Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Quick fix ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:49 am    Post subject: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Has anyone had this same problem?
It was only happens on windy days !
This is the he quick fix !
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Should we assume your complaint is about the noise this seal creates?
Had the same issue when I replaced mine with the standard aftermarket (Busdepot), seal.

Decided to put the other style that has the bulb on the bottom. That bulb closes up the gap and stops air/noise. You have to cut little v notches in the corners to let any water drain from underneath. Others will tell you not to use this one due to trapping moisture, but its nice and quiet, and If I need to, I will just pull the rack every 4-5 years to check and clean area.

Cant see the notch in the corner, but theyre there. Dont remember where I got this one.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Interesting,
That seal was changed 1 yr ago that's why the change in noise .
So I'm in the process of painting to top .
I was thinking fiber glassing a stainless steal rod , giving it more strength.
The same thing granite counter top guys do.
around to sink area to give it more strength.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Fixing that driver side windshield wiper is definitely a quick fix. The top is going to take a little more time. If you’re painting it you might want to look at gel coat. Should we assume you’re removing the top in order to paint it? If so, make sure you inspect all the hardware upon re-installation that might be part of the problem. I’m with the post above, you should get the seal with the bulb on the bottom, that seal does not look correct.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

You should consider pulling the rack off. Its not hard at all. Dont need to remove headliner, just pull it down enough in the back to get a wrench on the four nuts that hold the rear edge of the rack on. While its off, you can clean the tin-top, get all the leaves and shit out of there that will cause it to rot, and rattlecan fresh paint on there.

The red circle is a nice little tip that someone else posted. Epoxy thise little garden hose screens over those drain holes. Keeps the hornets, wasps, bees, etc from nesting up under the rack.

Also, spend the few bucks and change the cleats to stainless ones with stainless or aluminum rivets. Couple cans of rustoleum gloss white enamel and this rustoleum school bus yellow is a close match. Just ordered 12 cans for $6/ ea, so its still available out there.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Jetxv69 https
I like the fix for the rain holes ,
I can do that
Your bus is looking nice and clean nice match on the paint
We can’t get Rust-Olium here it’s called Tremclad
From home Depo
I plan to take it off and paint !
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Quick fix? Foam weather striping squeezed into the space.

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Check the front hinge screws to see if they are loose and that the wood mounting area isn't rotted.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Front hinge screws?

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
Front hinge screws?

Open the top and look at where the hinges mount on the pop top in front (stand outside and look at the inside front of pop top) and they screw in from the side.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

If bees Nest up there just leave them alone. Hornets won’t nest up there.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Starbucket wrote:
pioneer1 wrote:
Front hinge screws?

Open the top and look at where the hinges mount on the pop top in front (stand outside and look at the inside front of pop top) and they screw in from the side.

It's a late style top, it hinges at the back, the component in question (luggage rack) is bolted to the roof permanently.

As others have mentioned remove the rack for a look underneath, when you put it back on you can adjust it up or down to alter the gap (like those sticks you've stuck in there). Or get the trim with the bulb, but count on regular maintenance to look for trapped moisture and rust.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Starbucket wrote:
pioneer1 wrote:
Front hinge screws?

It's a late style top, it hinges at the back, the component in question (luggage rack) is bolted to the roof permanently.

As others have mentioned remove the rack for a look underneath, when you put it back on you can adjust it up or down to alter the gap (like those sticks you've stuck in there). Or get the trim with the bulb, but count on regular maintenance to look for trapped moisture and rust.

The original post shows the front of the bus not the carrier, when did it switch?
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Starbucket...1973

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Couple cans of rustoleum gloss white enamel and this rustoleum school bus yellow is a close match. Just ordered 12 cans for $6/ ea, so its still available out there.

Thanks for the tip, Jet!
I've been searching without luck for something close to Chrome Yellow.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
Jetfxr69 wrote:
Couple cans of rustoleum gloss white enamel and this rustoleum school bus yellow is a close match. Just ordered 12 cans for $6/ ea, so its still available out there.

Thanks for the tip, Jet!
I've been searching without luck for something close to Chrome Yellow.

Had trouble finding any. Its been out there a few years and as im sure you know, all the paint companies continually change the colors and codes. I ordered mine through my local Fastenal. They contacted there distributor and confirmed they could get some in. Taking a couple weeks, but at least its coming, and at a resonable price.

Rustoleum item number is

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
Had trouble finding any. Its been out there a few years and as im sure you know, all the paint companies continually change the colors and codes. I ordered mine through my local Fastenal. They contacted there distributor and confirmed they could get some in. Taking a couple weeks, but at least its coming, and at a resonable price.

Rustoleum item number is

I was able to find it on eBay, but it was closer to $60 for six cans.
But that's okay. At least it will do the job well.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

You silly fools. The rust will still be there , eating away at your Van like a cancerous sore....
55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Jetfx69 that work out good,
lots of debris does get in the weepers.

55 ragger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick fix ? Reply with quote

Add some re-enforcing to stop the vibration,
Had my buddy Jack paint it up for me,
It turned out great
Over all I'm happy with it.
thanks to the Samba !!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: