Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Somewhat military related... Panzer Gray

TAMIYA 85004 Paint Spray TS-4 Panzer Grey

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

Also a nice color, but if I painted it that color name I think my son would make me add a turret. Laughing
ente_kaefer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Semper_Dad wrote:
mondshine wrote:

Also a nice color, but if I painted it that color name I think my son would make me add a turret. Laughing

If I was to repaint my Typ 181, it would probably be gelbbraun . . .

https://www.1944militaria.com/German_WWII_Ordinance_Tan_Paint_Quart_p/espgbqt.htm
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I always had a soft spot for the Jeep color "Anvil".
It's sort of a medium non-metallic gray.

Good luck, Mondshine

Eh, most non-metallic greys just look like shiny primer.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

See...
Anvil Gray!

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

So after waiting over a year for paint and body come to fruition, the deed gets done and the car comes home. Photos taken after two days of reassembly.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Mon Mar 07, 2022 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Congratulations!

That's a nice color. It seems like you could be back on the road by the time it's warm enough for a top-down ride.

That Thing would look good on the front lawn of Mountain Inn & Suites in Flat Rock, NC come July.
Example:

Link

Good luck with your project!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

New discovery while mounting the rear tire rack.

The holes? What happen to my pre-existing holes? Did they fall off the car?

Link

My body and paint guy was a bit over eager apparently. Got to find a template in order to drill (Yikes!) in the right location.

Also,....It's been almost 2 years since I disassembled the car. Thought I bagged and tagged everything. I can't seem the find the backing plates for the tire rack. Did they have them? I would think that there were to keep from tearing the sheet metal.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

E-mail sent.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Day 4 and the fun continues

Doors all fitted out. New seals. Outside handles will be powder coated black.

Door rack helps

Backside of engine compartment where my holes disappeared. Will have to redrill.

Back seats including those damn buffers sorted out

Hood and windshield all sorted out

For the most part I have been reusing my hardware. Each nut, bolt, washer, screw and fitting get a turn at the wire wheel, a coat of epoxy primer and a color coat.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Day 8

Got the rear tire rack reinstalled. Body guy inadvertantly had filled several of the mounting holes. There's a copy of the install directions in theSamba Archives. The instructions include s drill template. My concern was whether it was the correct scale since the one in the archive appears to be scanned. Another was whether my aftermarket light were close enough to OEM since the template is positioned in reference to the taillight. Bottom line was that everything fit proper.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Got the engine seals installed. Tried out the "dry" method of install. Involved copious quantities of cornstarch and colorful colloquialisms as lubricant.

Mocked out the dash to make sure I had all the necessary parts. Decided to keep the dash pods and glove door black.

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Day 13

Not done by a long shot. Still need to do some body adjustments and fixes. Electrical system from scratch. The only thing that was kept was the master brake harness and that was only because the Thing Shop was out of stock when I ordered it. Turns out my original was still passable. After electrical, the engine goes in and a full systems check.

Preparing for the electrical part of this rebuild

Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Anybody ever install the Thing Shop's Headlight wiring harness? Looks to be simple enough. I do have one question though.

Branch 1 - Driver's side (Left) Headlight/Turn Assembly
Branch 2 - Passenger's side (Right) Headlight/Turn Assembly
Branch 3 - Goes to horn, Brown=Ground on horn, Blk/Yel to Horn, Blue= No idea?????
Branch 4 - Ground, Plus into grounding lug on left front fender inside trunk

What's the blue wire in Branch 3 for Question Question Question Question Question Question Question

BTW, on the other end of the harness (dash end), the blue wire appears to be paired up with a green wire.

EDIT
So,...Searching the Thing/Type 181 brought up this thread from 4 years back.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699401&highlight=harness

I don't think the blue wire is heavy enough to support a fog light load.

Haven't found and definitive answer yet though. Guess the Thing Shop will be getting a phone call on Monday.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Day 18

Confirmed with the Thing Shop that the front headlight/turn signal does indeed have 2 extra wires that are not on the official schematics. A red and green wire.

The red wire is routed along with the horn power (Blk/Yel) and horn ground (brown). It was meant to power up a 2nd horn such as the Hi/Lo horns. I'm going to repurpose the red wire for an electric windshield pump.

Couldn't get a definitive answer for the green wire. It resides on the harness near the passenger side of the trunk just before it enters the fender well. I don't have any plans for this wire for the moment so I'll just insulate and tie it back.

Anybody have a resource for the 90 degree angled open barrel push-on connectors used in the headlight plug? All I could find was the headlight "repair" plug with wires already attached. I'm just looking for the brass contact.

Also looking for the plastic 4 gang flat insulator used for the tail lights. Anybody have a resource or part number?

Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Remove the female connector on the tail light side first. Look inside the plastic connector and you should see the small tab. Insert a very small screwdriver in to the plastic connector and push the tab down. The wire should release and pull out.

Last edited by Al Capulco on Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:52 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:52 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
To release the wire terminal insert the small screwdriver on the wire loom side of the connector. Follow along the wire. If you take a look inside the plastic connector you will see the tab that you have to release (push down). Remove the female connector on the tail light side first.

My issue is trying to find replacement connectors. My originals were melted away in the engine fire. Doesn't appear anybody is reproducing them. I found a few in the classifieds but they look pretty roached out.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Since the wiring in my Thing is no longer stock, I have changed all of the connectors like that (those not exposed to splash) to Yazaki CN-A 250 connectors like these:
http://www.cycleterminal.com/250-connectors.html
Al Capulco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

The flag terminal your looking for is 180422-2 TE/AMP. They are 0.35 cents at Digi-Key. They have a larger tab width then the standard connector. Standard is 0.250 and the flag terminal for headlights is 0.312. You need a special crimper to crimp flag terminals, that's why most vendors sell the complete connector.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Walkure Down! Phoenix Rising (Rebuild Thread) Reply with quote

Al Capulco wrote:
The flag terminal your looking for is 180422-2 TE/AMP. They are 0.35 cents at Digi-Key. They have a larger tab width then the standard connector. Standard is 0.250 and the flag terminal for headlights is 0.312. You need a special crimper to crimp flag terminals, that's why most vendors sell the complete connector.

Good information, Thank you. I ended up splicing in a repair connector

Day 26 - Current status

Installed a few newly powder coated pieces. Apparently the powder coating process may deform some parts. In this case, the turn signal covers. Required some pervasive manipulation in order for them to fit correctly. They fit before they went to powder coat. Headlight rings, door handles, and hubcaps all came out fine. Wonder whether it was the sandblasting or the oven that warped signal covers.

Gave the undercarriage a hot water power wash to get rid of the final remnants of the "dustless blasting".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: