Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus Headlight Switch Mounting
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Bus Headlight Switch Mounting Reply with quote

So I realize this may be a pretty foolish question but I just can't seem to find the answer. I need to replace my headlight switch on my bus. When I pulled the current switch out I determined it was from a Type I bug since it didn't have a tab on #57. I purchased a new switch. It looks like this:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now, other switches I have that look like this I have been able to unscrew the metal eschuton(?) underneath the knob thereby freeing up the L shaped mounting bracket that contains the screw. However, on this new on, I cannot (even with pliers) unscrew the metal piece which makes me believe its supposed to be mounted using only the screw on the mounting bracket. This is important because,if that's true, I need to enlarge the hole in my dash so that the metal piece below the knob fits through the dash to act as a stablizing point. I don't want to do this before someone tells me this is the way this type of switch is supposed to mount. It also means the previous switch I had that looks like this was not supposed to unscrew from the mounting bracket. Thanks for the help.
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Headlight Switch Mounting Reply with quote

Well, just looking at the thing, you've got 3 components: The switch, the bracket, and the aluminum escutcheon (collar). They had to put it together somehow. Perhaps when grabbing the aluminum escutcheon firmly with pliers or vice grips you are crushing what I would imagine are the threads in the escutcheon against the shaft of the switch. I'd try wrapping the side of the aluminum escutcheon with a thick rubber band, then try to remove it with pliers or vice grips using a bit lighter grip but relying on the rubber band to help with the grip.

Or perhaps it's the third thing other than the left hand hubs on old cars and the collar inside a toilet tank around the handle that I've ever encountered with left hand threads.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Headlight Switch Mounting Reply with quote

Bus switch mounting doesn't involve the aluminum part.
Unscrew the knob.
Plug the wires in.
Press aluminum part up against the backside of the dash where the hole is.
Screw the screw in.
Screw the knob on.

Last edited by easy e on Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
BonTonRoulet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Headlight Switch Mounting Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
Bus switch mounting doesn't involve the aluminum part. Plug the wires in... put it in the hole and screw the screw in.

Ha! You just might be correct about that after looking at the one in my '66. The aluminum escutcheon sure looks thinner and it doesn't have the opposing holes in it to tighten it against the dash like the emergency flasher and the wiper switch. Good catch!
Rgl1100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Headlight Switch Mounting Reply with quote

Thank you. That’s what I thought
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Headlight Switch Mounting Reply with quote

For future refrence they make this collection of paper with words and pictures that tells you how to do things to your vehicle. It's kind of useful...

Volkswagen Transporter (Type 2) Workshop Manual: 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bus Headlight Switch Mounting Reply with quote

ToolBox wrote:
For future refrence they make this collection of paper with words and pictures that tells you how to do things to your vehicle. It's kind of useful...

It's not spelled refrence, for future reference. If typing condescending advice, at least be good at spelling. Otherwise, you drastically diminish your air of superiority.
They make this collection of paper with words that tells you how to spell. It's kind of useful...
https://shop.merriam-webster.com/collections/dictionaries/products/the-merriam-webster-dictionary
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bus Headlight Switch Mounting Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
ToolBox wrote:

It's not spelled refrence, for future reference. If typing condescending advice, at least be good at spelling. Otherwise, you drastically diminish your air of superiority.
They make this collection of paper with words that tells you how to spell. It's kind of useful...
https://shop.merriam-webster.com/collections/dictionaries/products/the-merriam-webster-dictionary

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: