Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire Size for a 63 with narrowed beam
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huskerbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:39 pm    Post subject: Tire Size for a 63 with narrowed beam Reply with quote

I'm new to Samba and not quite learned how to search very well so please excuse this question.

My wife has a 63 bug with a narrowed front beam (4" I believe) and it needs tires. At times when we are both in it I will hear it rub on the front right and I was wondering if I ran something smaller than the 165/80r15, let's say a 155, if that might help? I also wanted to ask which brand is a good brand. It has Nexen on it now and they seem fine they are just cracking on the sidewalls from age.
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Size for a 63 with narrowed beam Reply with quote

I run 155/80s on my 63. I'm running a lowered beam, but stock width. I'm sorry I can't really help you with your first question, but I only run BF Goodrich tires on everything I drive. Mine rub the fender if I hit a good sized bump at "speed". I just put up with it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
VACP Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Size for a 63 with narrowed beam Reply with quote

What wheels do you have? Do you also have dropped spindles or just the adjustable beam? It also helps to know if the beam is 2” or 4” narrowed. A couple of pics might help.

Old school is going with a 135 or 145. Personally, I prefer a wider tire. You might try the 155 as mentioned or could try a lower profile 165 such as a 165/55.

Where type of wheel comes into play is the stock wheels are only 4” wide. Aftermarket are often 5.5 and many times the extra width is added to the outside of the rim. So backspacing is important to determine what will fit.
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Size for a 63 with narrowed beam Reply with quote

175/55R15 is a nice fitting short, wide tire if you are running aftermarket wheels. They fit a Smart car and pretty popular. If you are running a stock rim, you'll need something skinnier.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: