Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Picture of under dash routing?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleGoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Picture of under dash routing? Reply with quote

Does anyone have a picture or diagram of how the various things under the dash and around the pedal board are supposed to be laid out? Which item goes through which hole in the front bulkhead, or where grommets are supposed to be, or what item (such as tach cable) is supposed to be clamped down by a little keeper... etc.

I'm also having a challenge removing my wooden pedal boards. They are loose-ish, but trapped in place it seems no matter how I move them up/down/sideways. I am not sure if they are original or not. Do you need to remove the steering column or fuel petcock to get the pedal boards out?

Car: 356B T5

Thanks! Smile

Brian
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Picture of under dash routing? Reply with quote

I’ve had my pedal boards out recently, you don’t need to remove anything other than the rubber mat, the screw holding the board in, the gas pedal bolts, gas pedal and either the washer pump or pull off the plastic hose.
Believe my boards are original, tight fit but they do come out with some work & a few four letter words!
Not near my car right now so no pics of under dash layout.
PurpleGoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Picture of under dash routing? Reply with quote

Talked to my dad - he made the floorboards so I guess all bets are off. I'm sure he must have used the originals as a template but whatever.

His memory is the steering column was installed, but the fuel petcock may or may not have been uninstalled. So I'll see what I can do with a little more persuasion. Worst case, I can cut some material off with a dremel.

Any pics of under-dash stuff is always appreciated too Smile
jimblakewell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Picture of under dash routing? Reply with quote

My '64 had the metal tabs at the bottom all bent up by the mechanics to ease the removal. I find it much easier to work in cockpit with the seats removed, Hand made cars aren't going to be identical.
Jim Blakewell
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Picture of under dash routing? Reply with quote

I’ve got my 62 B Cab up on my lift for spring maintenance. Be happy to take some pics under the dash tomorrow. Specifically what do you want to see?
PurpleGoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Picture of under dash routing? Reply with quote

I think I sort of figured out most stuff by myself after looking at a lot of pictures, the shop manual, and just making some guesses.

But I still think it's a great idea to take pictures and upload them for people to find later! You have no idea how helpful this forum and others like it are to people like me that got a car that started out in pieces.

Some things I think that would be useful are just nice pictures of the bundles of wires under the dash. Where do they all go? Are they clamped down? Is bundle X on top of or below bundle Y? I have a couple of little clamps under there that look like they are to hold the speedo cable... or is it the tach?

I have learned a lot by just not being afraid to dig around, but pics always help.

For example, where is the carpet attached? Is it glued only? Nails? Screws with fancy grommets? I know this can vary by year, but it never hurts to have more evidence.

I plan to install my carpet this summer with warmer temps - and I cannot figure out where some of the pieces go on my roadster. For example - part #30 in this pic https://www.thesamba.com/vw//forum/album_page.php?pic_id=2065179

Seems like it sort of tucks into the pocket behind the door pillar somehow - but I can't quite work it out. A picture here would save me a lot of headaches. I know your cab doesn't have the same carpet unfortunately for me haha.

Thank you so much for helping all us newbies to put our cars back together!
Slip356
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Picture of under dash routing? Reply with quote

I was able to take pics under the dash of my 62 early B cab. However I haven’t figured out how to post on the Samba, I can send them by e-mail however if you send your e-mail address. Will ask my wife to help me post on the Samba. She’s better at this stuff
Dick Mickle
[email protected]
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: