Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Bay Window
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

They are frowned upon by Wankers

Get the Bus that will make you happy and Phugue the judgement of others

It is amazing the price disparity between those who shop online and those who seek the true value.

“ look at what they list for “ = 5x what they sell for
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

To the OP: Have you driven a VW Bus on a lengthy roadtrip before? I can't speak for the 73 and up models as I have a 68, but it's not the most comfortable ride in the world. The front seats are basically like sitting in an upright chair. Your clutch and brake pedals hover over the floor of the cab to where you have to literally lift your leg up off of the floor to push down on them. Your knees may cramp and depending how tall you are there may not be enough room to stretch your legs when they do. You will inevitably end up slightly hunched over the steering wheel, causing pain in your lower back after 3-4 hours of driving between fuel pit stops. There's also the lack of A/C on a hot day, the weak heater/defroster on cold days to think about. The constant roar of the engine at highway speeds turns conversations into shouting matches and don't even get me started about driving through a strong cross wind or head wind. All things to consider if you've never experienced it before.

Now, don't get me wrong, it's not all bad. Too me, being the driver is the only person in the bus on a road trip that makes it worth it. Especially if you do all your own work/maintenance. The feeling you get when you've put in the work and done your due dillegence on your pre-flight check and your bus gets out on the open road and performs flawlessly, well, most on here will tell you that makes it all worth it. However, it's definitely not for everyone, especially passengers, and ESPECIALLY taking a significant other along with you. I have a beater 2005 Kia with 184,000 that I use as a commuter car daily. It's nothing great, but it seems light years ahead of my bus. A/C & heat when you need it, can go over 65 mph, climbs hills decently, can roll the windows up on hot days and you don't have to blast the stereo just to hear what song is playing.

Not trying to discourage you, just things to consider if you've never driven one or even rode in one on a long trip. Lots of great advice has been passed to you in this thread already. Take in all of it, BE PATIENT! Oh and definitely do not take out a loan to buy one. Stop worrying about looking cool, and worry about making the right long-term decision. Instant gratification and Vintage VWs don't really go together. Do the work, and the reward is that much better. Good luck in your search/travels.

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:

secretsubmariner wrote:

May I suggest something like this? https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ctd/d/portland-warner-brother-package-chevy/7300397840.html

No you may not.

Laughing Laughing

Welcome to the forum!
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

@djdh68dlux

First off, thanks for all that info. It definitely gives me some sort of imagery as to what it will be like driving in my van for extended periods of time.

I haven't taken one on a road trip before. My experience with them is somewhat limited: my older brother had one as his first car when we were teenagers, and I'd been in a few rides but nothing longer than 45 mins, and I've gone to see a few as I began my search (I started in san diego where there were quite a handful of them).

That being said, I have owned a handful of old cars. 1970 mustang (wish I still had it. Don't ever let your dumb teenage kid trade his mustang for an 80's bmw), 63 falcon, my current 87 4runner... I know what driving in older cars is like. To me, all that is the fun part. It brings some adventure into driving, compared to the sterile, automatic, cruise controlled conditions I get in my gf's subaru.

I'll also note that I don't plan on ever using it on freeways unless I have to. I was in a pretty bad car crash last year that left me with permanent side effects. It was on a freeway, and ever since I

1. don't let anyone drive but me.
2. don't go above 40 unless I have to.

Last edited by theguyryry on Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Like others here, I have bought many busses in my day. Five of them to be exact. Everyone of them found me. I bought was a ‘71 for $85, a ‘67 for $200, a 68’ for $200, a ‘78 for $400 and I got my current ‘71 for $1500. They are out there, as everyone here has said you gotta go hunting. Five busses is a pretty good amount of VWs (I also had an ‘86 Sirocco) and I didn’t buy one of them off the internet. Shit when I got my first two the internet wasn’t even invented yet.

Here’s my current ‘71 I got for $1500. It sat in a alley for 10 years
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

One year and $15k later it was all ready for family fun! I did over 50% of the work myself, I had a shop do the engine and transaxle.

Link to my build thread, if you’re interested to see what the process is like
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=702826&highlight=

Good luck!

You don’t find the bus, the bus will find you!
’65 Deluxe Build
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Here’s my current ‘71 I got for $1500. It sat in a alley for 10 years

Man! that looks great! I'll spend some time reading through your build thread. Very jealous. If you want to sell it, you know where to find me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

SLVRSRFR wrote:
how about a Brazilian bus?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2458047

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2456845

or Mexican

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2326198

I did end up reaching out to Buses n Bugs about their campers. Has anyone had any experience with them? I read reviews when I first started looking and it seemed like some people got burned... or at least thought they did.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
SLVRSRFR wrote:
how about a Brazilian bus?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2458047

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2456845

or Mexican

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2326198

I did end up reaching out to Buses n Bugs about their campers. Has anyone had any experience with them? I read reviews when I first started looking and it seemed like some people got burned... or at least thought they did.

There's a feedback link on every Samba ad: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?searc...rds=461619

Depending on how much work has been done some of those don't look outwardly bad for the price if it's turn key you are after. Here's a guy you might reach out to for opinions: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=703916&highlight=hunting+brazil

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
CanStan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I don’t think I’d personally buy a Bus from a dealer. I’d much rather buy one from a hobbiest who’s done the work and you know what you’re getting. Plus I’m willing to bet a hobbiest sells an equivalent Bus for a lot less than a dealer.

The choice of taking out a loan is yours and yours alone. There are valid reasons on both sides of the coin. But my own feeling are that if it’s not a risk of financially ruining you, go for it. You have to live your life. I get some of the advice in this thread about putting this money towards your retirement. And that’s sage advice. But I think it’s also important to live for now a little bit, because your 60’s isn’t a guarantee.

How many people do you know who drop $8000 every year to go to a Mexican resort? And have nothing to show other than great memories. So if owning a Bus is your ‘Mexican vacation’ cost every year, what’s the difference? VW’s might increase in value. Or they might decrease. But they will always be worth something. And you’ll have something to show for your money at the end I guess.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I wouldn’t say you can’t find deals on the internet. Craigslist can sometimes hide good deals as it fades out of popularity; in December 2019, I found a Complete, OG barnfind T3 for $500 and it was in good shape. I got my bus one here for $2200, came with a bunch of new parts mostly complete spare the engine, not a much rust, complete westy interior in good shape. But both of these looked awful when I got them (one still does Laughing ) the bus was half primed and the pictures of it were on jack stands and had surface rust. My T3 was dirty and the original paint looked like an awful respray with rusty bumpers. But both of them had good bones, just needed time and TLC. Where I’m at, there are some avid bus hunters and most everyone has been found and sold across the globe. There are still a ton of beetles. There are still a few left but not many in my area that are abandoned, I know of two busses. They are still out there but disappearing.

A project is the best idea, you will fix your own bus and it will be more reliable, you will know everything better so if something does break, you will know what to do. You can get a lot better start of a bus if it looks bad. No matter how awful it may look, original paint is the best thing to look for, it can’t hide rust and crappy work.

I had been looking and reading in the bay windows forums for a year and a half before I bought mine, I looked through most all of the resto threads seeing what issues there can be, and finding what year I liked best.

Good luck in your search
“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

CanStan wrote:
The choice of taking out a loan is yours and yours alone. There are valid reasons on both sides of the coin. But my own feeling are that if it’s not a risk of financially ruining you, go for it. You have to live your life. I get some of the advice in this thread about putting this money towards your retirement. And that’s sage advice. But I think it’s also important to live for now a little bit, because your 60’s isn’t a guarantee.

This is the take I lean towards. I understand that long term it makes the most sense financially to wait until I can pay it without a loan. But last year, as previously mentioned, I was in a pretty gnarly car accident, and on top of that also found a lump on my chest. Having been forced to be aware of my mortality recently, I've sort of loosened up on the idea of pinching every penny.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

I’m glad you guys are thinking this through carefully. I sure didn’t in my twenties. What’s appalling down the road is how quickly you will be discarded by corporate America right at the peak of your college expending years for the kids.

This will happen to you, with 99% certainty. Don’t think you will dodge it. The only cure is to work your own gig, which ive. done since age 45, leaving on my terms.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
timvw7476 wrote:
2. don't take out a loan for a vintage VW Bus.

I see a lot of people saying this. What's the reasoning behind this? 6-7% interest rate over 5 years is like $5,000 paid. It's a lot of money, but there's a pretty good chance the car would be harder to find and about that price range by the time I could save enough money to actually buy it outright without a loan (estimating that at around 1.5 years).

timvw7476 wrote:
you require mechanical aptitude & a space to park it for repairs, there will be repairs. Some slight, some so major you will need a back up set of wheels for six weeks. That or have a spare drivetrain to swap in.

The DIY part of it is a bonus for me. I like working on cars / solving problems and stuff like that, and I'm ok with needing to work on it. I'm fortunate enough to not need a 100% rock solid daily driver, as I work from home. I also have a 1st gen 4runner, and my GF has a newer subaru.

Most banks/credit unions will have a far higher or no rate on a 45+ year old fixer upper VW. They think, cheap, hobby, air-bagless no ABS. They want you alive, driving back & forth to gainful employment & coddled by the latest tech, not doing the automotive equivalent of bungie jumping.
Good to learn you look forward to handling repairs, but parts access means waiting for UPS/FedEx/DHL/Amazon/Rockauto/Ebay to get you mobile again.
Most VW bus pieces aren't found in the local Pik n' Pull. Wouldn't that be fun?? Good luck with the search for your bus.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:24 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Ok, harsh counterpoint.

Would you take a 10k loan to go on a around the world vacation? Most prudent people would say no. The Bus is the same, you won’t appreciate and get the fixed costs back , nor the capital sunk cost.

My generation was horrible at deferred gratification, you guys can do better. I would be terrified at my retirement prospects at your age. I retire on two maxed out Ss benefits, you guys won’t be seeing that or even half of that
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Ok, harsh counterpoint.

Would you take a 10k loan to go on a around the world vacation? Most prudent people would say no. The Bus is the same, you won’t appreciate and get the fixed costs back , nor the capital sunk cost.

My generation was horrible at deferred gratification, you guys can do better. I would be terrified at my retirement prospects at your age. I retire on two maxed out Ss benefits, you guys won’t be seeing that or even half of that

I think this is the hard to swallow pill for me. I was hoping that me asking the question here would reinforce my justification for instant gratification. In reality, I should probably wait until I can pay for it without having to take a loan out. As much as I want to start driving / working on / being stuck on the side of a road in a bus right now, having waited and saved for it will make me appreciate that experience even more.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Here’s a totally inappropriate proposal

There’s an awesome groupIn Portland you should look up, and maybe offer to help out working on his Bus while you gather up the funds and opportunity to buy one for you.

Getting into the community in a good way is how you get people to look for one for you without paying the grifter premium.

They meet at a bar called ....I’ll have to look it up..
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Here’s a totally inappropriate proposal

There’s an awesome groupIn Portland you should look up, and maybe offer to help out working on his Bus while you gather up the funds and opportunity to buy one for you.

Getting into the community in a good way is how you get people to look for one for you without paying the grifter premium.

That's actually not a bad idea. You don't have any suggestions in Florida, do you? I'm going to be in Pensacola until June before I head back to Portland.
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I believe it's the Lucky Lab.

And I totally agree that word of mouth through a local or regional VW group is a great way to find a bus. I found my bus for sale at a local VW meet-up. Is was quite a few years ago, but got this one for $5k.

theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

THall wrote:
Abscate wrote:

I believe it's the Lucky Lab.

And I totally agree that word of mouth through a local or regional VW group is a great way to find a bus. I found my bus for sale at a local VW meet-up. Is was quite a few years ago, but got this one for $5k.

I'll have to go when I get back in town. Your bus looks awesome by the way!
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

In Pensacola, there is an active club called Rare Air Emerald Coast Vw Club. They are a great bunch of guys and gals. This Saturday, Tomorrow, April 3, at 10:00 am they have their monthly Tech Session at Don Dorough's at 2515 Longleaf, on the northwest side of Pensacola, 32526. If you can make it, do. All kinds of club members meet and work on projects in Don's shop, which is the shop many of us would love to have, 30x40, with a lift and Don is both gracious and gregarious, and you will have a good time. And there are quite a few bus guys there, including Wild Bill Tucker, who lives up to his name.
After living years in a desert wasteland of VW enthusiasm, (Nowhere, Indiana), this is a great thing for enthusiasts. I cant be there on Saturday(have to go back to Nowhere for family issues), but if you go, introduce yourself to Don. You will have fun.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: