Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Date stamps in bumpers
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

Someone is posting a bumper for sale claiming it is a 1954 with a date stamp to ID it? Not heard of this before, is there a thread for reading dates on bumpers?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2193991
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

yes VW bumpers were date stamped but I don't remember how to decipher them.
on that one I believe if it is for a 54 it should have 14 mm bolt heads
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

I have seen some dates before.
I know I looked at some on early Type 3 bumpers in the past.

I don't know if what he described as the date is accurate or not though as I don't know how to read them.

I did a search and found a couple threads
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=635955
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492682
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225431

It sounds like 2VW4 might be February, 1954
I'm not sure how to distinguish that from 1964, other than obviously design changes
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

considering they only had euro bumpers in 54, I'm gonna claim Fake News and it's probably a 64.

I have an original date stamped bumper as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

Yustrn wrote:
considering they only had euro bumpers in 54

Actually, overriders were available, albeit as a $30 extra-cost option:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That issue of Consumer's Report has an October 1954 cover date, which means the article and photos were probably prepared 2-3 months prior.

My 1954's birth certificate indicates it was imported to the US with overriders as a factory-installed option. I chose to restore it with Euro-style. Not only because it looks better, but overriders almost completely mask the low-mounted egg taillights from view. There's a good reason snowflakes were mounted much higher.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

Wouldnt that be a 55 then? Manufacture dates are earlier than model year.
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

Quote:
Wouldnt that be a 55 then?

No, through 1954 VW model years ran by calendar dates, January through December. The model year starting in August was introduced in 1955, so August through December '55s were designated '56.

In any event, for a car to be tested by Consumer's Report and published in September (since magazines are printed in advance of the cover date), the car would have had to arrive in the US no later than August, and probably sooner given magazine lead times. That means the car couldn't have finished and shipped prior to early July, if not earlier.

So even if they had started model years previous to 1955, this would have been made well before August. (My own '54 was built on June 14, shipped on the 19th, and would have reached San Francisco in mid/late July, and it originally had overriders.)
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

Went to look at some bumpers a local guy is selling. He says they both came off of a 57 beetle. Both front and rear bumpers have matching 3vw6 stamped in the center inside he also has a 36hp engine that he says came out of the same car.

My question is, other than the bolt sizes is there any way to distinguish a 1956 bumper from a 1966 bumper.

I have a 2vw8 bumper which is easier to figure because clearly a 1948 or a 1968 bumper would be completely different than a 1958.

Conrad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

So....did you buy the bumpers? If not I want them..pluze.
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

consvws wrote:

My question is, other than the bolt sizes is there any way to distinguish a 1956 bumper from a 1966 bumper.

Conrad

The chrome plating is much nicer on the 1966 bumper.

Like early hubcaps, the earlier bumpers have a tendency to form rust pits under the plating much quicker, which is one reason why they are rare today.
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

Yes I bought them. They must be 66 bumpers cause they are real nice chrome.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Date stamps in bumpers Reply with quote

The top bow with the bulge is either early oval or 1967-only, further adding to the confusion.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: