Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pans
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Owl Slayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Pans Reply with quote

I've searched without much luck.......
I'm almost ready to order pans for my bug project. I'm inclined to order 18g pan halves from either Wolfsburgwest.com or Mtmfg.com.......but Mtmfg.com carries danish 20g quarter pans that they claim are stronger than half pans because of the welded seam. Does anyone have real life experience with these quarter pans?
18g are just under $600 shipped, quarter pans are just over $300 shipped, hence the question
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

They will all work/last for a long time. Buy what you can afford & get them installed.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Owl Slayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

Thank you for the input
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

Dont bother with Klokkerholm, even if they say they are as strong (which i dont believe), they are most certainly not going to have the correct shape.

I have used several klokkerholm panels where i couldnt find a better alternative, and i have had to rework every single one. I went with the WW full pans, and they are very nice, crisp lines and thick metal, they are heavy! 1.2mm thick, where as the klokkerholm panels i have are only 0.9mm (body panels though, cant say for certain with the pans).

Regards
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

I bought and installed one of M&T's quarter pans. The lower rear one in the below picture that holds the battery. I thought it was thicker and better made than the other quarter pan, top front red one, that I installed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

I have used WW pans on the last 3 Bugs. They are exact copies of the stock pans. Same gauge of steel. I have documented this in a few builds on here.

I did not see it posted. What year Bug. If it is early the ClassicFab pans are decent, too!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Owl Slayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies....my bug is a 65, but the pan is a 71......building a 200hp subaru motor with a subie 5sp trans......just trying to see if the quarter pans were decent or not.......lots of money flying out of my acct......lol
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

The WW pans are plenty strong and the price is more than right. I only spend more if its an early car that needs a year specific stamping.
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

I think that Mill supply and Raybuck are two of the best value pans.Cip has really nice ones but they are not budjet pans. Laughing
Owl Slayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

infiniteLoop wrote:
I think that Mill supply and Raybuck are two of the best value pans.Cip has really nice ones but they are not budjet pans. Laughing

Thank you, I'll look at them
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

1/4 pans are fine if you butt weld them in the front.
You have to cut/weld 1/2 way up the slope behind the battery if the body is still on it.
If you're installing a 5 speed then the body has to come off.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Owl Slayer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
1/4 pans are fine if you butt weld them in the front.
You have to cut/weld 1/2 way up the slope behind the battery if the body is still on it.
If you're installing a 5 speed then the body has to come off.

Thank you, the body is off as I did some rust repair to the tunnel and the frame head. As this is a mutt in the VW world I'm going with the quarter pans and will do some other reinforcing if necessary.......
Thanks everyone for the help and input
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

mtg pans. used WW pans on 72 and 68...pans arrived bent, twisted and required quite abit of coaxing to fit correctly. not a fan of WW pans.
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

tspot100 wrote:
mtg pans. used WW pans on 72 and 68...pans arrived bent, twisted and required quite abit of coaxing to fit correctly. not a fan of WW pans.

Not the pan's fault -it's the transport company's fault.

My WW pans travelled the 8000 miles from LA to Sydney and fitted absolutely perfectly with not one modification. Just slipped in like the original.
tspot100
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

mabey i should clarify. aside from the obvious shipping damage, the pans did not fit well requiring excessive trimming/tweaking to fit. have used other pans which were not only thicker but fit much better than the WW pans.
also ordered a heater channel bottom repair panel which was folded into 1/3rds for shipping. straightening it out was possible but still had creases from the bends. it IS a long panel but there has to be other less damaging methods of shipping. after these incidents and the poor quality fuel pump rebuild kits they used to sell..i avoid WW at all costs.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

tspot100 wrote:

I've only installed one set of pans in my life.. earlier this year, ordered individually from Wolfsburg west. The only damage to the pans was there prior to shipping (no box damage): the forward inboard corners were tweaked up 1/4", looked like from being dropped? It was a non issue and I bent them back flat.
As far as coaxing.. I worked over the rears on both pan halves somewhat to get my edges flat all the way around. The main issue was simply a few low spots on the pans (or high spots on the tunnel), and once I dollied those out the pans sat flat enough to cleco down and plug/rosette weld.

That being said, I had a '65 project at one point, with an aftermarket 20ga pan on one side, and factory OG on the other. The flex in the 20ga pan, body off, was significantly more than the factory side. It may not be an issue to some but one of the more common car accident failure modes of the early model bug is the seats coming off the track. To me, knowing the seat track is already a relatively weak design, I don't care to make the area even weaker by going a full two gauges thinner on the floor pan. I have casually wondered what happens to these thinner floor pans when involved in an accident.. do they crumple up, or do they just tear?
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
elcomicguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pans Reply with quote

3 yrs after WW pans are installed on a '56, I begin reconstruction of the pedal assembly and find only one hole in pan for pedal support bracket. WW says this was not correct for 56-57, and the fix is to cut out old section and weld in. I threw all the cut outs away just weeks ago! Here's the quick fix for me.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: