Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition switch parts
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

Today I noticed that while the ignition is off the passenger side headlights do not work. All three do not light- the low and high beam and the city lights. When truck is running they work as they should.

From reading here it seems the issue is the ignition switch. While ordering parts I see there is a connector and a "ignition switch- electrical portion" at VanCafe. Are these the only 2 parts I need to replace?
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

jAndrew wrote:
"ignition switch- electrical portion" at VanCafe. Are these the only 2 parts I need to replace?

That's one part. Yes, that would be the one you need. What is the second part?

Also, order two. They are prone to failure, cheap and easy to replace. So put a new one in, and keep the other one as a spare.

(Just to make sure, can you post the link of the product you're thinking about? To remove any potential confusion)
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
jAndrew wrote:
"ignition switch- electrical portion" at VanCafe. Are these the only 2 parts I need to replace?

That's one part. Yes, that would be the one you need. What is the second part?

Also, order two. They are prone to failure, cheap and easy to replace. So put a new one in, and keep the other one as a spare.

(Just to make sure, can you post the link of the product you're thinking about? To remove any potential confusion)

Doh! Second part listed- https://www.vancafe.com/111953631-p/111953631.htm
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

The second part, the plug housing, isn't necessary unless it's broken. My experience is limited to a few switch replacements and the plug has never been broken.

There's a link in this thread for good switch replacement instructions.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=375383

p.s. Do you haul the Sprite and Smart Car in the trunk of the Eldorado? Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

The reason that the ignition switch connector housing needs to be replaced sometimes is that it can melt from the electrical load, usually on the X contact. The terminal X powers loads that are turned off during cranking to save current for starting. The X contact powers the blowers, headlights and probably the rear defrost. The headlights are not powered normally unless the ignition is on. They cut out during cranking. Of course many headlight power systems are no longer stock. But most of the systems (Jay Brown) style still shut off unless the X contact is hot.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

^^^ Of course, melting is the problem, not breaking. Good point.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

p.s. Do you haul the Sprite and Smart Car in the trunk of the Eldorado? Very Happy

Usually just the dead bodies of smart ass ppl. Very Happy
jAndrew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I ordered both, cheap enough compared to most things.
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch parts Reply with quote

Not only melting, but 10" high flames too. Had the steering column cover off and melting plastic insulllation was dripping on my legs. Luckily heavy duty corduroy. It was the 30 lead and couldn't be shut off. I don't recommend it. Good thing it wasn't summer and shorts.

Relay EVERYTHING. Keep switch loads as low as possible and neither they not the plugs will fail. I have both my 30 and X loads relayed so the ignition only sees coil loads.

Don't know about Dokas, but Vanagons don't have working headlights with the ignition switch off.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: