Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Memorable Bus Viewing stories
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jaket3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Memorable Bus Viewing stories Reply with quote

Hi,

Thought I'd share a story of going to look for a bus.

Was back in the UK in 1986 I think. I was just 15 or 16 and my dad was looking for a new Westfalia to replace his old one.

In those days in the UK you got a weekly paper called auto trader. And there would be small text ads and a tiny photo.

My Dad phoned up about a LHD bus in Newbury and all sounded good. Was being sold by an American chap.

So we went to have a look. Turned up and van looked OK. The seller turned out to be the CO of the local US Airbase. Greenham Common. This is where a load of US Nuclear weapons were kept. It was the height of the cold war. There were constant protests outside the base at the time.

Anyway we go for a test drive, and he takes us on route by the base. "Why don't we go for a spin round the base" he say. Why not we say.

So he drives through the main gates, lots of saluting and waving and in we go. For a drive up and down the main runway. It was at least a mile long. He points out where all the nukes are kept (They were on trucks, ready to be redeployed into random locations). I think we got the bus up to 75 on the runway. Hilarious.

We didn't buy it in the end. Can't remember why. But got another Westy.

Just thought I'd share that. Any one else have any memorable viewings?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Memorable Bus Viewing stories Reply with quote

All the Bays I've bought thru the years have not been running.....
I do recall in the '80s waiting a week after a '71 Bug had been in the Newspaper, calling the Lady that owned it, she told me if I came & got it, I could have it for free, I took the front plate off my Vw, put it on the Bug, drove it home....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorable Bus Viewing stories Reply with quote

never drove a bus. for my first test drive i tried to throw it into reverse and poped the shifter right out of joint. It needed some work. So did I. I was not Bear-aware.
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorable Bus Viewing stories Reply with quote

Cool story re Greenham Common.

You mentioned the protesters, the RAF took a Vulcan Bomber down the bottom of the runway towards the camp, the Pilot turned tail and sat with the rear facing camp.
Said Pilot had the brakes full on, wound all four turbines up to near full power and scorched most of the tents before hurtling off down the runway!!
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Memorable Bus Viewing stories Reply with quote

My favorite bus sighting was in Jasper, Alberta. My wife and I were having lunch at a fine establishment that had windows overlooking the highway below. I spy with my little eye a nice little Westy tooling up the road. It's not like there are a lot of roads in the area, so after finishing up, we headed out to find it. Found the bus outside a grocery, and the young hippie couple inside was easy to spot. Good folks. We talked and laughed and traded info, since they were on a trip around North America, and... who knows?

Some weeks later, they showed up in our driveway in New Mexico, still on tour! Ha ha!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: