Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hella lens with or without VW logo
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omi-Wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Hella lens with or without VW logo Reply with quote

Some headlamp glass have the VW logo at the top and some without.

Anything I should be looking for? I have the Hella Headlights with the 5.00 and 8.00 adjustment screws but no glass.

There seem to be various but above all Hella with the logo and Hella without.

Anyone know?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella lens with or without VW logo Reply with quote

Is the stamped Hella part number info readable on the bucket?

If so, there should be a 2-3 alphanumeric code at the bottom. That code will narrow down the type of lens needed. See my avatar for a 1955 example.

As a general rule, all VW buckets 1954-63 should have the VW logo on the glass; 1964 and later have just the Hella logo.
Omi-Wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hella lens with or without VW logo Reply with quote

HI,

I have; Hella

then under it says: Typ 180E025 2L

Under: K1019

Under: E1088000 (or 6 instead of 8 - its hard to read

Finaly: 46L
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella lens with or without VW logo Reply with quote

The rule on the continent was:
The VW logo on headlight lenses is how the cars left the factory. Those lenses have been factory fitted only. As spare part, you only got lenses without the VW Logo, even if you ordered it through an official VW dealer.
In Europe, the VW Logo was in place until 1961, so the first asymmetrical headlight lenses had it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Omi-Wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hella lens with or without VW logo Reply with quote

Ah great. Fantastic information!

So how did you know it was European?
pastellgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella lens with or without VW logo Reply with quote

Omi-Wan wrote:
Ah great. Fantastic information!

So how did you know it was European?

By saying "European" I meant all the headlight lenses, that are not "clear" like in the US. I did not want to speak for the lenses used in other countries because I have no evidence that there it was handed like in Europe. But I personally believe that it was handed the same way on the complete market.
My information with the use of the VW logo on lenses comes from a direct contact to the original, former owner of the glassworks providing theses lenses for HELLA, BOSCH and other brands.

This is how the last ones, asymmetrical and with VW Logo looked like (1961):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The chrome ring was stamped like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Omi-Wan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella lens with or without VW logo Reply with quote

Yes I just wondered if you got it from the bucket codes as I never mentioned that it wasn´t a clear lens.

Thank you very much again!
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hella lens with or without VW logo Reply with quote

That code suggests a left hand Euro bucket for a late '53 or early '54 Type 2.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: