Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Speedster Roadster Style Tonneau Cover
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:51 pm    Post subject: Speedster Roadster Style Tonneau Cover Reply with quote

Has anybody seen one on a Thing? Couldnt find any images on the interwebs. I was thinking it would be a cool accessory.

Here's an image i found to give an idea of what im thinking.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Speedster Roadster Style Tonneau Cover Reply with quote

Uh, all those compound curves would be out of place on a boxy Thing.
Were you imagining something that would look more like two fruit crates under a tarp?
Something like that might have some usefulness.
72 Baja
av8shunmeckaneck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster Roadster Style Tonneau Cover Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Uh, all those compound curves would be out of place on a boxy Thing.
Were you imagining something that would look more like two fruit crates under a tarp?
Something like that might have some usefulness.

The curves weren't part of the vision. The picture was just to help explain the idea. Crates under a tarp is a good description. Maybe some ribs like the ones in the body.

I was thinking light weight composite, hinged at the rear maybe. Or simply remove the whole thing for access. Figured it would look sort of cool but also be a semi-secure storage location. Use the pinch-weld bead to locate it. Use the loops that secure the soft top to secure it. It could stay in place with the top installed.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster Roadster Style Tonneau Cover Reply with quote

Seriously, I don't think it's a bad idea at all. You could even make a two piece one that locks the front seating area and fits in the trunk.
How about built in speaker cabinets? Anyway, I think you'll have to come up with you're own one off.
The Thing aftermarket for custom parts is pretty small so I can't imagine anyone developing this idea as a successful product.
If you make one, I'll definitely be watching!
72 Baja
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Speedster Roadster Style Tonneau Cover Reply with quote

This isnt my Thing but i think its a great idea. Not sure if it is what you have in mind but i'm sure you can base it on this an add the headrest parts somehow

1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: