Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original Radio Questions
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlaskaWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:13 pm    Post subject: Original Radio Questions Reply with quote

My wife's jaw dropped about two feet when I told her I found one of the original Blau radios for our bus. Not cause of the find, but rather cause I wanted to put it in the bus. She thought I wanted some $700 fancy job that will just get stolen in a week. Heck, the bus looks so good now, why not bring her back to a more original state.

Long story short, I found an old Blau AM radio out of a junk yard '74. I was just going to put it in the dash to look good, but heck, why not have her work too! There was a stereo on her originally, now there is some cheap arse thing there that is not even hooked up.

Can anyone tell me which fuse the original factory option radio went too? Plus, what about speakers. Stock in the doors? Were there two? and what is up with the strange connectors off the stereo that I assume are speaker wires. Anyone using their original radio?

Thanks
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the speaker was under the center of the dash.
AlaskaWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, single speaker under dash means I do not have to cut my new door panels. Heck it is AM anyway!
A.J. Adams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the good stuff is on AM anyway. Rush, Sean Hannity, G.Gordon Liddy, Micheal Savage,.....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
ratwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check for 1/2 of a white bussman fuse holder that is already wired into the fusebox.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bookwus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya Paul,

I'm an original radio kinda guy.

Although many of the wiring diagrams for 70's models VWs do show a specific fuse for a radio option, most of the radios I have seen come with an in-line fuse holder. I have simply used that in-line holder as the fuse-element in hooking up an older radio. Works great! Granted, practically all the radios I have worked with have been Sapphires (by Motorola or Bendix) but I did do one early seventies Blaupunkt (am only) with an in-line fuse holder also.

Remember this when you do get it hooked up......a lot has changed in the past thirty years insofar as radio technology goes. Reception will not be as good as most models on the market today. However, if you take care with the antenna (very important to the older radios) and be sure that all components in your radio are in good shape (I know an excellent repair service - just in case) you will enjoy your older radio.

Mike

1970 Bus - The Ruptured Duck
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: