Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Helphos won't stick
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Helphos won't stick Reply with quote

Any suggestions? I can't get my vintage helphos spotlight to stick to my windshield. New seal ring? etc?
Thanks Paul
IN2VWS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Helphos won't stick Reply with quote

Are you using a very light smear of glycerine on the rubber before "sucking" it on to the glass?
⨴⨵--⊗--⨴⨵ 𝕊ℙ𝟚¹⁹⁷³
𝟵_𝟭_𝟰¹⁹⁷³
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Helphos won't stick Reply with quote

I've heard the same thing about using a thin smear of glycerin on the rubber seal contact face with the glass...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Helphos won't stick Reply with quote

A small bottle of glycerine was included on delivery to wet the rubber with.

Original German description at my website (see second photo and text):
https://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/data/documents/1958-xx-helphos-sucher.pdf

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Helphos won't stick Reply with quote

I've got a NOS Helpos spotlight stored away for over a couple of decades now. I'll have to dig it out and see if there is a small tube of glycerin in the box. But yes, I heard a thin smear on the mating surface to the glass is what is needed. I think you can buy glycerin at most any Pharmacy...

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Helphos won't stick Reply with quote

Corn Huskers Lotion is mainly glycerin.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srm1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2023 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Helphos won't stick Reply with quote

Hello all.

Don't forget you will need to "burp" the air out. My light was NOS when I got it and it came with a little wire that you place between the windshield and the seal to allow air to escape.

My VW motto is - Out with the OLD. In with the EVEN OLDER !!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Helphos won't stick Reply with quote

My still works: Wink
https://www.vw-t2-bulli.de/suchscheinwerfer.html

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also make sure that the correct light bulb is used, the one that doesn't shine at the front (which is colored there) - otherwise the desired beam of light will not be produced (instead there will just be a lot of scattered light).

You really don't have to look for a replacement for basic glycerin - you can buy it cheaply in many places (e.g. in every pharmacy in Germany) and it is also good for other rubber seals in winter... and there are lots of other old household tips, right down to how to keep Xmas trees fresh... Laughing

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: