engine warmed up instead?

The problem I'm trying to deal with is a rust brown residue that is throughout my cooling system. I'm guessing that someone ran non g12 at some point and when I flushed and put in G12 it created this goop that I can't seem to get out. Running a water flush it all comes out looking clean, but the insides of the hoses and coolant tank are coated in the stuff.

Is there something I could run as a pre-flush to try and break it down using distilled water and then run this flush? I can't really replace all the hoses and assume its also in the radiator.

thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: