Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight Switch Question
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Headlight Switch Question Reply with quote

The headlight switch in my late 73 bus has the part number: 211 941 531E - It's beginning to fail and I'm looking for a replacement. In my search, I see that the actual part number is the same for the ones currently listed on the classifieds, but the letter at the end is not the same. For example, I found switches as listed below:

211 941 531 (A)
211 941 531 (B)
211 941 531 (N)

Are these all different or will they work as a direct replacement for my
211 941 531 (E) switch?

Thank You.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch Question Reply with quote

Headlight switch function did not change for US models from '71 thru 79, so if a switch has the correct terminals,
it will probably have the same electrical function. I dunno if things like mounting or knob color may have changed.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch Question Reply with quote

Whaanga wrote:

Are these all different or will they work as a direct replacement for my
211 941 531 (E) switch?

Thank You.

The same part number with a different suffix can be a totally different part. I agree that if the terminal pattern is the same the part may work.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch Question Reply with quote

The terminals changed around 73, they ditched the #57 parking light indicator feature, or left the terminal but deleted the stuff inside that made it only work on the first click. 68-70 versions had more #30 terminals, 71+ had a bonus #X terminal controlled by the ignition switch.

Search each number in the classifieds and look at the pics to see the terminal numbers and how many it has.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Whaanga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Switch Question Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies - so it makes sense to use the terminal configuration rather than the part number and suffix.

Here’s a photo of how mine is situated:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I actually purchased a cheap replacement a few years ago but the mounting threads that receive the original escutcheon are just wrong. So I put it back in a spare parts box.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: