Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do?
To do
55%
 55%  [ 37 ]
Not to do
44%
 44%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 67

mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

I finally put together a YT video from the work and my experience when cutting the access hole for my fuel sender. Thought I would post it here for reference, and if anyone has questions. Give it a like if you like the content, and and consider subscribing for more - I do these videos occasionally because they are fun to show the work and nice for reference after, hope you all enjoy!

Link

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Kiwi1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Well , my fuel gauge on my 69 stopped working again and after a couple of tests it looked like my sender had packed up again.It had lasted only about a year. After pulling out the motor/tank to pop another new vdo sender for only have it last for about 3 months before it died. Out again came the motor and tank, but this time I got a genuine old one one out of a 68 bay that was being wrecked at my local Vw parts yard.I rebuilt it carefully using the right nichrome wire from my local shop and its been great for a year till it stopped working last week. Gutted I had a decision to make, drop the motor/ tank again or cut a hole in the top.After much consideration I cut a hole in the top. I put my meter over the sender and to my surprise it tested ok. Shit I just cut this hole and the bloody sender is fine. I tested further and it turned out it had lost its earth. What had happend is the sender gasket had compressed and the five bolts holding the sender in were loose as, loose enough that the earth under one of these bolts was not tight enough for a good connection. I tightened the bolts and fuel gauge is all good again.Glad I have cut this hole now as its another check I will do when checking fuel lines etc to make sure there are no leaks when tank is fill
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

given the quality we have to pick from today there is no way i would be pulling the whole deal apart to address this.

doing a CLEAN cut for an access is the only way to go. it takes the all day ordeal and knocks it down to 4 minutes. total no brainer in my opinion

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Cuccuzze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Did you ever do this in your 71? I just scoped by fuel tank today, and ready to try this... I saw the same post you did, but have not seen anyone with measurements for the 71.

SGKent wrote:
Hua Hin wrote:
I cannot seem to find the exact location to cut and access hole for my sending unit on a 1971 bus? There was one remark stating that the measurements given by "someone" was incorrect for his '71 finding out "after" he cut the hole. Does anyone know where to cut the access hole on a '71 bus? Thanks for any information.

consider

Tcash wrote:
Early

Late
Thanks to Speedy Jim's

[/quote]
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

The Bentley version doesn’t seem to unambiguously define the location of the hole. The locate a point in two-space but then don’t relate that point to the hole.

That, and the don’t source the elliptical hole saw

Cool
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

The hole needs to be large enough so that one's big clumsy hand can fit through the hole while holding on to the sender, and on later models it is easier to make and attach a cover if you stay aft of the bend in the rear deck a bit. Since you are using a bar to pry on the lock ring you don't need the hole to be centered directly over the sender
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Start by carefully drilling a hole where you think the sender is located. Look through the hole and adjust your door final location based on what you see. First though, find someone cutting up a bus and have them send you some donor metal to make your cover from
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Skip to about 10 minutes in my video (posted above) and you can see where my access hole lined up to the tank and sender.

Keep in mind, I have a 1972, with an FI tank, which has a sender that is offset to the passengers side.

I cut my access hole right down the center ribs.

Worked perfectly for me. I did install the CNC access hatch, nice fit and finish.

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
Cuccuzze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Sorry for the delayed reply, we just got hit with that tornado.. Im fine, the bus is fine. The roof on the other hand...

HUA Hin never replied back, he had the 71. So I will do as you suggested. Use page 90.4 to drill a pilot hole and then use the borescope to ensure Im in the right place. Then... cut.

1. I guess a carbide tipped hole saw is in order? about 4"? (I have a girl hand! and not a manly mit!) Laughing then just use a marine bilge cover...
2.I found a replacement sending unit made at same plant the VDOs were, (in Brazil) but appears no one had a VDO.
3. Will use Telfords tutorial on fixing my original unit as a back up.
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

I just used an average multi-purpose 4" hole saw from the local hardware store.

Sorry about your roof - glad you are OK otherwise (I assume.)
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

I did that once

Using donor metal though is better. Fits like a glove. Next time I'll probably just use sealant and not screw it down.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cuccuzze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

What year bus did you that on? Did the measurements fall inline with page 90.4?

aeromech wrote:
I did that once

Using donor metal though is better. Fits like a glove. Next time I'll probably just use sealant and not screw it down.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

My technique for the later buses is to use a 3/4" or 1" hole saw and drill a hole in each corner of a 4"+/- square. I then use a reciprocating saw to cut the edges of the hole.

To drill a 4" hole takes a pretty big drill motor and you can expect to have it ripped out of your hands if the bit hangs up.

Last edited by Wildthings on Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

I can’t swear by the measurements but it was offset about an inch to the right of centerline and almost as far forward as you can go. This was a 1972
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Cuccuzze wrote:
Sorry for the delayed reply, we just got hit with that tornado.. Im fine, the bus is fine. The roof on the other hand...

HUA Hin never replied back, he had the 71. So I will do as you suggested. Use page 90.4 to drill a pilot hole and then use the borescope to ensure Im in the right place. Then... cut.

1. I guess a carbide tipped hole saw is in order? about 4"? (I have a girl hand! and not a manly mit!) Laughing then just use a marine bilge cover...
2.I found a replacement sending unit made at same plant the VDOs were, (in Brazil) but appears no one had a VDO.
3. Will use Telfords tutorial on fixing my original unit as a back up.

C....I would define the corners of your hole, or the edge if you are using the marine deck plate, and drill a 1 inch hole into a flat area. Much easier to manage than a 4 inch hole saw in steel. Then cut the edge with a jig saw and metal blade. Watch the stroke depth and block it up a bit if needed.

...you’ve come a long way, baby... ( my youngest of 6 ladies)

Ghunt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Anyone have hole locating dimensions for a 1969 bus? Thank you.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

1969 should be the same as 1971

I can’t fault the access hole the guy did here but it’s way overboard in my opinion.

1) find someone cutting up a bus and buy some metal
2) using the info here mark the center of where you think the sender is located
3) drill a hole big enough so you can look with a light at the top of the sender
4) adjust your access door location
5) cut the door. I’ve used a large hole saw
6) cut the scrap metal larger than your cutout
7) lay it over the hole until it fits like a glove
Cool use a pliable sealant like RTV and glue the metal down. It will be removable if needed.

Quick, cheap, and if done well won’t look bad either
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

why not just pull the firewall panel off the next time the engine is out and mark exactly where the sender is. It is just those screws and the two on the under side. Don't even have to pull the tank. On a late bay (1969 is not) should be able to pull the firewall with the engine in.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

...you’ve come a long way, baby... ( my youngest of 6 ladies)

Are you going to find her a VW Transporter T5 or T6 motor-caravan to play with; of which there are many models from many motor-caravan converters to choose from!?! Wink Reviews are to be found in past issues of Motor Caravan Magazine and the Caravan & Motorhome Club magazine.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZ Gruv wrote:
busman78 wrote:
Back in the day if you took your bus to the dealer for a sender replacement you got an access hole cut.

Any idea what they did to seal/cover the hole?

Yes I recall that VW Campaign. VW had you use a shift coupler cover plate from a Bug. I did a couple of them back in the day, I thought they looked hoakie. But the instruction sheet provided gave all the measurements required to cut the hole directly over the sender.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: