Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Can anyone recommend a long shifter than is comfortable to use?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
the_8th_dwarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Can anyone recommend a long shifter than is comfortable to use? Reply with quote

What I mean by comfortable to use is that you don't have to lean forward in your seat to reach the knob in gears 1 and 3 (I currently have a stock shifter in my 4 speed manual 69 bug). I've found that I can either lean back in my seat comfortably, OR reach forward to use the shifter and have control over my vehicle....which is a hard choice for me to make most of the time.

I know I can't be the only one with this problem. This EMPI shifter on jbug caught my eye, since it is angled back, but the "long" version is only an inch and a half longer than the regular one. They are currently out of stock, so if anyone can recommend a good alternative I would appreciate that.

I also couldn't help but notice this VW bus shifter, which looks pretty fly to me, although I'm not sure if it would be compatible. Anyone tried this?
bug-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone recommend a long shifter than is comfortable to use? Reply with quote

checkout appletreeauto.com and put shifter extension in the search box
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone recommend a long shifter than is comfortable to use? Reply with quote

Is your current shifter perfectly vertical? If so, you can replace it with an older bent one. You need to have a slot in your shift rod cup if you want the earlier bent-back stock shifter.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone recommend a long shifter than is comfortable to use? Reply with quote

You may not wish to spend this much but these guys make fantastic products.
https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CUSTOM-Classic-Shifter-with-Extra-Bend-p132902462
They are also great for extremely fast service, even from overseas. I've bought from them several times and continue to be impressed.
the_8th_dwarf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Can anyone recommend a long shifter than is comfortable to use? Reply with quote

KAmes wrote:
You may not wish to spend this much but these guys make fantastic products.
https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/CUSTOM-Classic-Shifter-with-Extra-Bend-p132902462
They are also great for extremely fast service, even from overseas. I've bought from them several times and continue to be impressed.

Looks great but I would honestly tape a drumstick onto my shifter before I spent $600 on a damn shift stick. I ended up going with the screw-on extender that bug-man recommended - love the simplicity of that!
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Can anyone recommend a long shifter than is comfortable to use? Reply with quote

The easy way is one of those EMPI shifters. Quite a few of them listed on ebay right now. The harder way is an earlier angled shifter, in which case you need to remove the shift rod and slot it. About 50 years ago I did that on my 71 Ghia. You would need to use a grniding wheel, and keep in mind it needs to be a fairly close fit to the pin on the shifter ball, otherwise the shifter will want to rotate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: