Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
veerok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
veerok wrote:
Hi! - just like to add mine into the mix and see if I can find out a little more info.

VIN 2 549 765 - Manufacture date 18th August 1959

Mine is a 1960 model Indigo Blue (L436) Beetle originally from Sweden, it's never had semaphores so it's similar to US spec, which I believe was a Swedish thing.

I've had the car for a few years now and it's had the body off, original pans repaired, brakes reworked, reconditioned pedal box, recovered seats, new rubber matts, replaced wings, deck lid, new wiring loom, got original snowflake lights and have just put a '59 engine in (not matching numbers but close enough for me!).

I've found the '60 model really quirky, much more challenging than imagined! Currently after getting the engine in I discovered about the 2 degree inclination of the engine for only this year and I believe this is causing the muffler to sit tight to the apron. I do have the red dipstick! but I will need to tweek the muffler. I wondered, does anyone have an original exhaust they can share a picture of - do they look any different? Any assistance with this would be great!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and perhaps that might help:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=444274

Hi, yeah, thank you, I may be a bit further the road than this. I know the angle and read the progressive refinements about the changes, the engine is in. Specifically I’m looking for an actual photo of the original/correct exhaust. Do they essentially look the same?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Never seen a muffler for 1960 only in the shops. In the same situation, I would strap the muffler to a work bench, use the flame on the two extention pipes, taking a long steel pipe and bend them down for ca 15mm. You can mark the length of the end pipes on the steel pipe and measure the bending at this place.
Wonder, if other peolpe also have this issue. Otherwise: Do you have the original chassis, transmission mount, tranny and nose cone?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
veerok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

pastellgreen wrote:
Never seen a muffler for 1960 only in the shops. In the same situation, I would strap the muffler to a work bench, use the flame on the two extention pipes, taking a long steel pipe and bend them down for ca 15mm. You can mark the length of the end pipes on the steel pipe and measure the bending at this place.
Wonder, if other peolpe also have this issue. Otherwise: Do you have the original chassis, transmission mount, tranny and nose cone?

For me everything is correct except the muffler and tailpipes sitting tight on the apron, I do by chance have another genuine NOS muffler I was saving for another engine, I’ve heard someone guess that the replacements maybe made to ‘fit all’ and by default take the ‘60 measurements. I will check this soon and report back.

I have seen it said that the original ‘60 exhaust is in a teardrop shape, I’m thinking especially on this page someone still has an original fitted they might be able to take a picture of (please please please).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sonoma_vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

veerok wrote:
Your Water Blue fabric seats look fantastic, as does the rest of the car.

Chorro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Our new little 1960 scored it yesterday for my wife’s 40th bday

Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Is this what the seal on the top of the master cylinder is suppose to look like? Shocked
I may have some problems with mine if that is the case haha

Also, I'm selling my stock parts since I'm wrapping up my resto project, they're posted in the classifieds if anyone is looking for anything.

(Now if only I could finish the brakes....)

veerok wrote:

Raesunshine9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Congrats!
She looks quite excited!

Chorro wrote:

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Raesunshine9 wrote:
Is this what the seal on the top of the master cylinder is suppose to look like? Shocked
I may have some problems with mine if that is the case haha

That appears to be for a dual circuit master using 10mm nipples. A stock single circuit reservoir pipe won't fit that grommet well at all.
63kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Hi - Im getting down to working on my fenders, which are all "restorable" but have the usual cracks, minor perforations etc. The left rear bolt flange is especially bad so I was considering looking for a replacement.
BUT- the fender threads I have found all focus on fronts and/or locations of turn signals etc. The "new" fenders for sale all seem to break between 1959 and 1961 with none listed for 1960.
Can someone tell me what (if anything) is the difference between a 1960 and 1961 fender? (Note- I have 1962 fenders on hand but they used the larger turn signals of course).
1968 Bug (first car- $100 03/04/80- still have it)
1972 Super Beetle
1973 Thing
1976 Type 2 (family heirloom)
1977 Westy
1981 911 SC Targa
1987 Westy
Gone but not forgotten - 63 Bug, 63 356, 64 Bug, 64 Sunroof Bug, 64 Kombi, 65 Bug, 66 Bug (2x), 66 Sunroof Bug, 67 Bug, 67 912 Targa, 69 Bug, 70 Bug, 70 Bus, 71 914, 74 412 Wagon, 74 412 Sedan.
House
Minutia Militia

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Gulf Blue January of 1961 Saxomat with 66k miles on original stale air 40 horse.
One external repaint and door swap from a parking lot incident.
Needs a lot of cleanup work from sitting outside in Oregon for the last decade.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

^ Nice!
Make sure to post up some pics after cleanup!
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

House wrote:

Needs a lot of cleanup work from sitting outside in Oregon for the last decade.

looks clean already to me. all original stuff on there, super-nice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

A friend had some material he wasn't using and I love the old patterns. Is it 61 beetle only or a few years in between?

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
A friend had some material he wasn't using and I love the old patterns. Is it 61 beetle only or a few years in between?

This material is from 8/60 to 7/61, so one year only.
It is still available, at least here in Germany.
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Looking for a sample or reference photo of "elf green" running boards for a January '61 turkis beetle. The usual forum and gallery searches have been unsuccessful to date, as have the comprehensive archives on this site. Trying to find a 60 year old running board color used for 6 months is not going to be easy.

Is the color similar to como green? Because the next question is if the rubber is not available, what is close or what can I do with vinyl paint to try to get there. First step is seeing what the color is.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

These are listed as brand new ones

I didn't know the color was called Elf Green but I assume it would match the Turqoise exterior paint

Wolfsburg West sells something but it's labeled as Como Green, I assume the color is right
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111821532ACG
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
These are listed as brand new ones

I didn't know the color was called Elf Green but I assume it would match the Turqoise exterior paint

Wolfsburg West sells something but it's labeled as Como Green, I assume the color is right
https://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111821532ACG

That’s the thing - como green appears to show up later, like August ‘61. Is that same color with a different name? I could order those from WW, but admittedly without any proof just feel that they would be wrong.
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

I went back and looked at this again in the paint/upholstery info saved on this site - como green shows up in August '61.

All turkis cars before that (so only '61) had elf green running boards. So, need to determine if elf green is in fact unique or if como green is the just the current name of elf green. Anyone?
doveblue3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Next question - Carpet

Is "malach. green" the same as "WW Green German Square weave"?

pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Official 1960-1961 registry and restoration guide thread. Reply with quote

Here I send you some pictures of an all original 1960 turquoise car. One of the first of the 61 model year.
VW never used two different names for the same thing. So for the colour-orgy they celebrated at that time you can be sure, it is almost not possible to get anything as new repros for these car, when you try to get it absolutely stock. Not the carpet, not the floor rubber mats, not the hand brake boot, not the door cardsor seat covers... it is impossible. All you can do is looking for original parts.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
Jump to:
Page 27 of 30

Jump to: