Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine advice?
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richardfry19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Engine advice? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I recently traded a bike for this 411 and a spare motor. The P.o. couldn't get it to turn over. However, The motor in fact spins freely until a certain point, then it wont budge anymore. I don't have a bore scope so I can't look in the cylinders. I'm almost afraid to....

I realize dropping the motor is inevitable, but what would y'all do? Swap heads, cylinders, and pistons with the spare motor? Or swap motors entirely?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice? Reply with quote

There's really no way to know without pulling it out, and at least pulling the heads off, to see if it's a broken valve, or something inside the case.

What shape is the body in at the usual rust points? Carb or FI? Photos will help!
richardfry19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
There's really no way to know without pulling it out, and at least pulling the heads off, to see if it's a broken valve, or something inside the case.

What shape is the body in at the usual rust points? Carb or FI? Photos will help!

There isn't actually much rust, where there is bondo is it for the most part.

It is fuel injected which is.......fun.

Lars S
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine advice? Reply with quote

Welcome to the group!

I would carefully examine both engines before I decide what to do.

/Lars S
Suzuki T500, -69, Candy Gold, sold Sad
Suzuki K50, -77, Black, daily driver
BMW R69S -69, White, sold Sad
Husqvarna 118cc, -47, Black, Sold Sad
Hawker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Engine advice? Reply with quote

Welcome to the group.

I have the same model in the same colour. You can restore this car into a real head turner, if you wish.

You will find all the right information here!

BR,

Rob
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Engine advice? Reply with quote

That looks like mt very first car! I had a 1972 411 four door in Alaska blue metallic. Looked just like that.

One thing to check. On the left side of the bell housing when looking into the engine compartment.... just to the left of the case centerline and behind the fuel injection runner....there is a black plastic cap. It may be missing at this stage in teh game.

If the cap is there...pop it off. This is an access port to the three 13mm bolts that hold the flex plate (the automatic equivalent to the flywheel)...to the torque converter.

Its kind of hard to see, but look through that hole with a flashlight...might need a mirror....rotate the engine until you see each of teh three bolt heads. Its not unknown that one or more bolts back out...which causes the bolt head to strike the back of the engine case in one or more spots...preventing rotation.

An easier way to inspect each bolt is to take a long socket extension with a long 13mm socket and pass this under the fuel injection runners just forward of the distributor. Stick it in the hole until it stops. Turn the engine slowly by hand until the next bolt bangs up against the socket and stops rotation. Pull the socket back and then rotate a few degrees more until the bolt head is centered in the access port.

Now you can get the socket on it and check each bolt for tightness.

On some transmissions you can also lay under the car and rotate the torque converter with a prybar on the cooling fins through the windows in the bell housing. You can also get to the bolts with a thin wrench down there.

Next....pull off both valve covers. See if any rockers are flopping loose....or if any valves do not move. Also look for any pushrods that may have popped out of their cup in the rocker arm.

Welcome!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richardfry19
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine advice? Reply with quote

I've actually been lurking on the samba for a while. I'll have a look at the flex plate bolts and hopefully that's my issue. I'll check in when I've had a chance tho look it over.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: