Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

fokker100 wrote:
Awesome pics, a beautiful bus!

That’s good news that Lanner is working on a late bay conversion, he should upgrade the brakes in the rear as well, as I honestly don’t know what to put there, his knowledge will be awesome.
Do you plan to upgrade the rear as well?
I know the original brakes are amazing on the bus, but sometimes the way we drive those nowadays, I won’t be unhappy to put discs in place of drums one day with this kind of engine and mountain driving.

Thank you for the compliments!

As for the rear, I do plan to swap to disc there too. I had originally planned to DIY something after getting these fronts done, but after talking with Lanner, he's planning a rear disk kit for bays that uses rear Cayman parts that has an integral parking brake setup inside the rotor. He's hoping to get that dialed in over the winter, so I think I'm going to sit tight a bit and see how that pans out. He's already aware of my interest in the kit Laughing

As for the necessity of rear disks, that's certainly debatable. I can confidently say that the stock rear drums and front Cayman setup is VERY MUCH a capable combo. I had to do a quick panic type stop this past weekend while cruising home from the ATL meetup. Was admittedly distracted watching a bicyclist that was coming across the road at an angle towards me from the opposite late, and when he got clear (he came around behind me) I looked ahead only to realize everyone was completely stopped in the middle of the road for something else up ahead. I had to jump all over the brakes and pulled it all down in a hurry. Pretty impressive response in the brakes TBH. Dude on the bicycle ended up riding back up past me and was like "nice stop" Rolling Eyes Glad I didn't end up plowing the back of that Toyota Camry Embarassed

But you are right though, the way we drive these now (and the way others drive around us), its not a bad idea to have greater capability. I know the rest of my powertrain is significantly higher performing than the stock parts, so why wouldn't I make the brakes the same? Regardless of how good the stock stuff might have been in its day.

The biggest advantage to me in going disk in the rear too are brakes that don't need to be adjusted, again have better heat capacity, etc, etc. Plus they would look the part better behind those big old Porsche wheels Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Ride_On
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Fantastic! And great news that Lanner has a late Bay. I should really contact him about doing similar with our 5x112 wheels. I'll throw in some interest for 4 wheel upgrade too... (Skills is likely sharing his head at me now...) 😀

Where did you source your calipers? New? Remanufactured?

Happy driving!
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Ride_On wrote:
Fantastic! And great news that Lanner has a late Bay. I should really contact him about doing similar with our 5x112 wheels. I'll throw in some interest for 4 wheel upgrade too... (Skills is likely sharing his head at me now...) 😀

Where did you source your calipers? New? Remanufactured?

Happy driving!

The 5x112 would be the tough part. All the Porsche parts are 5x130, so to do similar with 5x112 would require a full custom machined front hub, redrilled rotors, etc, etc. That's basically what Nate/Wagenswest brakes kits are, just with Wilwoods.

For my calipers, I went new. Let me tell you, be prepared for sticker shock. Reman is an option that can save a few bucks, but at least when I was looking (and even now), there are no reman calipers available on the market. These calipers are a very popular swap for a ton of different cars, so I think used ones get snatched up pretty quick, meaning there isn't a lot of cores for Cardone/etc to get their hands on to reman. Another options is take offs found on Ebay, pick-n-pulls, etc. Even those can be pretty pricey. The low cost ones sell very quickly. With some good hunting though, deals can be found. For me, I just bit the bullet and bought new.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

I'd be interested in a rear kit. Ive been thinking about trying to find some different compound front pads to test out on my stock system.

My brakes are gone through and operating correctly and work great for maybe about the first couple seconds in a panic situation. After that is frightening.

I've never driven another car that has the brake fade that a bus has. After a few seconds in a hard stop and it seems like they lose 50% of their power. After that, they cool off and you are good to go again. But damn, I'd like to do something about the fade.
fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I will wait and see but the future looks bright with Lanner engineering it Smile
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Guess its time for another long over due update Embarassed

As per usual, the Bus has needed absolutely nothing other than gas and go. I'm right at 10k miles since the swap has been finished, and have ZERO regrets. Such an awesome machine.

Been running it around quite a bit lately with the weather turning into spring around, and being absolutely beautiful around here. Whether its just a quick trip down the local trail for an easy walk, or a (death) hike up through the mountains with all the kids in tow just to go see the dam from the over look, the Bus has been our machine of choice to get us there and back. Also have enjoyed a few nice drives back and forth to work too boot. This thing is HARD to beat. Just a few obligatory adventure pics. First one loading up on the way out, and the second on a mid trip break in a local park.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've also torn into several other small projects as time has allowed. In no particular order:

Vent Covers
Recently scored some westy vent block off covers for the under dash vent system. Mine originally of course would have tied into the door panel vents, but since those are long gone and I have smooth Werksberg panels, I've always wanted to get the giant holes capped off under the dash. Snagged these off of FB, and with a quick scrub and paint, they were ready to go on. Really finished out the look under dash I think.

Steering Box
Next up was a new steering box to hopefully tighten up the front end. My OG ZF box was getting pretty worn in the housing/output shaft area, and had some lateral movement in the shaft before it would rotate. Everything else under the front end is new, so this piece was the last hold out. Unfortunately new TRW boxes are no longer available, but I found this JP Dansk (?) box on AutohausAZ. It is at least distributed by a German company, although its origin I'm sure is from somewhere far cheaper. However, it is what I can actually get my hands on, so I'm giving it a shot. I did nothing more than give it a good coat of paint, filled it with oil, installed it, centered it, and made some small adjustment for free play. Don't have much time on it yet, but so far so good. Seems to have helped the Bus. The big tell will be the next highway trip. We'll see. Hardest part with the replacement was getting the pitman arm pulled off, but with a few tricks, I finally popped loose. Ultimately I'd like to see if the ZF box can be remachined, but I think its been dry so I don't have high hopes for its insides. We'll see, and I'll post up here when I tear it open.

The old ZF box removed from service.

The new JP Dansk box after its fresh coat of paint in the painting tree Laughing

Pretty easy install, just piloted the Bus right up on the ole' race ramps and had plenty of room to work

And fully installed

Shock Swap
Last up is new shocks. I'm swapping everything over to a new set of KYB Gas-adjust. I previously ran the Excel-G's up front with Gas-Adjusts in the rear. No complaints, but hoping that the new Gas-Adjusts up front are a touch firmer in compression, as my large wheel/tire combo and suspension in my factory wheel tub is really at the limit. With the Bus loaded I do get some consistent rubbing on big bumps. Need to also drop back to a 45 series front tire, and ultimately tub, but not looking to cut on anything anytime soon. The rears are getting swapped too, as I'm not sure how long my current rears have been on the Bus.

The goods

Shiny!

And done.... Also, still loving my brakes from Lanner!!!

All I got for now. Got some more things in the works, and will update here if/when they get in motion Laughing

67 Beetle (TBD)

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

still hands down my favorite bus on the samba

amazing that you don't have to futz with it...gas and go is a beautiful thing

of all the buses i service the swapped ones get more miles than the aircooled ones.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
still hands down my favorite bus on the samba

amazing that you don't have to futz with it...gas and go is a beautiful thing

of all the buses i service the swapped ones get more miles than the aircooled ones.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Its a fun Bus for sure. I've certainly put more miles on this thing than many of my aircooled VW's before it. Its just too easy.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Beautiful swap Vee Dub Nut!

Read through from the beginning but couldn't find anything on whether you tied in the original gas tank venting system and charcoal canister from your bus to your intake. I couldn't see anything in the pics either. Did you use them or do something different?

I've recently finished my own Subaru swap into a 76 Westy Automatic, but upgraded to a Vanagon Automatic transaxle for the external tranny cooler option. Absolutely love it.

DB
76 Westy Automatic
Subaru 2.5L SOHC
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Beautiful swap Vee Dub Nut!

Read through from the beginning but couldn't find anything on whether you tied in the original gas tank venting system and charcoal canister from your bus to your intake. I couldn't see anything in the pics either. Did you use them or do something different?

I've recently finished my own Subaru swap into a 76 Westy Automatic, but upgraded to a Vanagon Automatic transaxle for the external tranny cooler option. Absolutely love it.

DB
76 Westy Automatic
Subaru 2.5L SOHC

Thanks DB! Its been a fun project, and the end result has been a very enjoyable bus to own and drive!

Regarding the charcoal canister, no, I don't have any of that in there at the moment. The stock stuff was in pretty sad shape and partly missing before the swap, and on the 74 the canister is mounted to the firewall which conflicts with the EJ25 intake. So when I did the swap I just removed the canister, and so far haven't tried to remount it (also, I think the canister would need to be refreshed anyways). Currently the tank vent lines are just tee'd together, and then left open to the atmosphere like early bays where (have a hose that runs outside of the engine bay). I kind of expected to get some fuel vapor smell from it being arranged this way, but in practice that has been an issue at all. No fuel smells in the shop/garage when its parked after being ran.

The Subaru purge valve under the intake manifold isn't hooked to anything. To be honest, I can't even remember if its plugged in or not. I've had it both ways when I was trying to eliminate nuisance codes early on.

Adam

67 Beetle (TBD)

Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Thanks Adam.
I mounted my canister just behind the top lid and plumbed in the gas tank vents and the crankcase/head breathers. Not nearly as neat and clean as yours.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Time for another long over due update... Interestingly, I'm a 1 year to date since my LAST long over due update Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'll just try to hit the high points, and do a photo dump.

Starting where I left off last year, I had replaced my OG ZF steering box with a new replacement from JP Dansk. What a pile of hot garbage that was. Initially went in and adjusted OK. Took a trip up to north GA to visit a buddy, had to do a three point lock to lock turn without rolling to get turned around on his driveway on the side of a mountain. This obviously puts a lot of load into the box. Immediately I noticed I picked up a bunch of freeplay in the gear. Drove home cautiously, readjusted the box per the bently procedure, and it was back to normal. Did another lock to lock test on the box without moving again, and sure enough, had freeplay in it again.

At that point I went back to the drawing board. Got my original ZF box out and torn down on the table. I was surprised to see how good of shape everything was in. Although it had been leaking, there was still plenty of oil in it, and the innards looks pretty good. I did determine that it was WAY over adjusted though. Sourced some new seals, spent some time cleaning and inspecting everything, and then reassembled with some Deere corn head grease. After getting it installed and properly adjusted, the Bus drives and steers like a dream. I sent that POS JP Dansk box back. I'd STRONGLY caution folks away from that junk.

Original box

On the table, apart for inspection and cleaning

Reassembly time!

Next big change was around May 2021. A couple of family members (and myself) all pitched in and I purchased a new steering wheel from Aircooled Accessories out of the UK for my birthday. This, like my Bug-tech shifter, is a bit of splurge and kind of spendy, but something that has been worth every penny to me since. I absolutely love the wheel. The quality is super high, and it looks absolutely fantastic.

Before

After

And now for the not so great... I did fall victim to the tow truck this past year. Kind of a fluke deal IMO, but I did have a radiator failure. Long story short, some how a small rock (small enough to get past the cage on the fan) got up into the radiator and fan assembly, and my fan successfully batted it into a nice projectile and dinged one of my radiator tubes. And to those that will immediately comment about how venerable the radiator is down below, the fully "exposed" bottom side of the radiator is completely fine. Such is life sometimes. "Broke down" in about the best way possible. Found the problem right after pulling into my in-laws place. It was a decent enough leak that I didn't want to chance it, so it took the ride of shame back home. Pretty easy fix. For time sake, I ordered another radiator and relocated the tubes like before, and I was back in business before the next weekend. Added some screens to the fan to make sure nothing can get into them again. To make lemonade out of lemons though, I took my punctured radiator to the local rad shop and got it repaired, so now I have it as a back up in case I ever need it.

The ride of shame

The leak (clearly you can see the fan had been batting some debris around, based on some of the fin damage)

New radiator

Fan Screens

67 Beetle (TBD)

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

that sucks

collectively i'm at 300k with all the swaps and have yet to lose a radiator

i'm going to shoot you a p/m

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Beyond that little bit of a hiccup, we've been just putting the miles on it. Due to a variety of reasons we didn't get quite as many on this year, but we are just over 13k total now I think??? Beyond the unfortunate radiator issue, its just been normal gas and go, with routine oil changes. Pretty hard to beat.

Did develop a pedal pulsation somewhere along the way last year. Pretty quickly identified the source as some out of round rear drums. Easy fix with a quick turn, and we were on our way again.

And now just a photo drop of a bunch of random pics from the past year

Bugs on the Hooch down in Columbus GA last year

Another HD run. Always putting the rack to good use. Hauls those long boards better than my short box 3/4 ton Dodge LOL

The family hauler! Some pictures just come out really cool. Something about lighting or angle, not really sure, but I always liked this one.

Got lightly rear ended coming home from work one hot summer afternoon. Lady that bumped into me was cool and took care of everything. Was able to just get the bumper straightened back out to my liking anyways. Was just thankful it was nothing more than an inconvenience

One of our regular day trips for hiking with the family, and then a stop in downtown Dallas on the way back

Christmas 2021, all lit up and ready to go

Our annual Christmas light cruise with the kiddos. They were pretty tired by this point LOL

And another day out hiking. Family outings like this is EXACTLY why I built this Bus. So much fun to load up and take off. Don't know if the kids really understand how unique it is. To them its just normal, just part of the family. I think they will look back with fond memories someday.

Stable mates with my '67 T1. Been doing a lot of work on the Beetle again this past year, so apart from just cruises, the Bus has been mostly on the back burner

This now brings us up to the present, where I've finally bit off on a project that I've been thinking about forever.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:36 am; edited 3 times in total
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

So my current project is finally tackling the interior in this thing. As you may remember, I had picked up a set of 914 buckets at one point, but ultimately never got them installed. Just didn't like them well enough to go through all the trouble/expense to get them mounted and recovered. However this left my seat problem unresolved. Something I've just dealt with, but some more recent leg and back issues really pushed this back to the forefront. To get anywhere near enough room for my legs to swing across the column getting in and out, and having room to drive, the base of my stock seat had to be pushed ALL the way back. This left the back rest almost completely vertical, and put a lot of pressure on the rear end. With my more recent leg/back issues, it got to be only about 30 minutes of driving before it was torture. Something had to be done.

My solution: No bulkhead and Vanagon seats.

I've toyed with this idea for a LONG time, but never really did anything about it. I don't take cutting on the Bus lightly, but lets be honest, this is a forever Bus for us, and its not something that has its value tied to its originality. So why not make it comfortable??

Once I finally made the decision to do it, I went in full bore.

Picked up a full set of Vanagon seats from FB market place. Kept the front buckets, and then sold the rest for only $50 less than I bought the whole lot for. Lovely color of 80's blue grey LOL

A little before picture for good measure

Stripped and ready for carnage

Started by getting the old seat tracks out

Then out came the death wheel. First I had planned to leave about half the bulk head in place. Thought this might be a good compromise to keep the strength, but give room for the seats to recline. In the end though, I didn't like the look, so they came all the way out instead

Marked out and ready

Like a hot knife through butter

Rinse and repeat

Tried the seats in for size

Thought it looked kind of odd and out of place with the half height bulkhead, so I made the decision to go all in (or all out rather LOL).

Next up was seat mounts. Got some reproduction late 76+ seat tracks from Buttys Bits. Due to differences in the wheel tub on the late vs early buses, the outside track has to be shimmed up ~3/8 of an inch. Used some flat bar as a spacer. Did some beveling for fit, and knocked some holes in it for aesthetics and weight reduction.

When VW removed the bulkhead, the added the little small triangular gusset back to strengthen the B-pillars. I considered an exact replication, but then decided to do something a little different. Wanted to make the gusset bigger overall (it runs ~9" up the b-pillar, and about 10.5" in on the wheel tub), so I took some measurements and drew up a model in Solid Works. Added the VW logo to give it something extra I guess LOL

Quick work on the CNC plasma table

Then it was time to weld it all in. Probably went a little overkill, but I'd rather go over than under

Got all the mounts in and just in primer for now. Need to get some color matched paint on order, but threw all the interior back in so I could drive it in the mean time.

With the hard work done, I can now pull the trigger on the Sewfine order for all new seat covers front and back. Pretty excited to finally get the interior all done and matching in this thing.

The Vangon seats make a HUGE difference overall. Soooo much more room now, and lot more comfortable. The arm rests are super nice as well. Its a whole different driving experience. The seats are firmer, so you feel the chassis/suspension working a little more. Not harsh at all, just a more connected feel the Bus.

Kind of rushed through this update to get it posted on my lunch break. I'll add more comments later.

All for now!

67 Beetle (TBD)

Last edited by Vee Dub Nut on Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:26 am; edited 4 times in total
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

A+ work as always - welds sure do look good!
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Nice touch with the strengthening plates! Having better seats makes those road trips more comfortable. My bus didn't have front seats when I got it and my 2nd row Ford minivan seats have worked out well.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
that sucks

collectively i'm at 300k with all the swaps and have yet to lose a radiator

i'm going to shoot you a p/m

Yea, kind of a kick in the nuts, but that's life sometimes. Got it fixed/swapped, and made some changes to prevent the problem in the future. Life moves on.

cmonSTART wrote:
A+ work as always - welds sure do look good!

Thanks! I manage ok with the welder. I don't mig often (usually use the tig torch most often), but my little Hobart 140 mig does the job when called on. I probably went a little overkill on everything, but rather be safe than sorry.

Shonandb wrote:
Nice touch with the strengthening plates! Having better seats makes those road trips more comfortable. My bus didn't have front seats when I got it and my 2nd row Ford minivan seats have worked out well.

Thanks! I like how the gussets came out. I was a little on the fence after drawing them up, thought it might be a little much, but then decided hey why not. Pretty happy with the result. And your right on the seats. I drove it to work today (about an hr each way), and man do they make a difference. Looking forward to getting all the seats recovered and matching.

67 Beetle (TBD)

fokker100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

Nice to read you again! 😃
Beautiful work as always 😁
And you are absolutely right, we are missing about 4 inches in the back of the front seats. It is surprising knowing the Germans usually are not small.
I bought 944 seats and one Vanagon seat to get 2 arm rests as I already have armrests in the door panels. Will see how it fits…
But don’t expect any updates on my side soon, not until next winter I think, as I moved somewhere else but need to build another garage.
Lanner has sent the modified hubs though, and I decided to go with the Red9 wishbone. So everything is stored for now.
I will work in Europe until end of June, so I will use the bus as is and will probably plan a visit to Skills during a surf trip to Maine this summer for the first time since the build! (Unless they close the border again 😝)
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vee Dub Nut's 74 Bay Transporter (& Subaru EJ25 Swap) Reply with quote

fokker100 wrote:
Nice to read you again! 😃
Beautiful work as always 😁
And you are absolutely right, we are missing about 4 inches in the back of the front seats. It is surprising knowing the Germans usually are not small.
I bought 944 seats and one Vanagon seat to get 2 arm rests as I already have armrests in the door panels. Will see how it fits…
But don’t expect any updates on my side soon, not until next winter I think, as I moved somewhere else but need to build another garage.
Lanner has sent the modified hubs though, and I decided to go with the Red9 wishbone. So everything is stored for now.
I will work in Europe until end of June, so I will use the bus as is and will probably plan a visit to Skills during a surf trip to Maine this summer for the first time since the build! (Unless they close the border again 😝)

Thank you!

Yea, if your on the tall or big side at all, these things get pretty tight and uncomfortable quick. I know removing the bulkheads is sort of looked down upon a lot, but man does it make a huge difference. When it comes down to that or just not being able to really comfortably use the Bus, I'd rather change it to suit. At least for my latebay, it just makes it look like a 78/79 model, so nothing too drastic in the grans scheme of things. I'll be anxious to see how your 944 seats come out too.

Glad to hear that Lanner got you sorted out. Do you have the a-arm front end from Red9 already? If so, what are your throughts? That's something I've always rolled around in my head too. My current setup is working pretty well, but I would like some better geometry and a real rack and pinion steering setup.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: