Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oregon Coast- Whiskey Run??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Oregon Coast- Whiskey Run?? Reply with quote

Looking at spending some time on the Oregon coast next week. We like to camp where we can see, hear and smell the ocean. One location I came across is off a beach access at the end of Whiskey Run road between Bandon and Coos Bay. Here is the google view of the beach access https://www.google.com/maps/@43.2107945,-124.39422...660!8i2830

We have a lifted 2WD Westy with a Peloquin and Grabber ATX tires. The road looks good enough but I am looking for insight on beach sand. Anyone know if that is powdery soft or is it pretty firm? Being spring time I would think it would be pretty moist and drivable in a 2wd. Sand is not our Westy's forte so I am pretty cautious. Tides look low enough next week that we won't float off to Japan. Also it seems as if there are no signs saying you can't camp however I am not sure about the rules for the southern Oregon beaches.

It's a tough mission to find beach camping and a tougher one that a 2WD westy can handle. Any thoughts or ideas? The closest we've come to an established campground is Oceanside RV park in Gold Beach. Most other campgrounds seem like you can't see the water because you are behind a dune or trees.
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Coast- Whiskey Run?? Reply with quote

Rock Creek, north of Florence.
Jd56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Coast- Whiskey Run?? Reply with quote

Whiskey run in my opinion is an awesome spot to camp. The sand is typically pretty compact and firm since there is a running creek right near where the road is to drive down to the beach. The road that leaves the parking lot down to the beach is pretty sketch in my opinion, steep, rocky, and big divots. I parked on pavement it’s on a hill so had to level the bus a little but could still see and smell and hear the ocean.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Oregon Coast- Whiskey Run?? Reply with quote

You're in a good zone. There are other waysides where one might sneak a free night, but who really knows these days with the covid crowds. Driving onto the sand may prove challenging.

RV park in Brookings is right on the beach too. There are also a few campgrounds in the central coast zone that are on the beach. Tillicum and Beachside CGs if you can get a site.

Used to be able to beach camp on the north side of Cape Kiwanda, but that zone is so zoo'ed out these days, I'm sure they're cracking down this.
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Coast- Whiskey Run?? Reply with quote

Great pictures of Whiskey Run beach. Those are helpful and if the stars align we'll keep that location on our list of options.

This place in Brookings got me excited because it's really close to the beach. http://www.beachfrontrvpark.com/welcome-1.html BUT the rules cancel us out. RVs need to be 20 years old or newer, no camper vans and no porta-pottis so we strike out on all 3 of those. That's okay because just up the road from them I found a similar RV park in Gold Beach. https://www.oceansiderv1.com/
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oregon Coast- Whiskey Run?? Reply with quote

We drove our Syncro Westy to the Oregon coast on one of our many trips there, this time near Pacific City, and I had the trans-to-front-diff driveshaft out for service, not anticipating any need for 4WD. You know where this is going . . .

I got the van stuck in the sand as the tide had just finished ebbing and the water was coming in. The waves on the sea-side crashed up to the sliding door!
A local saw my plight and gave me the phone number for Mad Dog Towing who came and pulled us out before the sea water got up to the top of the (then-stock) engine.

Lesson: Find the local 4WD towing company before driving onto the high-tide zone and have the number on speed-dial.

PS: Airing down your tires helps a LOT.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: