Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW Trends Customer Support and Feedback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Sure more New Beetle articles Rolling Eyes.

Seriously, the trend is away from print and to online. Look at Hot Rod magazine, they have a huge online presence and content on TV.

Maybe instead of print, subscription to an online site. That way you can publish content as it comes in and not on a quarterly or monthly schedule. You also cut down the cost to publish since there's no printing or mailing expense. That way you can keep the cost for a yearly subscription lower and pass it on to the consumer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

These days, I do think a multi-faceted approach is the key. Print, website, video (YouTube).

I was a magazine guy for a long time years ago. Jeeps, hotrods, etc. But you could get an annual sub for less than $20.

Lately I'm really liking YouTube. The VW Life guys, and others, make some cool episodes of Bus camping trips, and barn find and field find vehicle rescues. Personally I'd much rather see stuff like that.

Good luck with your plans!

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
DanLeadbetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all the well-wishes, and feedback!

Yes, it's our plan to be in print, social media, and online in whatever platforms makes sense, and ones that are wanted and needed. We're all burning the midnight oil, putting the finishing touches on the limited edition Premiere Issue/the first newsstand issue. Once we get that done, we can focus on other things.

Thank you all for your feedback and support! We still have a few of the Platinum and Gold Founder's Packages left, but they are moving pretty fast, so if you're still on the fence about buying one, I wouldn't wait too much longer!

Go to www.vwtrendsmagazine.com and choose a level of involvement, thanks in advance!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanLeadbetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

I created an FAQ to answer some of the questions people have been asking. Hope this clears things up a bit.

https://vwtrendsmagazine.com/blogs/news

Also, if you'd like to contribute, go to www.vwtrendsmagazine.com and choose a level of support you are comfortable with!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Just wondering if you have contributed to the Samba for all the free advertising you're getting from this rolling commercial?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/donate.php

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Just wondering if you have contributed to the Samba for all the free advertising you're getting from this rolling commercial?

Ouch!
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

This is exactly, no make that EXACTLY what I have been thinking. I have even brought it to Everett's attention...........with Dan Ledbetter asking for "contributions" to this "new" old rag. Still seems fishy to me......and always will. And this is no matter what he says will happen in the future.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Yup..
I've been holding back to see who else caught on..

900 x 60=54,000
900 x 200= 180,000

54,000 to 180,000 span is some good $$$ for 900-4500(if subscriptions) magazines and up to 900 t-shirts

I'm sure 900 t-shirts can be had for less than $10K
A quick google search finds you could have 1000 92pg magazines printed up for less than $5K

50,000 magazines for $75K!!! about $1.25ea
50,000 @ $8 would be $400,000 Shocked Now there's a reward for a risk!

a 2min google search finds:
https://www.printingcenterusa.com/printing/cheap-magazine-printing-boost-roi
link has neat calculator, does, pages, paper weights, color, etc..check it out if anyone want to start up a new patina magazine with me Laughing

Even at the highest quality of paper and print, printing cost are not that expensive.

I'm sure there are other start up costs as well as "sweat equity", but that's what risk /reward is all about.

I get that 900 initial copies @$8 value and 900 $20-25 t-shirts ($7200 and $22,500 gross, $30K...)
I'd say $180K for $30K worth of product is an intriguing approach

What I just don't get is why the business owners, the one's who will reap the full reward and profits, are not fully 100% willing and able to fund it out of their own pockets??

It's my opinion that if you believe in your product and believe there is a need for it and expected success of it, that you take that risk on yourself.

But then again, I watch a lot of shark tank and see the entrepreneur's develop their product, show proof of concept, personally fund prototypes, fund their own production and marketing (self and personally loans, etc) well before seeking "hand outs" and additional investors..
Some even borrow from friends and mortgage their homes...

lol.. this whole thing kind of remind me of the "limited edition" $1 gold coins that are avail for $59.99, guaranteed to increase in value Rolling Eyes
DanLeadbetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Hey everyone!

I appreciate and respect your comments. To answer Glenn's question, yes, I had reached out to Everett (on the 12th of March) about buying banner ads on the site. Still waiting on a response.

I also get that this type of fundraising, or crowdsourcing isn't for everyone. Those that want to participate will and others won't. That's the beauty of choice.

And you're right, there's a lot of other expenses related to bringing back a print magazine and a publishing company to support it. All of the legal, behind the scenes stuff, paperwork, lawyer fees, etc, are pretty pricey. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, all of us have skin in the game ... I'm personally betting my retirement on this.

And again, no one is taking any money raised out of the fundraising for a minimum of a year (most likely more). Every penny goes back into the magazine.

And yeah, I can totally see how you'd think this is similar to those gold coins (which I find hilarious, btw). The exception is, no one said the issue was going to "grow in value", just that it was a collector's item ... something to add to your current collection of VWT magazines and VW memorabilia.

Also, a big thank you for the positive outlook that you think we'll sell out all 900 copies! I appreciate the optimism, and I hope that's the case! Pre-sales have been brisk, and the public response overall has been positive.

Thanks again for your feedback, I'm sure you might find it hard to believe, but I do appreciate it.

Also, if you'd like to contribute, go to www.vwtrendsmagazine.com and choose a level of support you are comfortable with!
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

DanLeadbetter wrote:
Hey everyone!

I appreciate and respect your comments. To answer Glenn's question, yes, I had reached out to Everett (on the 12th of March) about buying banner ads on the site. Still waiting on a response.

I also get that this type of fundraising, or crowdsourcing isn't for everyone. Those that want to participate will and others won't. That's the beauty of choice.

And you're right, there's a lot of other expenses related to bringing back a print magazine and a publishing company to support it. All of the legal, behind the scenes stuff, paperwork, lawyer fees, etc, are pretty pricey. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, all of us have skin in the game ... I'm personally betting my retirement on this.

And again, no one is taking any money raised out of the fundraising for a minimum of a year (most likely more). Every penny goes back into the magazine.

And yeah, I can totally see how you'd think this is similar to those gold coins (which I find hilarious, btw). The exception is, no one said the issue was going to "grow in value", just that it was a collector's item ... something to add to your current collection of VWT magazines and VW memorabilia.

Also, a big thank you for the positive outlook that you think we'll sell out all 900 copies! I appreciate the optimism, and I hope that's the case! Pre-sales have been brisk, and the public response overall has been positive.

Thanks again for your feedback, I'm sure you might find it hard to believe, but I do appreciate it.

And if you would like to "contribute".....................this should either be you buy a magazine or not. If you are such an ENTHUSIAST, why have you chosen not to even support the Samba until September of 2020 with your presence. Funny thing you have not even been here but NOW you are pimping for your "NEW" old rag. This is a "rolling ad" with your business name and asking for people here to "Support" your undertaking by buying your NEW COLLECTORS SIGNED EDITIONS ........... This ad should NOT be here, with constant comments by an individual who proports to be an owner. The forums really have no place for "selling" ideas or parts. Personally, I understand Everett not responding to you on buying any ad. But, I would ban or stop you from posting this "rolling ad" on this site.
DanLeadbetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Hey wheel607!

I really appreciate your passion and your protectiveness of this site.! And I also hear what you are saying. One thing to remember is I didn't start this thread. I came in to this thread to answer questions and lend some clarity about what we're doing to bring VW Trends back (which there were quite a few) and how people could be involved, if they choose to. If there weren't comments that needed addressing, I wouldn't be commenting.

And like you said, "this should be either you buy a magazine or not". You hit the nail on the head! And that's EXACTLY the choice we're giving people. They can choose to buy or not! Again, that's the beauty of choice and choosing what you want to support.

Thanks again for your comments and feedback.

If you'd like to contribute, go to www.vwtrendsmagazine.com and choose a level of support you are comfortable with!

Last edited by DanLeadbetter on Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Is this really a “NEW” thing...

Few post back he says It VWT’s 46yr anniversary (with a 16yr dormancy)

Starting to wonder if I pay $200 for a T-shirt and first issue and 4additional..

What if it doesn’t happen 🤷‍♂️

Is it a corporate structure or a sole proprietorship? How would I get my refund?

Read the “blog” on the site and it says the first issue is going to be the SAME CONTENT as the initial collectors issue, but with a different cover page..

TV guide used to do that so you would have/want to buy them all for your collection..
What a scheme..but great marketing strategy to double/triple sales.
Hot wheels does that with their paint schemes. I’m addicted to those for a buck a pop and the search is most of the fun!

Now I’m wondering if the future content would be recycled past content with a different cover page..

Think I’m going to wait till I actually see and touch a physical copy to decide to buy or not.
Personally, I don’t trust subscriptions anymore having been burned before.

On a side note though... years ago I was looking into advertising in HVW and VWT..
They would send me a few FREE sample copies in a packet with ad layout costs. Wonder if that’s avail..
Used to get plenty of free stickers as well
DanLeadbetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Hey vwinnovator!

Those are great questions, thank you for asking.

For starters, yes, it IS a new magazine. New staff, new publishing company, new look, new direction. And yes, it will be the 46th year of the magazine (if memory serves).

The "What if it doesn't happen?" is a very valid question. It's already happening, but short answer is this: Everyone that bought in will get a refund for the things they didn't receive. Plain and simple. On that, you have my word. VW Trends is the only magazine currently being published by STA Publishing LLC, which is owned by myself and four others.

I hear you on the TV Guide and Hot Wheels thing (I had over 250 Hot Wheels when I was a kid, sold them all for $2 ... another story for another time). Yes, the "Collector's Edition" has a variant cover, that will come with a signed & numbered certificate. Only a limited amount of those will be sold (900 max), and never be available as a reprint. We will then have the "newsstand" version of the cover (same content) that the people who joined the Platinum and Gold level will receive in their quarterly subscription (actually EVERYONE will get that issue when we make subscriptions available after the fund raising portion ends (toward the end of April).

And no, all the content is brand new (and it's been a ton of work, lemme tell you). We WILL be doing a few stories here and there like a retro-event, with never before seen photos from a show, or a flashback page, but no, all the content is brand new ... not recycled.

Waiting to see what comes out is totally fair, and I get it. No harm no foul there. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at what you see.

And yes, we will have actual physical media kits that we're sending to potential advertisers (yes and free stickers, as well).

Hope this answers some of your questions. If you have any others, you can either post them here, or I'm happy to email you [email protected].

~ Dan

If you'd like to contribute, go to www.vwtrendsmagazine.com and choose a level of support you are comfortable with!
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

DanLeadbetter wrote:
Hey vwinnovator!

Those are great questions, thank you for asking.

For starters, yes, it IS a new magazine. New staff, new publishing company, new look, new direction. And yes, it will be the 46th year of the magazine (if memory serves).

Everyone that bought in will get a refund for the things they didn't receive. Plain and simple. On that, you have my word.

the bolds are where things just sound fuzzy to me...

It's NOT 46yrs of the magazine though.. It's 46yr of the name..with several owners...
I know another long standing company that has had the name passed through several owners (E***) and look how that has gone..

"bought in".."founders packages"..These are words that mean I'm part of a company and will also receive profits from it. when I buy in to a company, I expect an ownership stake and a return on my investment.

Words can be tricky especially from writers who are crafty at spinning terminologies..So do those "Founders and buying in" get a piece of the company??
DanLeadbetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Hey vwinnovator!

Again, great questions. Let me see if I can shed more clarity.

I'm not sure I understand what the sticking point is on the 46 years. Yes, it's been 46 years since the magazine was launched, and it's been through at least 3 different publishing, had various staffs, and is a different magazine now than it was then. Does that diminish the fact that the name and what it stood for has been around for that long and holds a special place in the hearts of people that remember it? I dunno. For me it doesn't. Kind of like when I found out that Bentley and Lamborghini we owned by Volkswagen. Didn't change how I felt about the cars, even though they were sold to and now owned by a wildly different company than the original. I'm pretty sure they still make anniversary editions of the Lambo. Does that make sense?

And as far as the Founder's Packages wording goes, I see what you are saying. The short answer is no, there's no ownership or piece of the company being sold when they buy in.

What is being sold is a set of perks for helping bring back something that a lot of people want to see again, so in one sense, there's pride in knowing you were instrumental in helping bring back something that should never had died in the first place. That, and the other items in each package is what the buy in is for.

Sorry if those terms felt confusing or misleading for you. Again, I can see how you could take it like that.

I appreciate you quest for clarity! If you have any other questions, you can either post them here, or I'm happy to email you: [email protected].

~ Dan

vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

DanLeadbetter wrote:
Hey vwinnovator!

Again, great questions. Let me see if I can shed more clarity.

I'm not sure I understand what the sticking point is on the 46 years. Yes, it's been 46 years since the magazine was launched, and it's been through at least 3 different publishing, had various staffs, and is a different magazine now than it was then. Does that diminish the fact that the name and what it stood for has been around for that long and holds a special place in the hearts of people that remember it? I dunno. For me it doesn't.

And as far as the Founder's Packages wording goes, I see what you are saying. The short answer is no, there's no ownership or piece of the company being sold when they buy in.

What is being sold is a set of perks for helping bring back something that a lot of people want to see again, so in one sense, there's pride in knowing you were instrumental in helping bring back something that should never had died in the first place. That, and the other items in each package is what the buy in is for.

Sorry if those terms felt confusing or misleading for you.

~ Dan

Really not that confused...

You've mentioned that your betting your retirement on this..several times..

If the name doesn't matter to you, then why bank on it instead of riding it's coattails? If it's considered NEW and content will be different than past, why not really try something NEW...like hay burner is doing..
kind of like the hula hoop is just the hula hoop every time it comes back and disappears over and over again...

"betting retirement" on a magazine that folded 16yrs ago? one you said you worked for...Were you planning on retiring off it as well back then??
Did you have a "buy-in" or ownership stake in it back then as well?
Did you lose anything other than your job from the "corporate greed" as you call it? Did you have access to their financials back then? Did it fail from losses or did those Owners retire off it's peak?

I guess it just my opinion that when I see solicitation using words like "FOUNDER and "BUY_IN" and take "PRIDE" in knowing while also stating things like "betting retirement" on it...well you all ponder it out and make your own assessments

I can certainly understand a business model of having the bulk of risk paid for from elsewhere while reaping the full reward if the business works.

Personally, I'd love for everyone to donate to me for a CNC machine so i can make some really cool and new never seen before vw parts that I have designed in my head. Once I get enough money I can 3D print a prototype. I'd make a few on a limited run so the "elite" vw enthusiasts can buy them. Premium packaging as well!
(First run will cost them most, so I anticipate only the elite with deep pockets could purchase)
Big racers and high end show car builders will have the claim of being the first to use them.
If I sell out the first batch, I'll mass produce them and use generic packaging to lower the cost for the avg buyer to have them. Just hope to sell enough before china copies my designs....
Probably have to advertise in magazines as well and those magazine will probably want to do features on my products too Think Guess I'll need a hot model in my ads as well...I know just the person Laughing My adds will be WILD!!

While at it, I have a great idea for my own magazine as well (as you can tell I've research it's launch cost in previous posts) and I'm planning my retirement off it as well. Wait for it....

I'm call my magazine "RETIRE".

content will be devoted entirely to TIREs...(see what i did)

tire sizes, shapes, tread patterns, performances, speedratings, fitment, brands...

probably have features of the same tire on various wheels to show how the wheels accent the tire differently from wheel to wheel

probably a a lot of burnout picture too showing how each tire featured make different qualities of smoke:
color, thickness, texture, maybe a scratch and sniff for smell Shocked

Just think of the advertisers the magazine will attract.
It will be a GOOD year once I get this off the ground.

I better get on it now..

What is today.... April 1st??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

(dammit...just realized I gave out my idea and some magazine is going to copy it and do some tire / wheel features now) Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

Last edited by vwinnovator on Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:58 am; edited 2 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
Personally, I'd love for everyone to donate to me for a CNC machine so i can make some really cool and new never seen before vw parts that I have designed in my head. Once I get enough money I can 3D print a prototype. I'd make a few on a limited run so the "elite" vw enthusiasts can buy them. Premium packaging as well!

Where do I send my money?

Here's where i invested my money.

https://www.rarecollectiblestv.com/5oz-gold-dust-from-the-ss-central-america.html
For $20,000 I get something tangible... 5oz of gold dust. The going price is $1730/oz so 5 ounces is worth $8650. I guess the remaining $11350 is in the book and paperwork they give you.

"come with a limited edition SS Central America Bell label signed by Bob Evans, the Chief Scientist of the SS Central America Ship of Gold Coin Project! Included with every order, you will receive the renowned book, America's Greatest Treasure Ship: The SS Central America."

At least at the end of the day you still have the gold which has some value so it's not a total loss.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
DanLeadbetter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Hey vwinnovator!

Hahahaha! on the new mag! I think you'll get some traction out of it (thank you, I'll be here all week). But to answer your questions:

<<<If the name doesn't matter to you, then why bank on it instead of riding it's coattails?>>>

i never said the name didn't matter, it matters a lot! It's a proven title that people want to see come back.

<<"betting retirement" on a magazine that folded 16yrs ago? one you said you worked for...Were you planning on retiring off it as well back then??>>

Nope, i wasn't. I was 25 when I started working at VWT, it was my first REAL career. And yes, I'm banking my retirement (ALL of it) on this venture.

<<Did you have a "buy-in" or ownership stake in it back then as well?>>

Nope, I was just a member of the staff.

<<Did you lose anything other than your job from the "corporate greed" as you call it?>>

I didn't lose my job there. I left VWT after I started another magazine (Auto sound & Security) with the same publishing company. It was taking too much of my time. After that, I got burned out and left to do other things.

<<Did you have access to their financials back then? Did it fail from losses or did those Owners retire off it's peak?>>

No, I did not. No one except the owner and CFO had access to those. We only got circulation numbers. It was at it's peak when both owners tragically passed away within 6 months of each other. Then it got sold to a big New York publisher (Modern bride, The New Yorker, etc), from there, it got moved around a couple more times. From what I was told from the last surviving staffers, the publishing company who owned it at the end had cut the staff and freelance budget so low, they couldn't put out a quality magazine anymore. So when that happened, advertising started dwindling, and the quality of the mag went to hell. The bean counters saw the numbers going down, made more cuts, the magazine quality suffered again, then they unceremoniously killed it.

That's the story on that. If anyone else has any more info, please feel free to post it.

~ Dan

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

One thing that will vote me off the Island - objectifying pictures. This isnt the 60s, and Adults have moved on from that. Plenty of other venues for that if that is your thing.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: VW Trends is BACK! Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:

Where do I send my money?

Fantastic!!

Being one of the first to respond you will not only get pride in being the first to send me money, but I will sign the first part you buy.

In fact, you will also receive a certificate of percent ownership, that’s right OWNERSHIP, in a fraction of the cnc machine itself. (.0001%, which may be diluted as others send money too)
You won’t receive any profits off the sale of parts, but if a day come that the cnc machine is sold, you’ll be sure to get your percentage at that time of any money it’s sold for.

Last edited by vwinnovator on Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 13

Jump to: