Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tfor2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

Sorry not yet posted Photos. I’m fairly IT illiterate. I’ll have to find a 10year old to sop me!!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

Here are some suggestions that might make the Gallery easier to use (for me Wink ).
Hopefully for others too.
Satisfaction is where it's at.

If easier..... and members are more satisfied with their posts....they might post more often. 👍🏽🙏🏽👍🏽🙏🏽

======================

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'd use this feature.

If you can identify the post that the user was working on, an option that says "click <here> to put these links "directly in my current post" would be useful too.

Even better to put the link at the cursor position (of the post that the person is working on). I have no idea know if "cursor location" is feasible.

=======================

A "copy" link would make the gallery easier/faster to use on an iPhone.

===========================

Here's another way to make it easier/faster to insert pics from the Gallery.
Especially on an iPhone.

When the link is at the bottom, it takes some work to select it and move it around.
If the member just leaves all the pics piled up at the bottom, it can result in a "lower quality" post that the member is not as happy with, nor the readers.

==============

Ok -- hope these suggestions help somehow. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

First, nice work on the screen editing and images you created.

#1:
Unfortunately I don't know what post you are working on when uploading pics.
This is not impossible but it's easier to simply click all the "Insert" buttons on the Forums post message screen quickly to insert anything you just posted?
The upload screen also auto-refreshes so I would have to either stop that or you would have to click it really fast. Cool

#2:
I could add that but you know you can click the box with the text and it copies it, right?
This
Quote:

#3:
This is weird, it looks like I tried to do that when I first made all of those insert buttons but apparently I couldn't figure it out so I made it insert everything at the end. It works now. Very Happy
This
Quote:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

The devil is in the details, right?

EverettB wrote:
#2:
I could add that but you know you can click the box with the text and it copies it, right?

I know that it 'selects' all the text but never knew that it put the text into the copy buffer.
That would have been very handy to know (over the years).👍🏽👍🏽
But sometimes I already have something in my copy buffer, and with a phantom overwriting my copy buffer I could lose something that took awhile to compose (especially on the iPhone).
Which may have happened many times over the years but I likely thought I was just insane.
My preference to have the "copy" function user-initiated.
The copy button is 100% self-explanatory to new users (and old Embarassed ).

I tested the "INSERT" button and Cool like very much Cool that it inserts at the cursor.

Thanks Everett, I'm glad that you found my suggestions useful.
I will try the new features!

TheSamba RULES.
TheSamba keeps a lot of VWs viable and on the road!

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I know that it 'selects' all the text but never knew that it put the text into the copy buffer.

I don't think it does. Formerly, on Linux only, selecting text would also "copy" it, but recent
versions of Firefox have disabled that function on Linux. It never put the selected text
on the clipboard (aka "copy buffer") in any Windows I ever used.

Also, I believe some browsers allow users to deny access by websited to the system clipboard.
Lots of users do not know what that setting is or how to change it.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

It works in Chrome and Firefox on Windows 10 right now - I just tried it.

To be specific it's not copying the text because you are selecting it...
It's copying the text because I'm using a Javascript command to make it copy the text to the clipboard when you click on it.

I don't know about Linux and whether it works there.

I believe you are correct about the clipboard setting but you have to specifically turn it off.
I have never turned it on and it works for me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
To be specific it's not copying the text because you are selecting it...
It's copying the text because I'm using a Javascript command to make it copy the text to the clipboard when you click on it.

I'd like to repeat that I often have something in my copy buffer, and the browser doing a 'phantom overwrite' is not my preference.
Sometimes I have a lot of 'work' on a reply, in the copy buffer.

My preference is a user-initiated 'copy' link.
Users will understand it entirely upon seeing the copy link.
It "suggests the next action" which is "copy this and paste it into your post" and voila, your pic will appear.

I think.....users will have more success and satisfaction in using the gallery and this is a fairly simple way to teach this step of inserting a pic.

I really like the way the imager insert works (at the cursor) now.
That almost precludes the need to copy from the gallery.
But when I'm _in the gallery_ I do wanna copy it right there.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

I agree it might have been confusing to users and overwriting the clipboard without notice could be annoying.

I have changed it to have a copy link instead.

Thank you.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

I'm now using Android phone for pics and they automatically get sent to Google Photos, but is there an easy way to then post said links right into the Photo Gallery or possibly the photo like on the classified and page?
TIA, Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

I don't think you can post a link to Google Photos and have the Gallery pull from there instead of your phone but it depends how your phone let's you select the "filename" from you phone web browser.

Are you saying the pics are not stored in a "Gallery" on your phone, only in Google Photos?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

You can not post an image directly from Google Photos. You need to download the image to your android phones local storage an then upload it to the Samba gallery.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

Right. I actually hate using the phone for any text stuff but the phone camera is pretty good. And always with me. I'll try to down load to my desktop to .jpg format then.
Long term I might find a better digital camera and just do it the old way.
I do a lot of contributing to a few forums and am an old school touch typist so a full size keyboard is so much nicer. Nicer than a laptop even.
thanks, Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

Hello, I've all of a sudden lost my ability to upload photos.
Something happened awhile back and as long as I took a screenshot of my own pictures, I could get them to upload...but even that has resulted in this:

Which is what was happening before unless I used a screenshot. Now it happens either way....
Any suggestions?

That photo is listed in 58 up bug sedan.
My device is a Galaxy S21... been using it for over a year now.

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

Email me the photo so I can check it out.

It's not uploading at all - the link above is not a link to a photo.

For some reason there have been a couple people lately that emailed me pics and they wouldn't upload but I had no idea why.

I opened them and re-saved them and then they uploaded fine so there must have been something weird with the photo.
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

I was one that emailed you about photo posting issues and you definitely helped me out. I'm still having issues with it though and again can't upload a photo. I'm not doing anything differently than I ever had before but the last three or four photos I've tried to post have taken at least five tries to get them to upload. I don't do anything differently when they do finally post, they just magically work. I have a galaxy too so maybe they recently changed something with the format of the photos that the samba doesn't like. Oh well, I'll follow this thread and see if anyone else has ideas about the problem.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

Check your phone settings. I was having trouble with an iPhone and a Mac desktop. It turned out the phone camera was using an EISC system, whatever that means, and it wouldn't work. With tech help, the phone now uses JPEG and all is right with the world. Well there are still a couple of things not right, but at least I can post pictures.

Duncan
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

I looked up the Galaxy phone and it looks like the newest ones take photos in HEIC format, which the site doesn't support at this time.

You can change it to default to JPG instead - maybe this will work.
71StandardReduction
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

I'm not very savvy in this topic but emailing with Everett last night, I was helped enough to commit to some Google searching and figured out a way to deal with the issue that worked for my Galaxy s21.
I still have to take screenshots of my pictures and edit them to make it work but atleast I can post again.
Quite simple actually.

Thanks for the help!

YHWH NISSI
YHWH SHALOM

64 Pan Buggy
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Ruby Red 1966
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=779597&highlight=

https://youtube.com/@SCOFabwerx?feature=shared
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

Just another reason why I love this site! Thank you for the help, it worked! I have to do the screenshot trick as it saves those as jpegs and my regular phone camera saves them as ISO200's, whatever that is. Thanks again!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums Reply with quote

Is it possible to add a photo from a copyrighted source such as Getty Images? I tried opening this photo in a separate tab, pasting its address to this response box with "img" surrounds, then deleting the address starting from the right going back to the "?" and without the "?". No clear results. Would be for the Type 3 vintage photos thread.

Right click on image itself for "copy image address": https://media.gettyimages.com/id/1224604943/photo/...wFPy7Xc6k=

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/sing...popup=true

Pasting attempt with shortened address: [img]https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/singer-jay-walker-leaning-on-a-car-at-munich-germany-1960s-news-photo/1224604943?
[/img]

I know I could make a screen shot of the image, save it to my computer, size it per tS photo sizing, pixellate the watermark; then import that into my gallery. Quite a bit of activity for that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: