Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transaxle gear oil chip detector
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

om;

As I noted above, mag chip detectors are not linear...they are strictly a continuity device...it, and consequently, you seeing the Chip Det Warning Light can't tell the diff between a string of the tiniest metal filings, or a bunch of teeth having come off a gear (that's why the spacing between the contacts is something that needs careful consideration)...it just gives you a heads-up to let you know to check it at the next opportunity...I do like the idea of the ability to check it without fluidloss...

Cheers
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

Ronzo_volvo_guy wrote:
om;

As I noted above, mag chip detectors are not linear...they are strictly a continuity device...it, and consequently, you seeing the Chip Det Warning Light can't tell the diff between a string of the tiniest metal filings, or a bunch of teeth having come off a gear (that's why the spacing between the contacts is something that needs careful consideration)...it just gives you a heads-up to let you know to check it at the next opportunity...I do like the idea of the ability to check it without fluidloss...

Cheers

Interesting. The ones I use seem to have the ability to differentiate between 2 sizes (big and small) and keep a running count of each detection. I have no idea how they work, it's all just magic to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ronzo_volvo_guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

om;

"The ones I use seem to have the ability to differentiate between 2 sizes (big and small)"...are you able to show these side by side to allow a comparison (particularly of the gap)...I expect there could be something to be learned, which Sodo could work into his "budget version" design.

As far as being able to "keep a running count of each detection."...that would probably require some sort of continuous clearing (once the contacts are bridged and the detector goes to continuity, I don't see how it could clear itself without some sort of deliberate interaction), and support electronics, to count and have it be able to be read back later, or an event counter which displays it continuously. A quick search found this page with several modestly priced options for the later: https://www.electronicsurplus.com/process-control/timers-counters

Cheers
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Porsche-...ardian.htm
mrshrimp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

This makes me want to be retired! Great work.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
... a magnetic plug that also has a check valve ... so you can inspect it any time without making a mess...

I want this! Did I miss the link...???

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

You miss understood. I was talking about technology on an aircraft I am familiar with. Not something available for the vanagon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
dhaavers wrote:

- Dave

You miss understood. I was talking about technology on an aircraft I am familiar with. Not something available for the vanagon.

Still... Got a link for the aircraft one?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

eBay search: "chip detector"

Google search: Oil chip detector

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

Still... Got a link for the aircraft one?

There term you're looking for is 'self closing valve'.

http://allenaircraft.com/products/engine-products/#Selfclosingvalves
https://www.aeroexpo.online/prod/allen-aircraft-products-inc/product-186639-46281.html

It would be interesting is someone could adapt one to the vanagon transmission. Although, if it's an aircraft part the entry cost is probably more than the transmission. Maybe they have a used one sitting on a self at work.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

It’s feasible to add this feature at a second hole. Not feasible at bellhousing drain if you have an exhaust crossover nearby.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Transaxle gear oil chip detector Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
It’s feasible to add this feature at a second hole. Not feasible at bellhousing drain if you have an exhaust crossover nearby.

The diesel proves to be superior once again. Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: