Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto"
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

I bet it was the location for a spotlight.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobrk wrote:
Another mystery on my truck is this antenna mount. It looks like they had it mounted between the windshields. Seems like it had a very weird angle to clear the top. Maybe it was a CB radio with one of those swiveling mounts?

Last edited by easy e on Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I bet it was the location for a Unity spotlight.
https://www.unityusa.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets...amp;maxy=0
bobrk wrote:
Another mystery on my truck is this antenna mount. It looks like they had it mounted between the windshields. Seems like it had a very weird angle to clear the top. Maybe it was a CB radio with one of those swiveling mounts?

Actually, that was always an option in my mind as well! Thanks for the pic, it looks exact.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

I'm going to keep an eye out for one, that would look badass.

1500 single port | 1963 small nut/big brake transaxle | CSP Disc Brakes | dual circuit m/c | Deutsch Polster seats
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
easy e wrote:

I'm going to keep an eye out for one, that would look badass.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw...ondition=4
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Some days, you want to work on your truck but you're not sure what you want to do, so you just poke around and do stupid things like uncover it so you can look at it and just wash the windows.

Here are some pics from my spelunking...

I think all the glass is OG, a combination of Delog windshields and Sekurit side and back windows. And I just looked up "ver bund" and it means composite, which makes sense for a laminated windshield.

Thought I'd go look at the engine and was gratified to see that not only did it still have oil in it, it even turned, so I'm optimistic that it will start after 20 years with some careful preparation.

Brazilian carb?

Voltage regulator? And some solenoid...

12 Volt generator...

Also, it's an "H" engine, will have to look that up.

Thanks to this site, I know it's a Sep 65 1500 block.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/chassisdating.php

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

There's a black widow in your brushes. Can't say I've ever seen a pulley broken like that before. It looks like it's cast iron.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
There's a black widow in your brushes. Can't say I've ever seen a pulley broken like that before. It looks like it's cast iron.
Good eye. I didn’t even notice.

apexxn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
There's a black widow in your brushes.

And we all know how painful that can be. Laughing
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Long-roofs wrote:
Looks like you are dealing with '63 one ton rear drums, they take the longer stub axle, you may have the 3/4 ton shorter axle on the one side.

I’ve been mulling this statement for weeks now. Is there any documentation of this anywhere? I can’t find anything online or in my Bentleys. I’d just like to verify before cutting my drum up.

ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Some days, you want to work on your truck but you're not sure what you want to do

12 Volt generator...

That is a 38 amp gen from your Kazbus.
The 38 amp is more powerful than the 30 amp found on Bugs.
Also the backing plates are different because the 38 amp Gen is longer.
There is some damage to that pulley, but completely useable.
It's OG german cast, and BETTER than anything you can get now.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Always make sure when working on the gen or alt pulley, that the screwdriver used to lock the pulley from turning is kept pointed at the pulley nut you are loosening or tightening. Allowing the screwdriver to tilt at all will result in cracking out chunks from those cast pulleys or bending up the pressed pulleys.

It might be a 38 AMP gen, but have seen those from the FLAPS rewound into a 30 AMP gen instead.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Always make sure when working on the gen or alt pulley, that the screwdriver used to lock the pulley from turning is kept pointed at the pulley nut you are loosening or tightening. Allowing the screwdriver to tilt at all will result in cracking out chunks from those cast pulleys or bending up the pressed pulleys.

It might be a 38 AMP gen, but have seen those from the FLAPS rewound into a 30 AMP gen instead.

Naw, that gen was out of an untouched one owner 1969 camper that I had for a while. I’m assuming the pulley was from the truck. I’m gonna change that belt, though and will inspect that pulley at the time.

So nobody’s got an answer on my stub axles? Was there a difference in length between the 3/4 and 1 ton rgbs stub axles to make up for bigger (wider) brakes and they interchange?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

So nobody’s got an answer on my stub axles? Was there a difference in length between the 3/4 and 1 ton rgbs stub axles to make up for bigger (wider) brakes and they interchange?

The one year only 1 ton stub axles are longer. Ran a pair of the stub axles with the 3/4 ton drums and had to add a shim between drums and axle nut. Think it was about 1/4" (6mm) thick.
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
bobrk wrote:

The one year only 1 ton stub axles are longer. Ran a pair of the stub axles with the 3/4 ton drums and had to add a shim between drums and axle nut. Think it was about 1/4" (6mm) thick.

Ok, mine must be the opposite. I have the thicker brake drums that fit fine on one side, but need to be cut down on the other. 6mmm might be right. I'll have to check that.

Thanks!

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Another thing I realized: I guess when people say "big brake" they mean WIDER brake drums, not larger diameter ones.

ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:
Another thing I realized: I guess when people say "big brake" they mean WIDER brake drums, not larger diameter ones.

Yes the surface area of the friction material is larger resulting in a widere shoe and drum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

bobrk wrote:

When speaking of drums, yes. When referring to discs, it's a larger "contact surface" of the brake, which typically means a larger diameter rotor (along with bigger pistons).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

peecee69 wrote:
bobrk wrote:

When speaking of drums, yes. When referring to discs, it's a larger "contact surface" of the brake, which typically means a larger diameter rotor (along with bigger pistons).

Specifically, I was referring to the designations for the various RGB/Transmission setups on buses. I've always referred to the "upgraded" setup on my bus as a "small nut/big brake" system, but I never saw any larger diameter brake drums, just wider ones. So this makes sense as far as my axle stub discrepancy although it is a bit weird that I would have a 1 ton axle on one side and a 3/4 ton axle on the other side. It's amazing that they interchange... I do need to do some homework on the gears, hopefully this bus has not been driving around with different ratios on each side!

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

Another interesting mystery is this blue paint under my VW emblem...

It does look like that white paint is flaking off, and you can see the SWR on the outside of the emblem, under the same flaking white paint.

I will have to pull the emblem off to see, and since it's missing a couple of clips anyway, it's probably a good idea.

bobrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bob's 1959 Single Cab Pickup — "Otto" Reply with quote

In my never-ending quest to find the keys to this stupid bus, I pulled out my long lost paper file from my truck. Besides a million receipts and a bunch of '92 Miata brochures and receipts, I found these interesting documents.

Original CA DMV registration cards from the late 70s...

Single Cab illustrations from an old S.O.T.O. 'zine...

The Miata reference is interesting. My original web page for this bus insinuated I bought it because I was working on an old house and couldn't really carry anything in the Miata.

http://www.bobrk.com/otto/

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: