Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

A friend has acquired an old vw powered Atlas forklift.

It runs and works, but has not really been serviced.

The mechanical's are made in Germany with tags that I hope to translate.

Looking for any service information on these units, specifically what type of fluid is used for the hydraulic system.

Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

I have attached some pictures of the engine and transmission tags for this forklift with the name ATLAS on the rear.

Hopefully it will be functional again tomorrow.

This has been a fun project and have learned quite a lot about forklfts in the process.

Once it moves out into the sunlight again I will get some better pics of it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

Sounds cool, are you going to post some photos of the forklift too?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

Try and call a fork lift parts supplier or repair facility and ask them for information.

"This is Steve, how can I help you?"

"I have a 1962-ish VW powered Atlas forkilft and am looking to get some parts information."

"(silence)"

The filter for the hydraulic transmission is Bosch. Searching the part number gives me mosly Eastern European websites.

However it does move under its own power and the lift functions too. Transmission was leaking fluid from filter flange. Took about 4 gallons of fluid. (AW32)

It does struggle at higher RPM's. Fuel and intake are ok. Points look to be very worn. Did not have any way to measure dwell or gap today. Tomorrow we will check compression and ignition system.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

That exhaust looks terrible.

It will get fixed.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

Very cool, thanks for the pics
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

distributor on the industrial engine on the forklift. It runs, but the whole ignition system looks pretty old.

any info on points and condenser for this model would be appreciated. Currently running 12v system. Will check coil tomorrow.

All cylinders read almost 100 psi except #2. It was about 30 psi.

Might check the valves if I can get the covers off. I looks kinda tight.

The only real issue is that it bogs down when using the 'tilt' function. Up/Down of forks is ok and so is the forward/reverse on the transmission.

I would really like to take this to the next level and start fixing everything. However parts availability and any type of service information is non-existent.

Just make it work for the customer's needs.
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2021 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

appears it has a 36hp? can't tell from the back .or 61-62 stale air 40hp?
the 36hp has the generator
stand cast into the case.the 40hp is removable.
anyway the distributor is early bus. 36hp. points.111-998-051
condensor 111-905-295 cap 111-905-207c rotor 111-905-225c .
same parts as the famous 019. you can find them at Wolfsburg west
cool forklift. Wink
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on ignition parts.

It is a 40hp engine.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

Super cool.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:

It is a 40hp engine.

Hey, buddy!

Do you have all the parts you need?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
obieoberstar wrote:

It is a 40hp engine.

Hey, buddy!

Hello Ray!
I have not gotten into the ignition system yet. But may have to. The thing was running great and then the next week it would struggle to run.

Put it on the back burner until this weekend.

The engine is the easy maintenance item. Try finding parts for a Guldner Hydrostatic transmission or the (most likely German) hydraulic pump.

Will update with some new pics soon.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
nemobuscaptain wrote:
obieoberstar wrote:

It is a 40hp engine.

Hey, buddy!

Hello Ray!
I have not gotten into the ignition system yet. But may have to. The thing was running great and then the next week it would struggle to run.

Put it on the back burner until this weekend.

The engine is the easy maintenance item. Try finding parts for a Guldner Hydrostatic transmission or the (most likely German) hydraulic pump.

Will update with some new pics soon.

Let me ask a few people. I know a guy who does work on forklifts surpringly frequently and you know the people here loved German equipment.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

It turned out the carb was just plain full of crud. The fresh gas broke loose some of it and most likely gummed it up.

Ran it through the ultrasonic cleaner and then into the gallon pail of (the newly formulated) Gunk Parts cleaner.

Fires right up hot or cold.

Next is some new tires and try and tighten up the drag link.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Atlas Forklift w/ VW aircooled engine Reply with quote

carb got clogged up again. Cleaned it again and it runs so nice.

Looking to drain out the tank completely and start fresh.

Thankfully, I bought a 5 gallon bucket of hydraulic fluid for the transmission. The forklift has been sitting in one place for about a month and there is a a decent size puddle of my freshly bought hydraulic fluid running out of it.

This thing needs some love.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: