Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom kickpanels to fit parcel tray!
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpbmx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Custom kickpanels to fit parcel tray! Reply with quote

I’ve always wanted a parcel tray but from what i’ve seen most people on the forum say, it’s one or the other, speakers or tray . i didn’t imagine that was true so I decided to prove all the naysayers wrong! total of $30 in material and a couple hours work and turned out great.

I started by getting a piece of cardboard and cut it to the estimate shape i wanted. I cut a slight angle at the top left corner to fit the curve of the firewall and i cut a curve going over the heater channels. i also cut the main speaker hole and test fit to be sure it would fit okay. I decided to mount the speaker where it sits just above the heater channel curve but if you played around i’m sure you can make it sit higher or at different angles
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

i then got some thin wood from homedepot to cut based on my cardboard template. it’s some kind of particle wood i believe. once again, i put my speaker in to test fit here too. Once it mostly fit (the next steps will give a little extra space) i self tap screwed it into the car. keep in mind, i have 6.5” speakers so they aren’t small by any means. Shows how much space there really is.

I made two of these since the passenger side is a duplicate of the driver side. I also got some thick foam that i cut to shape and put it behind the wood for support. I did 2 pieces for each panel, one foam over the top, and one on the side. I also cut holes for my tweeters.

then i got some sound-deadening stuff from lowe’s for 18 bucks and covered it over the wood. I did about 2 layers on each to have it take shape properly.

Lastly, i glued the carpet over, and used a razor to cut both the holes out of the carpet. i silicone glued the tweeters into place (though it was a tight fit and probably unnecessary) then i screwed the speaker into place. remember to run the wires through before the foam and sound deadening step or else you’re going to have trouble accessing them

i then put the rest of the car together! i just zip tied the back of the bamboo parcel tray shelf to the steering column and the sides rest on top of the kickpanels and i think it turned out great! figured this info can help others out for sure!

gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Custom kickpanels to fit parcel tray! Reply with quote

Nice looking completion to the speaker mounts...I did my own parcel tray as well and nothing fall thru cause of no cracks or opening in my tray. I have a cup holder on mine also.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: