Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
btripp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

As promised:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Foam came from Foam Factory Inc (www.foambymail.com), and I have been very happy with it. I ordered two separate pieces and did some cutting.

(NOTE: if you're doing this, these dimensions are slightly larger than was required. I was concerned that there might be too much variation in the accuracy of the cut that Foam Factory made. I want to say there's a disclaimer on their website that cuts are +- 1/2" or something. The actual cuts I received were far more accurate, and I would order exact dimensions if I were doing this again. Didn't make any difference, but would save some work.)

The types and dimensions I ordered were:

1 Cushion, Lux Foam - High Quality 3" X 37" X 47" - $64.13
1 Cushion, Lux Foam - High Quality 4" X 40" X 57" - $112.10
Total cost, shipped = $176.23

The 3" cushion was for the engine hatch piece (because it sits slightly higher than the bench), and the 4" was for the bench and I cut it in halfish to make the seat and back. As you can see from the pics, it all came out really level. Note that these are approximately 1" thicker than the stock foam was. I decided to do this in order to make it more comfortable. That was a very good decision.

-Ben

91 Vanagon Transporter - Stock
btripp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

In these pics you can see how the foam came and then expanded nicely once removed from the packaging.

Like I said, foam was larger than needed, so order using more exact measurements. Cut easily:

Spray foam install:

Fabric was ordered from Bus Depot, and I have been very happy with it. It looks great and is a good reproduction from the original. I ordered 4 yards of orange plaid for $194.66 shipped (2016). It looks like more than you need but wasn't once I made the back cushion.

Here it is laid out for perspective, with the removed pattern from the old bench seat at the bottom, and the PO recovered back cushion on the top:

btripp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

Note that the original seats were sort of tucked around the corners. Being lazy I didn't do this and just sort of gathered the fabric and stapled it down. This is a minor difference: the original foam was curved, which produced a rounded edge, but the foam I purchased has squared off edges:

How I did the corners:

btripp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

Various measurements:

In case you're the ultimate purist, here's the original glue adhesive pattern on the seat:

Lastly, I tested the flamability of the foam. It was supposedly flame resistant, but I wanted to see for myself. I couldn't get it to burn by blasting it with a lighter, so I felt like that verified:

At this point I've been using most of this for about three years and it's all really held up well. Hope this helps someone looking to do the same. Thanks for all the help Samba!

-Ben

buttonn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

Hey Ben & Jason,

I appreciate your info! I went ahead and bought the tempur-pedic topper while it was on sale. I'll make sure its not too thick before doing any cutting - thank you for the forethought. If it works then I'll get the fabric.

Yes, please post the measurements of the engine cushion when you can, otherwise I can wing it Laughing

My bus is in the shop getting the wondering steering checked out so no rush

Thanks again!

edit: wow I didn't even see the next page! That's awesome & thank you so much for the info. Super helpful
white74westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 and 1975 westy info thread FAQ Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this is the case with all '74-'75 models, but I thought I'd bring it up in case anyone else runs into any trouble in the future.

Been working on the engine in my bus. While it was out, I decided to tackle the hardboard insulation panels that sit above the engine. Mine were beginning to look tired, like most of them do at this point in their lives. Nothing too difficult as far as removal, particularly when the engine's not in the way! Wink Very Happy While I was doing this I placed an order for some Werksberg replacements, back in August 2020. Covid and the holidays really made a mess of the USPS. It took nearly 3 months to receive the panels. No worries! Wasn't in a rush. I was pretty excited to open them up and get cracking. Much to my surprise, I wasn't going to be able to get very far. The joys of owning a '74 reared its ugly head once again. Laughing Laughing Laughing

The 74 and maybe some of the 75's have some strange one-year-only things going on. This happens to be one of them. As you'll see below, the part that sits above the right side of the engine, has a different shaped support bracket for the diagnostic module:

In the image below, I have laid the original over the werksberg piece so you can see the differences and that it just won't fit:

As always, my dealings with Jim have been stellar! I sent him an email with pictures attached explaining my predicament. He stated that in all the years he's been doing this, he hadn't run across this before. I explained that the 74-75 were strange beasts. He was awesome and sent me an additional blank piece along with some scraps so that I could practice cutting before making my final attempt. I will update soon with results.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Jump to:
Page 14 of 14

Jump to: