Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 300, 301, 302 ... 415, 416, 417  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
Sad to hear on the radio this morning that Sabine Schmitz has died. She was a German racing driver. In the UK she was probably best known from appearances on Top Gear.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Schmitz

Damn, she was an amazing driver and fun to watch. I recall her trying to get the Top Gear box van around the Ring in under 10:00. It was really pretty amazing to see a slow car driven way too fast.

Also, upon reading a little more about her, I realize we share the same birthday, but she was two years older.

I too thought it was hilarious watching her get the van around that place in under 10 seconds. Yelling at the bikers to get out of her way and such while trying to do a fast lap. She was definitely putting in 110%. RIP.

It was a 10:08 BTG (Bridge To Gantry) lap of the Nordschleife, done during Touristenfahrten in a Ford Transit diesel van.

She did it in under ten minutes in a previous attempt with a different van.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:
Sad to hear on the radio this morning that Sabine Schmitz has died. She was a German racing driver. In the UK she was probably best known from appearances on Top Gear.

Damn, she was an amazing driver and fun to watch. I recall her trying to get the Top Gear box van around the Ring in under 10:00. It was really pretty amazing to see a slow car driven way too fast.

Also, upon reading a little more about her, I realize we share the same birthday, but she was two years older.

I too thought it was hilarious watching her get the van around that place in under 10 seconds. Yelling at the bikers to get out of her way and such while trying to do a fast lap. She was definitely putting in 110%. RIP.

It was a 10:08 BTG (Bridge To Gantry) lap of the Nordschleife, done during Touristenfahrten in a Ford Transit diesel van.

Do you have a link to that?

I'm familiar with the 9:59 lap she coached Jeremy Clarkson to in a Jaguar car, but I'm finding nothing to support a sub-10 minute van lap by Sabine.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

you know, and I'm sorry if this offends, I hope they take her one last time round the track....and set a lap record for a hearse!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

finster wrote:
you know, and I'm sorry if this offends, I hope they take her one last time round the track....and set a lap record for a hearse!

Yes! Perhaps driven by the Stig?
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

I would support naming a corner or section of the Nordschleife after her. Her favorite was Foxhole...

Edited to add-

Looks like Dale Lomas has started a petition that currently has over 15,000 signatures:

https://www.bridgetogantry.com/naming-a-corner-of-the-nurburgring-after-sabine-schmitz/

For those that don't know, Dale is a British guy that lives and works at the Nurburgring. His day job is as a 'Ring Taxi driver for BMW out of the little kiosk located in the Touristenfahrten parking lot across from the diner, but he also runs the "Bridge To Gantry" web site, does driver and motorcycle rider coaching, and is a racer himself. Dale's online tutorials were very helpful to us in learning the Nordschleife as much as possible before we arrived there to drive it ourselves.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

I'd like to see that link of Sabine in Top Gear also maybe someone knows the episode. This was a very interesting video of her awesome life.

So cool, 1996 and 97 she won the 24 hour race as the first woman ever and earning the title "Queen of the Nurburgring". F cancer. RIP Sabine.

Link

Gurn Blanston wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

I'm familiar with the 9:59 lap she coached Jeremy Clarkson to in a Jaguar car, but I'm finding nothing to support a sub-10 minute van lap by Sabine.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Found it and it's awesome, from here:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35863214/sabine-schmitz-top-gear-transit-nurburgring-lap/

Link

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I'd like to see that link of Sabine in Top Gear also maybe someone knows the episode. This was a very interesting video of her awesome life.

So cool, 1996 and 97 she won the 24 hour race as the first woman ever and earning the title "Queen of the Nurburgring". F cancer. RIP Sabine.

Link

Gurn Blanston wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Who.Me? wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Gurn Blanston wrote:

I went back to read the article again, and I had misread it the first time. I misunderstood that she had made the threat to do it in a van, but actually beat him in a Jaguar, not a van, that first time. My memory from that many years ago isn't as fresh as it could be.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Gurn Blanston wrote:

I went back to read the article again, and I had misread it the first time. I misunderstood that she had made the threat to do it in a van, but actually beat him in a Jaguar, not a van, that first time. My memory from that many years ago isn't as fresh as it could be.

I figured as much. When we were having beers with Sabine in Nurburg, she told my wife and I that her 10:08 lap of the Nordschleife was the fastest she'd ever done in a van to that point.

Her lap with my wife in her Porsche 911 GT3 RS was a LOT faster- about a 7:30 lap, and it because it occurred during a VLN race practice session, it was just about a full lap- the 10:08 Transit lap was only a BTG (Bridge to Gantry) lap. Big difference.
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
Found it and it's awesome, from here:
https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a35863214/sabine-schmitz-top-gear-transit-nurburgring-lap/

Link

One of the things that would not be real clear from that video unless you had actually been there and driven the Nurburgring Nordschleife at speed during Touristenfahrten, is that the Dodge Viper's primary purpose was not for her to draft- it was there to clear traffic.

The Nordschleife (German for "North Loop") is technically a one-way German toll road, that loops 12.9 miles through five villages around Nurburg Castle. When it is open for Touristenfahrten, all German road laws apply, the most important of which is NO PASSING ON THE RIGHT. When approached from the rear, slower drivers are obligated to abandon the "racing line" and move to the right until overtaken on the left. Not all drivers respond as quickly, and if Sabine had to dab the brakes to wait for someone to move out of her way, it would have killed her lap. So the Viper ran up front, flashing his lights to move people out of the way, and then accelerated again, so that Sabine was able to keep the hammer down and follow the Viper through the resulting hole in traffic.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Leeds United's all-time record goalscorer Peter Lorimer has died aged 74, the club have announced.
The former Scotland international scored 238 goals in 705 appearances for Leeds over two spells spanning 23 years.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Murray Walker passed. He was 97. His "Murrayisms" were pretty funny.

"Unless I am very much mistaken.... I AM very much mistaken!"

"Mansell is slowing down, taking it easy. Oh no he isn't IT'S A LAP RECORD."

"This is an interesting circuit, because it has inclines. And not just up, but down as well."

"The lead car is absolutely unique, except for the one behind it which is identical."

"The most important part of the car is the nut that holds the wheel."
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Steven Spurrier has died. At first, I thought it was the Heisman Trophy winner and football coach, and then found out the guy that died was a well known Napa vintner and had nothing to do with football.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Glynn Lunney, Over the course of his career, Glynn Lunney worked on NASA's Mercury, Gemini, Apollo, Skylab and Space Shuttle programs. Lunney and his team took decisive actions that allowed the astronauts of the near disastrous Apollo 13 mission to stay alive while plans for a safe return of the crew were developed. Lunney died Friday at age 84.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrBreeze
Samba Hitman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Los Angeles Lakers star and former LA Clippers exec Elgin Baylor dies at 86

WTB: Bay Shore or Queensboro VW Frames

HBB 1984-2009
RW 1943-2011
ER 1964-2023
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

MrBreeze wrote:
Los Angeles Lakers star and former LA Clippers exec Elgin Baylor dies at 86

One of the best. RIP

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
Steven Spurrier has died. At first, I thought it was the Heisman Trophy winner and football coach, and then found out the guy that died was a well known Napa vintner and had nothing to do with football.

I think made famous in a film with Alan Rickman?
HMVWNAB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Veteran actor George Segal, an Oscar nominee known for his roles in "The Goldbergs," "Look Who's Talking," and "Just Shoot Me!" has died at age 87.
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

HMVWNAB wrote:
Veteran actor George Segal, an Oscar nominee known for his roles in "The Goldbergs," "Look Who's Talking," and "Just Shoot Me!" has died at age 87.

He was great in "Just Shoot Me." "Chicken pot chicken pot chicken pot pie..."
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Celebrity Death Watch! Official RIP when they DIE thread... Reply with quote

Neil Ashcroft, Physicist at Cornell.

When you need to look something up in Solid State Physics, you looked in

"Ashcroft and Mermin"

He proposed metallic properties of Hydrogen in the 1960s, then in 2006 joined Roald Hoffmans group on a treatise of post-retirement contributions to SSP.

Interacted with him in the 1980s
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 300, 301, 302 ... 415, 416, 417  Next
Jump to:
Page 301 of 417

Jump to: