Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OK so I screwed up!!!
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: OK so I screwed up!!! Reply with quote

Well, it's not the first and it won't be the last.

I have been trying to repair the wheel area where the fender attaches. Naturally it was completely rusted out so I bought a strip and patch welded it in.

I got it too "proud", and now it bulges out and screws up all the alignment for the fender. In the first picture, I kind of "superimposed" the two sides together, looking towards the rear of the car. The red line shows the nice border I was trying to get. See where the right (passengers) side now bulges out? Yeah I messed it up I know. Not a nice look like the left (driver) side looks... Shocked
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So, what do you think? How can I go about this? A cut and then hammer the top side down into alignment? I actually thought I could "pull out" the bottom half with a dent puller, but that was a fail.
Help please.
Newbie wants to learn.
(expensive lesson huh?) I'm sure it won't be the first one either.....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: OK so I screwed up!!! Reply with quote

Is that death foam starting to erupt near the top of the fender area? If so you have other problems to deal with. I don't think you can hammer that in, even if you had an assistant with a dolly on the inside. I don't think you can get a hand and a dolly in there. Cutting it and re-doing it might be your only option. But I am a novice, somebody else with more experience can chime in.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: OK so I screwed up!!! Reply with quote

Has the portion that the fender directly mounts to been changed?
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OK so I screwed up!!! Reply with quote

infiniteLoop wrote:
Has the portion that the fender directly mounts to been changed?

Uh... yeah! I replaced it. It was rusted out... Hence the problem......
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: OK so I screwed up!!! Reply with quote

Would this help?
https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-p...05252r.php

The contour of the full rear panel stays the same until it hits the part that I posted the webpage for. Then, it is bent down. The farther it is from the rear panel, the more it has to be (edit) stretched to be bent down.

If you put the cut in where you indicate, it will not shrink the metal down but only move it down so it will not add crown. The cut will not allow the metal to be 'trapped'.

The easiest way to fix that ,if you cant find a patch panel that covers the entire area ,is to put the patch panel in like from the webpage and then make your own additional piece with a sand bag and a plastic mallet like from harbor freight. Make a pattern, and then slowly add crown with a mallet backed by a sand bag. You can make a cheap sand bag by using a old purse or something.
Chinaclipper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OK so I screwed up!!! Reply with quote

infiniteLoop wrote:
Would this help?
https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-p...05252r.php

Yup, that's the piece I replaced. It looked a lot easier on YouTube Wink

infiniteLoop wrote:

The easiest way to fix that ,if you cant find a patch panel that covers the entire area ,is to put the patch panel in like from the webpage and then make your own additional piece with a sand bag and a plastic mallet like from harbor freight. Make a pattern, and then slowly add crown with a mallet backed by a sand bag. You can make a cheap sand bag by using a old purse or something.

Copy that. Lots of good ideas! Thanks
CC
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: OK so I screwed up!!! Reply with quote

Warning! I'm a total novice with some bodywork.

I had an area where I had a similar problem. In my learning curve I tried all sorts of things.
Finally I just heated one spot with a MAPP torch then rapidly cooled it with a wet rag. It popped in. Maybe try that in a small area. Not sure if it will just move it to another area.

Now experienced bodyworkers may chime in and tell you it won't work for you, but if you try it you'll at least know if you can do it next time. Maybe try on some scrap steel.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: OK so I screwed up!!! Reply with quote

From the images provided, it looks like you may have installed a new mounting piece and used a non crowned piece above it. But,,, if a piece with no crown was put in ,it would be lower and not higher than the original contour. This makes me think that the mounting piece was not the correct contour or it was not put in correctly. It must protrude too much so when the non crowned patch piece was butted up with it , the panel contour was pushed out away from the car.

if you replace the mount piece again, make sure it's where it needs to be by making sure the fender mates with it correctly. Then the patch piece that goes in between has to mate up with both pieces and also have crown. The patch piece has to be a continuation of the full quarter panels contour.
Dan the workingstiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: OK so I screwed up!!! Reply with quote

This my go against everything here, What about modifying the fender?
'76 IH 1200
'75 IH 1200
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: