Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swap to water-cooled?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap to water-cooled? Reply with quote

This is the engine end of my Trail Rail. Ford V6 Cologne with a mild cam, 3 inch riser under the Holley 4412 500cfm carb, headers, seriously mean and reliable ignition, 100 amp alternator, polished and matched ports. I got the complete engine and Kennedy adapter cheap..$400. The previous owner said he had mechanical problems with it. It was all minor stuff and easily repaired. It has enough grunt power to pull me up and down trails all day long at low rpms or fly me down the interstate at 100+ mph with no complaints.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobby1978
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap to water-cooled? Reply with quote

77charger wrote:
Scott SD wrote:
Ecotecs have a huge following in the desert. Cheap, dependable, and fairly light. While I am not a GM guy, it does look like a good package.

I was going to go the ecotec route too but was going to be within 1/4 inche clearance if all went perfect with my measurements.Then o was going to have to get full asking price for my 2275 i was selling at the time which was going to be hard to do then.

But like said came across honda 3.5 deal for half price of ecotec route but both these engines are easy to get although i think the hondas are a lil more common and cheaper.Friend had issues with his found a complete replacement for 400 bucks.

Heres what the 3.5 looks like in it and old pic of vw

Where did you get the harness?
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap to water-cooled? Reply with quote

Gentlemen, you have given me lots to think about. Not sure I have the time to do a swap this year, but retirement is coming in a year or two, maybe. Definitely have the time then.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap to water-cooled? Reply with quote

Gentlemen, you have given me lots to think about. Not sure I have the time to do a swap this year, but retirement is coming in a year or two, maybe. Definitely have the time then.
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info.
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
matthewl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap to water-cooled? Reply with quote

If you are going to pay a shop to do the work, it might be cheaper to buy a buggy that is already swapped. Shops charge $100 an hour and motor swaps always add complications. Complications = time and time is money. Most guys that have done engine swaps do it their self, so a cost is hard to pin down.
A better way to get your answer is ask how much time they have into there water-cooled swap then multiple $100 per hour add cost of parts then add 10% and that may get you close.
I'm doing my 4.3 v6 swap my self ( not done yet) and here's my list.

4.3l v6 FREE
Fuel cell FREE
Adapter plate $550
Full auto bus trans $500 if I remember right
Fuel pump and hoses and such approx $130
Exhaust parts v band, tubing , catalyitc converter( cheap one)$115
Tubing and such for motor mounts $50
New cheap axles for trans swap $120

Time
Install adapter to motor 1 hour
Install motor 1 hour
Brace rear frame and make motor mounts for heavy ASS motor 10 hours
Extend rear cage and make radiator mount 6hours
Building new exhaust ( was able to use most of the stock stuff) 1.5 hours
Routing and installing fuel lines 3 hours.

So close to 20 hours and it is not done yet.

Still need to plum the rad, trim down the ECU wire loom and some other odds and ends.
All these times don't include the time of sitting on my duff thinking of where something should go or will this work.

So if you pay a shop make sure they have done it before and use a motor that has been done a tons of time.
Or like I say buy one that is done and drive that. If you buggy has sentimental value to you, you can use the swapped one as a parts car later when you retire in a year or so as you said.
Just my two cents
Hope you find the answers your looking for.

manxvair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Swap to water-cooled? Reply with quote

Axitech wrote:
Considering swap to water-cooled power. Not enough time to do it myself, and i finally have reached the point of having a little fun money. How much would you expect to pay someone, a shop to install a fuel injected, four cylinder engine, complete job, parts, labor, all in?

What type of vehicle are you looking to make this swap in? Baja, Rail?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Swap to water-cooled? Reply with quote

Axitech has a Pennsylvania street registered VW powered rail buggy with fenders and a windshield. Look up his threads.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: