Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

It looks like the tire says it's a Barum, size 6.40-15C 6 ply
Zoomed in
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Barum appears to be a company in the Czech republic
https://www.barum-tyres.com/

When I did a Google searched Discount Tire came up as a seller but they didn't have that size listed, I wonder if they could order them?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Navydave73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Thanks Everett, i tried zooming in but I couldn’t see it. I love the pie crust, i can find firestone pie crusts but they are too big. On Coker i think its 700-15 or more 670-15
Rhodrich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Unlikely they're available now:

monkey knuts wrote:

These tyres are made by Barum and were made in former Czechoslovakia; so are pre 1993
I remember reading an article in a magazine once about how a huge stash of early VW’s was discovered in the basement of the factory including many split beetles!

These cost me £38 / $61 a piece – you’re looking at about £130 / $200 each now for crossplys!

They measure out at exactly 27” and are a tube type tyre as per OE spec.

There is a NOS Goodyear in there as well which is marginally smaller and a tubeless tyre.

Obviously the gaps are ‘unladen’ here.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
It looks like the tire says it's a Barum, size 6.40-15C 6 ply
Zoomed in

Barum appears to be a company in the Czech republic
https://www.barum-tyres.com/

When I did a Google searched Discount Tire came up as a seller but they didn't have that size listed, I wonder if they could order them?

I used to work for the Barum Dealer for Europe in Germany back in the day. We used to sell the 6.40 15s for a while. My brother and i used to sell them out of the back of our Doka in the 80s and early ninetees.

that is me replacing the flywheel seal on said doka, at the bullikartei meeting, note the tires in the back.

i do not know if Mefo in Roethlein Germany is still a Barum dealer or not. That was 30 years ago....

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iubhounds wrote:

The only mystery among the four different mechs I talked to online, one in person ... is how the RGBs work with an 1835cc engine. One says no problem. My shop and two in San Diego say they don't work well together and for me to get a smaller engine if I plan on using RGBs.

I've been running RGBs on my '63 DC with a 2110 for over 20k miles, lots of it at freeway speeds. No problems whatsoever.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bergfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrWhoopee wrote:
iubhounds wrote:

The only mystery among the four different mechs I talked to online, one in person ... is how the RGBs work with an 1835cc engine. One says no problem. My shop and two in San Diego say they don't work well together and for me to get a smaller engine if I plan on using RGBs.

I've been running RGBs on my '63 DC with a 2110 for over 20k miles, lots of it at freeway speeds. No problems whatsoever.

What RPM are you maintaining at freeway speed
MrWhoopee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bergfan wrote:
MrWhoopee wrote:
iubhounds wrote:

What RPM are you maintaining at freeway speed

I honestly couldn't tell you, I don't have a tach and it's been decades since I did the calculations. My trans is a '64 rebuilt with Super Beetle ring & pinion (and possibly taller 3rd & 4th). I did drive it for a while before the trans upgrade with a 1915cc motor. It was a bit like driving a dragster, hard to shift fast enough. Higher gearing is really the key to drivability with a big motor.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2023 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: How to keep a Bus stock and all stock height questions Reply with quote

Hi Gents
Please don't slaughter me, but I have a question or two ?

I am a bone stock height 67 Kombi. It's been off the road for a few months, and has now been reconfigured as a camper, with R&R bed Fridge pod etc.

I am currently running Porsche Fuchs re-pops that are 5.5J x ET20. Fitted with 195/70/15 tyres all round.

So Tyres are 195/70/15 current – Circumference 2054.6mm Diameter 654mm = 25.748”

I would like to try and get closer to the 27", and would probably go for

215/70/15 tyre – Circumference 2142.6mm Diameter 682 = 26.850”

After doing some math, I believe I'm correct in saying that if I have a stock Gearbox 4.375 x 0.82 x 1.26 x 1000 = 4520.25 then at 3500 revs.

I would be around 3500 x 2142.6 x 0.06 = 449946 / 4520.25 = 99.54 km/h = 61.85 mph ?

The main question is
A. Am I correct ?
B. Due to financial constraints if I were to only replace the rear tyres what effect would having the current 195/70/15's left on the front for a while ?

The tyres I have on at the moment are almost brand new, probably only done 250 miles on them, and can't really shell out more $$$ after all of the recent work, so was thinking replace rears first and the fronts at a later date ?

Are there any other pitfalls to this that I'm missing ?

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Jump to:
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: