Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gas tank filler release knob
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:58 pm    Post subject: Gas tank filler release knob Reply with quote

On my 1971 411, the release knob is "sprung", It hangs down rather than retracts and now the catch for the filler door does not spring back unless the release is pulled at the same time the door is closed. I can not find any information on how to correct this or access it in my books.
Thanks
Deanah
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler release knob Reply with quote

Deanaha wrote:
On my 1971 411, the release knob is "sprung", It hangs down rather than retracts and now the catch for the filler door does not spring back unless the release is pulled at the same time the door is closed. I can not find any information on how to correct this or access it in my books.
Thanks
Deanah

Read this. Its long...but lays out the whole thing.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=656055&highlight

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler release knob Reply with quote

Ray,
Thank you . I guess I had put in search works that did not work. A lot of information but very helpful
Deanah
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler release knob Reply with quote

Deanaha wrote:
Ray,
Thank you . I guess I had put in search works that did not work. A lot of information but very helpful
Deanah

To start out....see what you have. Remove the two small bolts by the gas flap...turn the lever and let the lever box drop down so you can look at it. About half....are missing the little rectangular lid.

If it still has the lid and is not frozen up.....and the cable is not broken.....you have plenty to work with and can get away without a full restoration/rebuild. You could get away with removing the cable assembly......cleaning out the grease in the box to get rid of the crusty original lube and stop potential rust.....then lube the cable, add grease and stake and seal the box lid.....and you should be good to go.

Post pics of what you have and I can outline what you need to do here in your thread.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler release knob Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler release knob Reply with quote

OK...the knob is actually close to normal. What you will probably find when you look under the fender or undo the two phillip screws and remove the latch from the fender...is that little square cover for the latch box is missing or partially loose and crooked.

And...its a little gummed up too I would bet. Take a look and show us what you find. Ray
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler release knob Reply with quote

Ray,
Sorry, this is so long in addressing- the pandemic has not been kind. I finally am dealing with the gas flap and have printed up your instructions ( thank you)
But when I took out the screws, the latch fell behind the fender, how do I get to it when the cable is still attached? And to follow with that, how do I get the knob that releases ( inside the car) undone so I can get the cable out? if you look at the earlier pics- you see I have the original black knob- it doesn't seem to unscrew.
An aside: are you going to the VW show in Mustang on May 1st- would love to meet you. I am trailering the 411 up there
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler release knob Reply with quote

Deanaha wrote:
Ray,
Sorry, this is so long in addressing- the pandemic has not been kind. I finally am dealing with the gas flap and have printed up your instructions ( thank you)
But when I took out the screws, the latch fell behind the fender, how do I get to it when the cable is still attached? And to follow with that, how do I get the knob that releases ( inside the car) undone so I can get the cable out? if you look at the earlier pics- you see I have the original black knob- it doesn't seem to unscrew.
An aside: are you going to the VW show in Mustang on May 1st- would love to meet you. I am trailering the 411 up there

I hope to be there!

When you take the two screws loose that hold the latch to the fender....it comes loose and swings down underneath the fender. You can look under the passenger side fender and up and to the left and you will see the cable and latch box assembly hanging loose. like this. This is with the outer fender removed

Those two screws sticking out are inside of the trunk

Inside the trunk there are those two screwed that hold the cable bracket to the body inside the trunk. Those need to come loose.

The last part....is that where the cable and know come out inside the car, they go through a grommet that is crimped on the carpet.

In this picture the steel grommet around my cable has been removed because it was rusted.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1509134

To get the cable assembly out ...you first need to unscrew the knob...and it does unscrew. You need to hold the spring assembly that is screwing into the knob ...with a pair of pliers so it does not spin while you turn the knob counterclockwise.

Understand that what the knob is screwing into is a segment of spring which is teh outer sheath for teh cable. That section of spring is only about 3" long...and its not attached to the main cable sheath. So when you try to turn the knob it just spins. So you need to grip the spring.

Once you get the knob off...you need to carefully peel back the carpet...its a pain. You will see that cable outer sheath is clamped onto a metal spar with crimp clap. You need to cut or bend that crimp clamp to take it loose. Once that is done teh entire cable assembly pulls out through the trunk...and then pulls through into the fender well.

My carpet is totally shot and pretty much dry rotted so I had to tear it away to access the cable sheath clamp

That little arm the cable is clamped to is spot welded to the metal plate behind the carpet. That plate comes out with about four screws once the carpet is removed.

All of this is from my "how to" link from my earlier posts. Ray
Deanaha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gas tank filler release knob Reply with quote

Thank you- I will try this weekend if the weather will cooperate
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: