Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedometer cable question
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Speedometer cable question Reply with quote

I bought a VW speedo to use in my buggy, I was hoping someone could give me an idea of which cable I should use. Just a quick search and I see half a dozen different ones. I was going to use the grease cap I already have, drill a 1/2" hole in it and take the disc brake cap, cut out the portion with the square hole and weld it in place on my cap. Should make a nice smokey mess in the shop.
dirtkeeper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable question Reply with quote

Try one from a super beetle I think they are a few inches longer than a bug and a little long in a a buggy will probably work. And I would just drill the square hole directly in the cap
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable question Reply with quote

dont forget the rubber seals for the speedo cable in the spindle.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable question Reply with quote

Well I got my cable, there's no dang hole in my spindle. Am I missing something simple? Maybe I'm just not seeing it, I don't know.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable question Reply with quote

Aftermarket spindles? Some of them don’t come drilled.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable question Reply with quote

I don't think so, these are late 50s factory spindles. LH thread on the left side and of course king pins. I thought all vw beetles used a speedo drive off the LF wheel.
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable question Reply with quote

If seems it's not drilled, maybe it's clogged with junk. Dirt, old grease, etc. Packed in there. Try drilling it out with a 1/4" drill bit. If you run into shiny metal, it's not drilled. If it's not drilled., it's not a spindle from a street Bug.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevebaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable question Reply with quote

May have a pin pressed in it. The buggy book goes over this.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedometer cable question Reply with quote

May be easiest to see from the wheel bearing side. I would pull the drum brake and inspect that way. Last thing you want to do is push a bunch of dirt into the cavity where the wheel bearings are. Then you have to clean and repack the outer wheel bearing, making sure every last spec of dirt has been removed. Sounds like more work to pull the drum, but you will likely be time ahead in the long run.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: