Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct grab handle?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
please post what you find about the replacement ivory strip, I know where an old one is but didn't buy it cause that part was toasted.

I think we all would like to know where we could find those. Your $50 handle could become a $200 real fast. Wink
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so what gary is making is the part between the alum and the dash??
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:
so what gary is making is the part between the alum and the dash??

Yes..............either he or Ricardo, but it's been repro'ed already.
Brezelwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Grab handles Reply with quote

tazm wrote:
Bob ,there are at least 3 different grab handles !
And I'm not sure if they where used after 58 !

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards,

Guido

Great thread. Those are the 3 handles that I've come across before as well, and a 4th being the one with the light assembly inside which I agree with Bob is sort of one of those holy grail accessories.

I also agree with Bob there are two different early/late beetle versions, and the third I'm not sure about which has the deeply dished base, and just haven't had time to investigate, but yes I have been told that one was for a bus. But now that I actually own a 60' singlecab (surprise) I can't see how or where that curved base would fit, but maybe I'm missing something.

I do make the flexible ivory base gaskets yes, can make them in any color but ivory was the only authentic color far as I know, however I have done them in black prior for bus guys that actually did install these in their early barndoors.

On the to-do list is reproducing that finely lined/ribbed ivory insert gasket yes, its just down the list a bit since so much is going on here now, but its definitely a needed part for these handles since so many inserts are in really bad shape out there. Unfortunately most of these handles as-is are just put aside and considered unuseable for most cars. There will be a compromise though in the reproduction which is that it will have to be epoxied into the handle rather than using the rod. The original insert is a flexible ivory rubber extrusion, the internal rod bends the piece to fit inside the handle, ingenious and great for volume production but too expensive to be made for 50 pieces at at time. Once the reproduction is epoxied in there will be no way to tell it from the original except that the insert will look NOS.

I don't believe these ivory insert handles were correct for a 51. From my research the polished solid aluminum ribbed style grab handle (which I already reproduce today) was available for splits only, and have only seen this handle style on splits in period pictures. The 56-ish large VW accessories catalog shows both style grab handles being available however.

I have access to one of the rare lighted version grab handles should I desire to reproduce it. I can do it no problem but its rather expensive, and if I did rest assured I would clearly indicate in the casting that it was our reproduction with our new logo stamped into the aluminum, don't expect it though for at least another 9 months since many other things are in the pipeline right now.

Thats about it, definitely appreciate any more information, especially on that deeply curved base handle.
Gary
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will notice that in this picture, there appears to be very little "dish" to the handle ends.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=393140
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clear up some info, the only factory install of dash handles prior to 61 was for Karmann convertibles. Sedan handles were generally installed by the dealer.

Left handle is for 58-60 Type I sedan

Middle is for 53-57 sedan and convertible Type I AND 55-60 Type II

Right is for 58-early 60 convertible bug

Left 53-57 Type I AND 55-60 Type II

Right is for 58-60 Type I sedan

I have 3 of the oval era handles, one came with my 56 vert, the second I pulled off a horizon blue 57 and the third I pulled of a 58/59 bus.
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

Another question about the dash grab handles...

Do all 4 grab types have the same shape 'U' spacers that fit to the backside of the dash?

Hoping someone could make a drawing or tracing of all profiles of both left & right pieces? ...with measurements?

When I removed my original handle somehow I managed to lose both of them. Though, I do remember when I took them off that the left & right sides were different sizes when I put them next to each other and follow the slight taper on the dash lip... From looking at the dash from the front seat, the left side was slightly larger than the right one and also weren't reversible if you flipped them around ...

Tried making a set but none of my profile gauges will fit up into that area to trace their profiles...
(If you scroll up, I have the middle handle shown as being correct for 53-57 sedan is the ones I'm actually looking for)
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

I've got several of those Oval dash grab handles lying here. Centerline to centerline of the threaded M8 posts, looks like 190mm. Are they Happich GHE? Are they Happich? Or are they GHE? It's my understanding that these came standard on Oval Kabrioletts and were an optional accessory for a Sedan or Sunroof model.

I also have one here with the much more curved "interface" with the dashboard, and with that curvature (as seen in Dave's photos above) it must be an accessory dash grab handle for a 1958 and onward to ?? Beetle dash. This handle has a long M8 pair of mounting studs. I think this Square-windshield Beetle handle has a metal backing plate that goes forward of the dash (in the trunk) and spans the two handle mounting studs for more fastener rigidity?

One more question. On the Oval handles with a very slight curve on the interface with the dashboard, there is a slight angle to the face of the plastic insert. Is there a correct angle to mount the handle? Oh hell, while we are at it, what mounting hardware was used? I'm guessing a split-lock washer and a 14mm hex head nut. Sound correct?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

Hey Bill my grab handle that came on my vert had star washers, here are some NOS ones I found in the classifieds. One shows star washers one shows no washers. The bottom pic is for 58 and up.

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

Awesome Dave!

I'm buffing out the best handle and plastic insert to eventually get to live on my "project" '57 Kab. I hand buffed out the aluminum part of the handle and scrubbed and cleaned the original plastic inserts yesterday and now I'm just trying to get the "correct" fastener stuff organized. A year or two ago I bought the Brezelwerks reproduction of the two plastic end grommets. The hex nuts on all of my handles are 14mm and the handles that still had lock washers were "split-type" lock washers. It looks from your upper Oval handle photo that the lock washer is one of those fancy internal serrated lock washers. Oddly, neither of those photographed kits included the metal bracket that I asked about above. I'll try to post a photo of that bracket soon.

I guess the answer to my question above about exactly who made 'em is answered by the kit envelopes in your photos which have both the Happich and GHE logos on them.

I don't know why I put myself through this detail shit sometimes, but trying to get it right is kinda satisfying.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

I think i know what metal bracket you are talking about, If i remember correctly its maybe v or u shaped and goes on the back side of the dash ? I have one also but i think it came off a 58 & up grab handle or maybe off my vert Embarassed I will have to look for it in my bins or maybe its on my vert. Still dealing with Covid brain fog ugh Confused

1963 Hard Top

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

Sounds like the one I have too, kinda "V" shaped down the length of it. I suspect it fits the '58 and up Beetle dash ridge better than it would the barely curved dash shape of the Oval Kabriolett dash.

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

Here are a couple of photos of the metal backing bracket I have which I believe must go on the accessory version of this Happich GHE dash assist handle shaped for the 1958-60? Beetle.

Without a bunch of home alteration/carving to the interface surface of the aluminum handle to the dashboard profile, this particular bitchen handle does not go on an Oval Beetle dash. Thoughts?

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by BulliBill on Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

Now i have to go look for the one i have Very Happy I'm thinking mine might look different but probably the same.
FYI
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2211558

1963 Hard Top

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

Those end seals "look" nice, shape is a little different, but if you don't have any end seals, there you go! I have a pair of the end seals that Brezelwerks made a while back, they look right on correct in appearance. I saw that Nancy and Dick Nortleson ordered a pair of the new seals for their Oval and they had issues (too stiff, cracked when handle tightened). I wonder if they have fixed that issue?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Those end seals "look" nice, shape is a little different, but if you don't have any end seals, there you go! I have a pair of the end seals that Brezelwerks made a while back, they look right on correct in appearance. I saw that Nancy and Dick Nortleson ordered a pair of the new seals for their Oval and they had issues (too stiff, cracked when handle tightened). I wonder if they have fixed that issue?

Bill

I have a pair also, to bad nobody is reproducing the plastic insert mine is extremely worn out. I wish Gary was still making parts!!!

1963 Hard Top

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

Damn Dave! Your handle on your Sedan looks great! My '55 Sunroof is "handle-less" just as she came from Wolfsburg. My project '57 Kabriolett is the one that I have at least three Happich GHE handles for. Yes, I wish someone would come out with a nice reproduction for the insert plastic strip. Luckily all three of mine are a bit discolored (a little darker) but none are cracked or broken which is about all I could hope for from over 60 year old original parts.

I did carefully take two of those handles apart this week to clean them. I picked the one that will soon reside on the '57 Kab's dashboard, disassembled it, and broke out my favorite old detailing toothbrush and using Dawn detergent, gingerly and carefully scrubbed the holy shit out of the fine grooves of the the plastic. Surprisingly it cleaned up pretty nicely, lightening in color a bit as patina and hand oils, dust and dirt were washed away.

Then I took the aluminum handle and painstakingly hand polished the aluminum with that blue colored (Blue Magic?) aluminum polish until I could almost see my reflection in it. Then I carefully reassembles the insert into the handle, and tucked the whole affair back into it's storage bag and onto the shelf to await the restoration. It looks much nicer now.

Was Gary ever making the long insert plastic strip? I know he made the end seals (I bought a pair). So you installed the other ("project Therapy") reproduction's end seals which look nice in your photo. Any kind of issues with flexibility like the Lorntson's had? I might want to buy one more pair of those for one of my other handles. Maybe I'll consider adding a handle to my '55?

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

Bill that’s a picture of my vert, notice the door and the locking glovebox. The gaskets i have no idea where i got them, maybe i did get them from Gary.
They are soft gaskets not like the ones project therapy sells. When i first started this thread 13 years ago i was talking with Gary back and fourth about making some inserts, he said the only problem would be making the hole to run the metal wire through and i suggested we can just epoxy them into the channel and that is as far as it got. Maybe someday someone will reproduce them, hopefully. Have you ever tried using Wenol for polishing parts ?

1963 Hard Top

tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

56Cabrio wrote:

Those repro gaskets look very good!
And I think the original ones were not that great to begin with.
(maybe not the best picture but that is what I had on my phone) just for comparison in the car: those repro gaskets look super-close to my originals.
The gasket on the right side is a tad worn at the bottom because the hard plastic is quite brittle. I kinda doubt anyone would see a difference between your gaskets and mine unless they were looking from an inch away and touching them....but who would do that?
Btw just off the top of my head, I don't recollect having a support bar on the rear, but I should check under the hood to be 100% sure (not near the car right now, sorry).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct grab handle? Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Are they Happich GHE? Are they Happich? Or are they GHE?

Actually GHE = Happich Wink
Gebrüder Happich Elberfeld
(the Happich Brothers from Elberfeld)

Happich still exists as a business nowadays.
https://www.happich.de/en/company/overview-of-the-happich-group
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: