Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sedan tri-y header
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip! I was not aware of that product. I suppose I could figure out a spray gun, I have 3 including a touch up gun left over from when I was a bodyman/painter. Wink The last system I built I used the VHT flameproof stuff and after 2 years still looks ok. May need to touch it up this summer.

This stuff looks interesting...
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

Cerakote makes some really cool stuff. The price isn’t bad for how far it would go. I too have used VHT, and it holds up for a couple years, then needs touch up... at least here is humid west Michigan. Next header, I may have to try the Cerakote C7900.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

I get my coatings directly from tech line coatings, ( manufacture).all have been great,I didnt like the look of the titanium, but A BUDDY DID SO i DID HIS 4 WHEELER. after a few years of lots of mud&shit he said it was still good. I wanted the bright aluminum for mine so...they sent me a experiential coating.....it looked awesome but did not last but a few years.I did not know it was experamentail when they sent it to me( sold it to me) it did not make the grade and was changed.I wish they had told me it was experamential I would of chose another color. thats the only issue Ive had with any coatings that Ive applied . I usualy buy enought to do about 4 engines worth of parts and do everything I can. witch may leave coated bearing on the shelf ofr a while, but they will be there when I need them.I usualy do 6 brass gears at a time.4 sets of bearings,3-4 sets of pistins and more. shelf life of the product means use it all up then put the parts on the shelf ready to go when needed.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

Tapered primaries are no real gain. I've played with it. Helps some things hurts others, ok but no overall gain.

I have come up with a design which I expect to be superior to my conventional tri-y

There is a small chance I will not get to ever complete this so I will share it now.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

can you explain what the "volume" chamber does in this design? Thanks!
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

Hemholtz resonator?
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, Chevrolet used tri-y headers on the old 409 in the early 60s.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

sled wrote:
can you explain what the "volume" chamber does in this design? Thanks!

Can I explain...maybe. Probably not, but I'll give it a shot.

Is it a helmholtz resonator?.....yes?, but that's not really anything special in itself. Maybe it is a interesting way of increasing the volume of that area of the header without disrupting the flow path. Or maybe it is an anti-reversion geometry. Or maybe it is a "reversion wave trap" Wink
What is special is WHERE it is positioned in the system.
A few months ago I became more interested in studying the flow in the junctions.
Years ago I "knew" that pressure waves can go around any corner, so how the tubes merge together should have minimal importance from the perspective of wave tuning. And that is still mostly true.
But headers are really a mix of wave tuning and high velocity flow.

When began to re-examine flow properties of junctions I began to realize that it REALLY depends on velocity. When the flow velocity is over .5 mach, THEN you see the shape of the junctions start to matter. The usual truths apply. High velocity flow wants to travel in a straight line (no surprise), and Bernoulli's observation starts to be a factor.
So what I really ended up doing is studying velocity traces in different areas of headers to figure out WHEN the flow properties would matter and that itself was quite a trip, really more important than what I set out to learn.
Anyway, it IS a solution, but a solution needs a proper problem to solve so here is one.
MANY "longtube tri-y" headers have the secondary length 0.5-1 times the primary length, and tertiary length no longer than secondaries, (or they use a small choke or a very large diameter tertiary).
You can find some exceptions but the grand majority of truly good designs are no exception.
Why is that?
The longer the tertiary length, the more it will deflect some of the primary pulse back into the other side of the header, and that WILL bounce back. The velocity and length of the active secondary will be what is standing in the way of that positive reflection interrupting the active cylinder's flow. So it makes sense that as the tertiary length becomes longer than the secondary....is headed into a problem. But when this reflection comes back to the final collector, the flow velocity is quite low, low enough to go around a 180 degree sharp turn Wink
So the "whatever you want to call it volume" can absorb that positive reflection and that will allow this oddly proportioned header to work with no hiccups at all.
If this device was added to a header proportioned differently then it may have no overall benefit, but also should not hurt performance either if I am correct.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

how did you determine all of the dimensional proportions?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

So what else? You want some controversy Razz
shall we talk about "anti-reversion"
Have you ever heard of a "boost bottle"?

Why would merging a header tubes together together at less than 7 degree from centerline have any benefit?
IMO it would only be because doing so increases the volume in that area of the header. Some of you in the know would say it's because it works better. Yes seems to. But why? think about it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

sled wrote:
how did you determine all of the dimensional proportions?

That sounds like a broad question?
Based on my own experience, the experiences of others, simple math, complicated computer simulations, books, thinking.

Some people say headers will always be in proportions "because harmonics", others disagree. When it comes to general design proportions make sense, but small changes can be tried for fine tuning
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

Very Happy Great write up and explanation! Always good to see new ideas brought to the table. Hopefully other will use this in future studies and builds.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

Forgot to add i replaced the muffler this summer.
Here is what it looks like inside. Short tube is the inlet, perforated tube is the outlet. then just wrap it like a burrito.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

Very cool! The inside of the one I made looks kind of similar, it sounds sweet. It would be fun to attempt a tri-y one day and this thread is a great resource.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

so i was preparing to build a tri-y for my lowered fastback, only to realise i likely won't be able to make the primaries the recommended 32-34" without going under the block & tins which puts the exhaust on the ground.

then i plugged my engine spec into the jim mcfarland calculation and it gives me 58" pipe length (to the collector) which for a tri-y would mean 38.6" primaries + 19.3" secondaries. the extra 4-6 inches in the primaries might make it feasible, question is if i got the calculation right...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

Maybe possible. The tuned range would be something like 3100-4800 by my guesstimate.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

plugged in numbers for 4k, 4.5k and 5k rpm peak torque. 5k gave 32,5" primaries (as you recommended), 4k gave much longer 41.5" primaries. 4.5k was the 38.6" middle ground. main issue is i don't know exactly where my peak torque will end up.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

Pictures please as you build this!
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

happy to oblige - though i won't be building anything if i can't get the numbers worked out.
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sedan tri-y header Reply with quote

finally got going with the build. here are a few shots so far – #1 & #3 j-tubes first, then the pipes out to the 2-1, most still just tacked together. and some prep for #2 & #4.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: