Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying and registering a car in Germany
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

As your son will be there on a visa for long stay he will have to have a registration (address). I don't see a problem there.
mobile.de or autoscout24.de is good place to search for a car.
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

0cean wrote:
American standerds are not the same as TUV. I read it wrong anyways. Sounds like hes purchasing in germany. I wouldent buy one because traveling on the autobahn in a vanagon would be to hard and dangrous. Cars passing you going over 100 and a vanagon doing 60-65. To much stress and to much gas money. Get a truck with a poptop tent.

Have you actually lived in Germany?
There are a lot more roads then the Autobahn and what you are saying about driving on the Autobahn is not accurate by a long shot.
The majority of the drivers and I mean the majority are sensible intelligent drivers. Even though the speed limit is as fast as you can go most people drive between 60-80 mph. Very few drive at reckless high speed.
I have driven the Autobahn many times in slow cars, vans and luxury exotic cars. What you are saying is just not the everyday driving on the Autobahn, not even every year.
I find it more dangerous to drive here in America because the rules of the road are loosely enforced. In Germany the drivers obey the basic rules which American drivers ignore.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
Very few drive at reckless high speed.

Except those crazies renting M2s from the BMW factory and a finding Porsche Carrera Turbo on the autobahn to play with. Literally a bucket list item for me. I couldn't have planned it better and it was complete happenstance. A lot of the autobahn is no longer speed unlimited around major metro areas, during high traffic hours speed limits are introduced.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This picture was taken tach'd out at 174mph. The Carrera was still increasing the gap. Shocked
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great input. I'm still tossing around the idea, and weighing all the pros & cons. Regarding the Autobahn, where my son's school is located, the speed limit is heavily regulated there. The only time I saw any crazy speed was when our flight got canceled in Frankfurt. We needed to rent a car & drive down to Munich at midnight to catch a flight. We were passed 2 times (my speed was around 90 mph. The rental car felt weird above that speed). Both cars that passed us had to be in the 160-170 MPH range, and both were big Mercedes family cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
but the inner lanes are dominated by premium cars @150kmph and the wont let you overtake trucks

That was my experience last year around Brno, Czech Republic on the expressways. Mostly Audis, mostly with Austrian plates.
pjn_wyo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

The problems will be finding a car in your price range that passes TUV inspection on anything T2 or T3 aged. T3's are reaching "old timer status" (cheaper taxes, less inspections) and ones that are still road worthy cost quite a bit.

Also be ready to be scared by the cost of insurance and registration.

If I still lived over there I'd find a T4 tdi syncro tin top or camper.
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

A lot of interesting and, bear with me, false information

Trucks in Germany are not allowed to drive faster than 80km/h, police doesn't bother you up to 89 and thus, most are electronically limited to 89.
Some manipulate the tach and go faster but anything over 98 is really rare and you really don't wan't to get fined for that.

The driving on the Autobahn works quite well at whichever speed you like depending on day-time and therefore traffic.
No speed limit is more and more a myth allthough long stretches without speed limit still do exist.
But again, depending on traffic your better off just staying around the 130/150km/h mark.
Keep to the right if you're slow, check your mirrors often before over taking.
Because indeed by the time you decided to change the lane somebody might allready be there because he is doing 250.
Stay on the right, not in the middle lane if there is room to the right, it's the law.
(But I know that 90% don't care)
You may encounter horrible conditions within big cities (Frankfurt from experience, Munich not much better). Too fast, running red lights is almost the norm there.

The good old TÜV....
There is so much to write about, I'll try to keep it short.
Importiong a vehicle is of course possible but registering it in Germany it needs modifications.
Side markers are allowed but they are not allowed to work. Take the bulbs out.
Lights, lenses, indicators, speedo are the main thing.

Every vehicle older then 30years IN PROPER AND ORIGINAL CONDITION can be TÜV'd and if good be eligible for an H (historic) license plate.
I won't go into too much details but rust holes even in side panels are not allowed, a vehicle in mint condition with a shabby paint job might not pass.
Modern radio: no, better brakes yes, period correct tuning is possible. A 2L single carb in a T2 will most likely pass but not with original brakes
Dual 40IDA's will be hard to explain.
I had one tell me to get lost with my Vintage Speed exhaust (allthough officially accepted and in the papers), the other one said what a nice car.
It's a fine line most of the time.

The offical TÜV Oldtimer Anforderungskatalog for details:
https://www.tuvsud.com/de-de/-/media/de/auto-servi...dtimer.pdf

So it also depends on the guy (technician!) who checks your car.
What one accepts might not be accepted by another.
What is ok in one Bundesland might not be in the other. Don't move to Hessia, your screwed there.
Less inspections isn't true, it's still every two years, might even be every year if you have a panel van registered as a truck. I might be wrong on that though.

Once you have that H-plate the taxes which normally apply per year (based on CC's, Euro Norm, petrol or diesel and so forth) are capped at 190 something euros.
So money wise it makes great sense for a Mustang but not so much for a BMW Isetta.
Also you have free access to all! Umweltzonen (polution zones)

Buying a VW in Germany, sure they exist. But getting a TÜV worthy bus.... Not under 8K, more like 10, but better you have 12K or more at hand.
Not saying it is impossible, but you'll need a bit more than just luck to strike a good deal.
And especially since covid prices for newer vans, especially T4's have gone through the roof. But T4's were already overpriced before that.
Which leads to: you really need to know your stuff if you are interested in T4's. A lot of them, often from car dealers are tricked.
Wrong mileage, a shower of paint for the show effect, a bribed TÜV certificat, the list goes on.
Don't let yourself get fooled, theres pricks everywhere and a lot of them to be found in the german used car market.

T2 T3 or T4 really doesn't matter, you need to know your stuff. Lessons you learn the hard way cost a lot over here.
As does gas by the way. Diesel over 1.30 and E95 petrol over 1.50 per litre
Earl Bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

tjet wrote:
My son is attending college in Germany under a student visa. He will be there a few more years. He really wants a VW, ideally an older bus (T2, T3). Right now he relies on public transportation.

I've been thinking about buying one for him. What kind of hurdles might he encounter on purchasing / registering / insuring / etc, a 30+ year old vehicle there? Is the vehicle inspection process difficult?

I will either do a paypal transaction, or transfer the money to him.

Thanks!

Sorry, got a bit lost in text.
If he has a Visa and lives there he has a so called "Meldeadresse" where he lives. With that registering a vehicle to his name shouldn't be a problem.
Insurance shouldn't either but will be expensive. I'm 40y old and my T4 is registered on my mothers name for exactly that reason. You start with around 200% in germany and the rate goes down slowly if you stay away from accidents.
I'm not too well informed on the insurance process,
contact your insurance beforhand to check details. But roughly:
If the vehicle of interest is road legal with plates you take over the insurance for a short period of time. The previous owner will then cancel the insurance shortly afterwards, a few days at most.
So then at the latest you need your own.
The car has TÜV until a certain date, when this date is due you make an appointment and depending on the condition you pass or not.
But the process seems to be a lot more strict then in the states, more things are tested.
If you don't pass you have 2 months to fix and re visit.
If the reason for failing is severe they will tell you to get a trailer.
If in doubt go to a garage before hand and tell them you have the appointment coming up.
If you think it will pass but won't for minor things TÜV will give you a list of things that need to be done in those 2 months to come.
If you don't revisit within 2 months TÜV will contact your insurance and you're not insured anymore;
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
ZsZ wrote:
but the inner lanes are dominated by premium cars @150kmph and the wont let you overtake trucks

That was my experience last year around Brno, Czech Republic on the expressways. Mostly Audis, mostly with Austrian plates.

In the east we have the class war on the highways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0cean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
0cean wrote:
American standerds are not the same as TUV. I read it wrong anyways. Sounds like hes purchasing in germany. I wouldent buy one because traveling on the autobahn in a vanagon would be to hard and dangrous. Cars passing you going over 100 and a vanagon doing 60-65. To much stress and to much gas money. Get a truck with a poptop tent.

Have you actually lived in Germany?
There are a lot more roads then the Autobahn and what you are saying about driving on the Autobahn is not accurate by a long shot.
The majority of the drivers and I mean the majority are sensible intelligent drivers. Even though the speed limit is as fast as you can go most people drive between 60-80 mph. Very few drive at reckless high speed.
I have driven the Autobahn many times in slow cars, vans and luxury exotic cars. What you are saying is just not the everyday driving on the Autobahn, not even every year.
I find it more dangerous to drive here in America because the rules of the road are loosely enforced. In Germany the drivers obey the basic rules which American drivers ignore.

Ive lived in germany for 7 year and ran an emergancy operations center for DOD. The averge autobahn speed is 88 miles an hour and at least 40 percent of drivers are around 100mph. Ive seen and written all kinds of accidents reports and speed on the autobahn is not what you think it is. You need some more experiance in germany bud.

You dont have to travel by autobahn, yet it will take forever to get anywhere having to slow down to 35 mph for every little villiage. If you going to go that route, you might as well take a commuter train. Its cheaper with more intresting people along the way.

Cluster Rebuild:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569920&highlight=

Left for Dead the Resurrection Story Build:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=613669
(Number of Different Donor VW Vans Body Parts Used: 12)
(Number of completely different vehicles parts used: 3)
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

ZsZ wrote:
In the east we have the class war on the highways.

And there I was in a rental Citroen C3 getting passed like a chump at the 130kph Czech speed limit .. when we weren't stuck behind some big truck that could barely to 80kph downhill with a tailwind. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:58 am    Post subject: Re: Buying and registering a car in Germany Reply with quote

Yeah my son has back-burnered the idea of getting a car there. He was supposed to finish next year, but now he wants to stay and get his MBA. I guess my syncro plans can wait a few more years...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: