Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Estate Planning and the Old VWs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Have someone sell the cars and invest the proceeds.

^^^this

so let's say you go tits up tomorrow in a water skiing accident when a trout beans you in the temple. how much per year would just the storage cost until he decides he doesn't want the rat shit filled bus?

i don't know anyone on this planet that would store something for free for 18 years, let alone a year or 2.

true story:

my grandfather and i worked on his shortbed 62 F100 when i was a kid. we hauled bricks from a mill that was being torn down, chipped all the mortar off and he built all sorts of stuff with them.

we also hauled stones for his wall etc etc. he took a dirt nap in '98. i was 18, almost 19. when i was in my early teens i wanted him to work on the truck with me and give it to me when i could drive.

it sat at my grandmothers house from his death in '98 till about 2002 when i bought my first house. by 2004 my grandmother had a hot nut to get rid of it because she was tired of looking at it.

at that point, i didn't even want it anymore. neat truck, but meh... would have meant more if we worked on it together. anyway, called a junk yard and off it went.

so unless you 1) have indoor storage now it's not worth the headache. 2) if your wife marries the ski boat operator and she moves he may not want it either.

trust me, the last thing a widow wants is a car laying around

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

Collect and horde till your final days, leave no clear plan or direction, expire and let the family have a big auction after cherry picking what they want ( and fighting over it). Its the American way. Having worked in the estate liquidation business over the years, the best thing to transmit is cash not possessions. Its late in the game for ICE powered cars anyway, its sort of like asking "who will take my horse and buggy" in 1910. I'll make damn sure everything I own is liquidated before my demise.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

Even if current plans to go EV exclusive by 2035, which they won’t, it will take 30 years to wind down the inventory of real cars.

By then I’ll be 115 so I’ll be sucking on kale shakes with skills laughing down at all the windup toys from Heaven.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

so let's say you go tits up tomorrow in a water skiing accident when a trout beans you in the temple.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I guess if it's your time, it's your time.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I guess if it's your time, it's your time.

the way i look at it, my ticket has been punched, i'm just waiting for my number to be called.

i told my wife should i cash out, don't do anything for a year. we have the means to do that. then i told her to bide her time and sell things as she sees fit.

she's also smart enough not to sell things at 'fire sale' prices but also realistic enough to sell at current market value.

the last thing i want for her is to be burdened by my collection of shit. if she plays her cards right she'd have a handsome payout as i never really collected junk.

i would say i have 90% good "shit" and 10% "shit shit" you know, the little scraps of trash you "may need" to make something else work. the reality is i do a purge every 6 months to a year anyway to keep the trash from building up

the older i have gotten the more i realize 'less is more' and it isn't worth being a slave to any of it. just not worth the hassle of being handcuffed to a bunch of crap that doesn't matter

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

Mmmm, trout and beans at skills house in 2021.

Try the kale, too.
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

My professional (not legal) advice as an attorney, talk to an estate planning attorney to make sure that your family is able to get what is appropriate after you die.

Remember, the cars mean something to YOU. They will not mean the same to anyone else.

You will be dead, don’t try to tell your heirs what they should do with the crap you accumulated. Leave your heirs money, not rusty junk.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

the older i have gotten the more i realize 'less is more' and it isn't worth being a slave to any of it. just not worth the hassle of being handcuffed to a bunch of crap that doesn't matter

Years ago, friends said I should sell some of my VW stuff. I told them when i need them I won't be able to get them if I did.

At 65 I realized that i'll never use 95% of it and that it's easier to move $10,000 in cash than 1000 pounds of stuff i will never need.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Years ago, friends said I should sell some of my VW stuff. I told them when i need them I won't be able to get them if I did.

At 65 I realized that i'll never use 95% of it and that it's easier to move $10,000 in cash than 1000 pounds of stuff i will never need.

"The things you own end up owning you"
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Well start selling now!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

I’ve got a scrap steel place ten minutes from the house that gives me more than the plonkers in VW world want to pay. Ezpz
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:
Glenn wrote:

Well start selling now!

Already did. Sold most of my NOS parts since they only collect dust.

I had a collection of NOS distributors including a few Bosch 010s, 019s and a Screamer kit. They sat in a box under my workbench and maybe every 5 or so years i'd pull it out and check on them... yup they're still there. Finally decided to sell them. Most are now sitting in someone else's "collection" but a few were put into service including the Screamer that went into a GTV restoration.

Now I can look at my bank account instead.

BTW, my favorite parts was a NOS set of vert semaphores I traded for with (2) 540mb hard drives, which you could no longer find. The guy got them at in an auto parts store he closed out and needed some small hard drives for 2 old PCs. I never had a early vert and after holding them for 20 years... sold them for a tidy sum.

We've all seen the show American Pickers. They get calls from families where the father passed and they want to sell the tons of stuff he collected. They are lucky if 1% is is sold and the rest goes to the trash.

So don't assume your STUFF will have any value to your family after you're gone. It will most likely be a burden.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

ALLWAGONS wrote:

Well start selling now!

i have been. basically whatever i have that won't keep my fleet on the road is getting the ax.

i was never the guy that bought stuff for the simple fact of buying stuff. most of my "collection" came from buying parts cars as i found it easier to have a car or 2 on hand when i did a build. it was a lot less aggravation than chasing a part or unresponsive seller.

i was real big in watercooled stuff. just recently i sold off or scrapped a bunch of engines.

even in a perfect world when i get down to "bare bones" there will still be a lot left....like the contents of the shop (tool boxes, welders, compressor etc) so the more i can purge now the better.

Everett kinda nailed it... "The things you own end up owning you" and there is some truth to that. on top of the VW shit i have the farm shit...skid steers, loaders, bull dozers, haybine etc.... all of that needs constant attention as well, but can't go anywhere as long as i live here. best i can do is keep it in top shape for the sale when i take a dirt nap.

it's amazing the amount of stuff you amass...some by choice and others by necessity

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

Hold an auction when you die. Let your kids and relatives bid on whatever cars and parts and other stuff they want, no cherry picking before hand.

Its easier and fairest that way. They decide what its worth to keep it, and its sold immediatly if they dont want it. The money goes into the pot to be split with the rest of the inheritors after the auction. Chance of fighting over stuff and theft goes down considerably.

25 years ago I watched my Grandparents burden their 5 kids with 5 acres of a 40 year collection of classic cars, car parts, junk cars and accumulated junk upon thier death. It took a 1.5 year span to clean the property enough to even hold an auction for the rest of it. A couple of my uncles snagged a bunch of stuff as they were cleaning, and never threw the fmv of it into the inheritance kitty. And in the end, the auction only brought 25% of estimate and there was 1 car that all the kids wanted but nobody would actually pony up and pay for. finally 1 Aunt took it and fought for it legally. 3 of the 5 kids are on non speaking terms since 1999 over a lifetime of thier parents "stuff".

I told my parents Im not dealing with their junk. I tell them monthly to start selling, start cleaning and start prepping for the sell off. They are healthy enough now to do it themselves, a little at a time. I told them when they go, Im hiring an auction company so sell it all as is where is, and im cleaning out thier bank account. Im not stepping foot in the house again. Im not sorting through thier lifetime of garbage, and im not putting thier grandkids through what i watched happen to them.

Auction it, get rid of it all. Let the kids spend the money however they want and accumulate thier own hoards of whatever interests them. If you think you need to put it in some kind of trust to babysit the money, or dole out a little each year, you not doing a very good job teaching them the life skill of how to manage money while you are still alive.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Estate Planning and the Old VWs Reply with quote

Well said Fritz.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: