Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Voltswagen" of America??
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

I think Volkswagen released this story two days ahead of April 1- April Fool's Day.

https://www.engadget.com/volkswagen-voltswagen-rebranding-190713047.html
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

I think they may be serious. They are trying everything to rehabilitate their image these days.
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Can't decide whether the name's good or bad, but I sure like the look of the vehicle:

https://image.cnbcfm.com/api/v1/image/106289277-15...&h=354
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kingkarmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

I'm sure they have copywritten "Voltswagen" to be used for marketing purposes. Maybe they plan to do a special Voltswagen Edition Smile

Mike Gerson

What is your "Bespoke Reality"?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

They can do whatever they want, I am done with buying their products. Since the demise of their high speed fuel efficient diesel they have not produced anything that would attract my attention that a dozen or more other car manufacturers are not already way ahead of them on.

They have lost their innovative edge and are vainly trying to catch up with a bit of marketing flash.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

I was told...... that the VW diesels were/are still MUCH cleaner than the US diesel pickups and that this was mostly political and anti-competitve, like the "chicken tax" on trucks.
Of course that could be social media BS.

Voltswagen could be a pre-april-fool stunt.
That has already produced massive advertising benefits.

Now you can produce false advertising several days before April fools day and nobody cares, its even embraced.
This does not bode well for our national intelligence.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Since VW hasn't supported the aircooled community in years... I could care less what they do.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Just read this.....

Stupid.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

unfortunately not an april fools thing
https://media.vw.com/en-us/releases/1499#images
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Good for them! In business, doing anything to get the marketplace talking about you, is a win, regardless if it becomes concrete.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Will they loose the copyright for the Volkswagen brand?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otherbeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Maybe it was a joke after all?

https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2021/03/volkswagen-apparently-played-us-and-everyone-else/
Coming to you from God’s Own Time Zone: Central Time…up near the Illinois/Minnesota border. ** Note I am currently (mostly) INACTIVE in the bus community due to temporary life changes. My price tracking from 2016 to 2021 is now over and data stored offline **
"Cows at the border of the Dairy State and the Land of Lincoln are remarkably honest."
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.

Is VW really the company to be joking about telling the truth these days?

FU, VWOA, whichever way you spell it out.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

And the idea that a lie can be justified as being so foolish on the face of it to not be believed won't work for VW any better than it will for certain ex-lawyers of certain politicians. From the link:

Quote:
Typically, OEMs insert some sort of language as a tell when they write up a fake release, unless the gag is so absurd as to be obvious. The telling language is usually a subtle way of saying “we’re just joking” to any journalist who hasn’t yet had enough caffeine to process a prank.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
FU, VWOA, whichever way you spell it out.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
They can do whatever they want, I am done with buying their products. Since the demise of their high speed fuel efficient diesel they have not produced anything that would attract my attention that a dozen or more other car manufacturers are not already way ahead of them on.

They have lost their innovative edge and are vainly trying to catch up with a bit of marketing flash.

agreed Smile
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Since VW hasn't supported the aircooled community in years... I could care less what they do.

Agreed..

BUT, electric vehicles are air cooled....

and they did have that electric chassis for late 70's convertible not long ago...

Doubt I'd buy any new cars from them in a while or ever..but I'll go test drive a few.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Well it's pretty shocking either way... Rolling Eyes
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes

Last new Vw I bought was an ‘87 Fox wagon. Weak assed plasticky piece of shit! Traded it within a year. Never looked back. Razz
ZsZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "Voltswagen" of America?? Reply with quote

It looks like it was a badly timed april fool's joke
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-name...BM2YJ?il=0
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: