Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Wow! This is amazing. I usually lurk in the Barndoor forum but glad I ventured here for the history, the knowledge, and the epic build.

Best of luck with the restoration Wink
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Found also the part in Ludvigsen's book ”Battle for the Beetle” regarding the VW166 body dies assessed by the British, page 150:

"Although the works could not then produce its (VW166) four-wheel-drive system for lack of certain forgings, it still had the the complex and costly dies for the steel pressings that made up its sophisticated hull. Ivan Hirst took care to set these aside for possible future use".

"The general (assessing the VW166) came in a Jeep," Hirst recalled, " and we had a contest with a Schwimmwagen. It easily went where the Jeep couldn't. As a result of these trials he tried to get the British government interested in the Schwimmwagen but was told that no money was available for that sort of thing. So I had to let the dies go."

And on my behalf, excellent job in saving this fire damaged vehicle!
Mr Slug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Some great posts, full of fascinating insightful information - thanks for posting.

Here are a few shots, of British Army ‘Top Brass’ attending a 166 test, and looks like the girlfriend was invited too Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Really pleased to see that you've made a start on this. Looking forward to updates as you progress.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weyax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Ahh my little Hirst Käfer in the backgrund Laughing

and my mother in a swim.

Good shoots Sluggy Shocked out of a good book!!!

Salut
Mr Slug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the positive comments, and really nice to see some familiar names over here Very Happy

A little update on Phoenix - I had bought some replacement panels from the Czech Republic, but at the last moment I decided Id rather put the time and effort into repairing the damaged ones that I have.

Now I have elected to keep the combat damage, and accepted this will never be the smartest 166, it may as well be as original as I can make it.
I am aiming to increase the ratio of original to replacement steel, and as the balance increases in favour of original, so it follows that straight, unmarked pieces decreases - never mind.

So, here is a nice remade part from CZ, that will be left out.
In favour of a repaired part.

And, when parting the two sections by removing the spot welds, it revealed inside the previously hidden channel . . . . . .

. . . . The now familiar, and increasingly frequent bullet strikes.

obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Shocked

Might be interesting to find out what kind of round it is and what nation was using it at the time.

Great work.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Orby1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Hi Mark!! I hope you're well fella.
I saw yesterday that the guys at WW2VW in Poland have just made a batch of Type-166 exhausts - just thought I'd let you know, if you didn't already. Smile
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Further research regarding VW166 body production:

The 125 preseries bodies were made at Ambi-Budd and vehicles assembled at the Porsche workshop in Stuttgart. Then the first serial production Schwimmwagen was built on 7 July 1942 at Fallersleben (Volkswagenwerk) BUT bodies were delivered from Ambi-Budd until end of 1942 up to body number 705. It took some time to launch the body production and the facilities were not ready when production started in July 1942. From body number 706 the bodies were pressed and built in Fallersleben until the end of production August 1944.
mikeandkirsti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

This VW166 is serial number 7-000649, built 31 December 1942 and is one of the last with an Ambi-Budd built body so the Ambi-Budd plate is original after all (last Ambi-Budd body is Nr. 705; body number is not necessarily the same as serial number though in this case it appears to be):

And this is how originally VW added the serial number to the Ambi-Budd bodies, later VW built bodies had the number stamped on a separate triangular piece of sheet metal spot welded to the body in the same location:
DrHAX
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Mr Slug wrote:
. . . . The now familiar, and increasingly frequent bullet strikes.

Be curious to get measurements, but as a collector of soviet weapons that looks like a 7.62x54r. Which is the round used for the Mosin nagant rifles as well as machine guns like the DPS.

Check if the bullet has a steel core with a magnet and measure it’s outside diameter. Bores of these rifles are between .311-.313

A vehicle like this would have easily been a target of a sniper or a squad. If you see numerous strikes in the same area it’s most likely a victim to a DPS, or if you see only one bullet hole it might have been a sniper. It wasn’t uncommon for soviet snipers to use aircraft 7.62x54r to target things due to their accuracy and armor piercing being superior.

I find the battle damage to be fascinating as it gives insight to the history of this vehicle. If it only it could tell it’s tale. The eastern front was brutal.
split-oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

I have no words!!

congratulations and thanks for rescuing that schwimmwagen.
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

10+ years ago, a friend purchased a 41 Kubel, which we collected in bits & pieces from the seller. The rear door always interested me, as although very solid & original, it had some very strange damage, which I have always assumed was caused by a bullet. Shame the camera focused on the distance and not the door, but it clearly shows the damage.
Mr Slug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Progress -

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Mr Slug wrote:
Progress -

WOW Amazing work!!! Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weyax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Whow, still alive old boy Very Happy

Looks good again that toasted old bathtube Wink

Salut out of Germany

Alex Wink
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

beautiful work.
Mr Slug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind comments, they are very much appreciated.

Hey Alex - yes, still alive and glad to see you are still with us too.
Keep safe Feller. and best wishes.
Mr Slug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

At last . . . . . . . .

VWDog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel and Schwimmwagen destroyed in fire in Amsterdam Reply with quote

Unreal work! Congratulations! The world of VW history has benefited from your talents and perseverance.

1970 Lotus White Single Cab 2015- , 1979 Sage Green 2014-2015, 1978 Dakota Beige Westy 2012-2015, 1978 Neptune Blue Riviera 2012-2017 , 1970 Neptune Blue Bus 2010-2012, 1970 Deluxe Savannah Beige 2010-2012, 1985 Iltis 2010- , 1962 Single Cab 2010-2013, 1975 Brasilia? Bay/Split Kombi from Brazil 2008-2011, 1985 DoKa 1999-2009, 1971 Bus 1999-2000, 1968 Double Cab 1991-1998, 1965 Ghia 1987-1991, 1970 Westfalia-bought by Mum and Dad in 1970, sold by me in 1993 why-oh-why :_(
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: