Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear brake pulsing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Rear brake pulsing Reply with quote

Hey guys, so I changed all my rear brakes on my 88 the other day.
Prior to that the brakes were fine no pulsing whatsoever. New cylinder, springs, shoe, bled four corners the only thing I didn't change are the drums. Cleaned with brake cleaner including drums. Took for a test ride then the brake pulsing occurs and I can hear it rubbing on slight braking pass side rear;( took it apart investigate seems normal visually. Drove it for a day and still there... Did a search and I guess it's possible to warp that drum. And I banged the drums with a hammer during removal. So I want to order new ones there's the Beck/Arnley at Lordco for $160 a pair and can get it right away. Or I can order the Brembos from Florida for cheaper price but will take a few days. Question is can I drive the van with pulsing brakes for a few days till the Brembos arrived or beck/Arnley are equall quality with Brembos?
Thanks for the help.
Cheers
Ogi
Pics before after.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you torque the lug bolts? Most likely the drums were warped prior to the work and now that you have the rears working you can feel the pulsing. I have seen some new drums not be round too. It might be worth having your local machine shop chuck them up and turn them for you. It is safe to drive with the rears pulsing as long as you are aware of it.
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I did torque them to 130 ft/lb.. Might be too much? But I've been using the same torque specs for a long time. I'm running 15' Audi wheels. So berk/arnley drums makes Zimmerman? That's what my local flaps says. Thanks
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my limited experience I've had pulsing and scraping brakes under certain conditions.
New brake shoes which do not exactly fit the drum curvature. They might "wear in" to the correct shape. "Out of roundness" might be accentuated.
Pulsing when stopping on a washboard road/highway.
Scraping brakes when the car has not been driven for several days and the neighbors have watered their lawn and my passenger side rear brakes.
Improper wheel installation warping the drum.
Sometimes difficult to pinpoint the cause. Sometimes goes away.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.. I just ordered Zimmerman drums from local Napa.. $86 each. Will pick it up in an hour.. Hope it's the culprit. I can hear it rubbing when I press the brake pedal..update soon.
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kombi///M3 wrote:
So berk/arnley drums makes Zimmerman? That's what my local flaps says. Thanks

Zimmerman makes rotors and drums for many different "resellers" (companies who put the Zimmmerman products in their own packaging), but that does not mean that they are the same quality as the straight up Zimmerman parts and it does not mean that every Beck/Arnley rotor or drum is made by Zimmerman.

If it were me, I would do as previously suggested and take the drums down to the local machine shop to have them checked out. If they have enough meat on them and only require a skim to true them up, have them machined and be done with it. If they require too much material to be removed, then I would by genuine Zimmerman drums.

*Edit - Oops! You sent your last message while I was typing so ignore the part about turning the drums.

One last note - always replace the rotors on the same hub and in the same orientation (match up the small bolt holes. Even small variations in tolerances can cause a slight pulse from the drums and keeping them in the same orientation ensures that you don't introduce a new factor into the mix. Yes, the centerbore of the drum and the register on the hub are supposed to keep everything centered, but that doesn't always happen.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris, ya I thought about taking the old drum,
But realized their must be still the original ones and in the
future could be replaced soon. Went with new Zimmerman instead to
to get'er over with.
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well.. Problem fixed Very Happy found warped driver side drum.
New Zimmerman to the rescue. Changed my fronts last dec. Brembos.
Now all four corners are done.
Thanks again for you guys.. Love this site.

You can see where shoes doesn't make contact in the old one

Bling bling.. Wish they never corrode.
mage_zpsckrnjjkq.jpg.htm
l]
[/URL]
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice color matched springs
2wdvanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good under there KombiM3!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kombi///M3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.. I actually gave the springs and shocks a quick buff for
The pics:) I did greased the hub inserts a tad, hopefully avoids seizing.
Don't want to warp another drum by hitting with a hammer.
Stevied84westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake pulsing Reply with quote

Hello Campers.
Getting ready to get out of Dodge so speak and in chasing down a squealing brake I thought well, couldn’t remember the last change on the rears. Well before 2009 when I got a new computer. I do keep track of the work I do so I was a long time ago. Today I completed the install of the new ATE drums and shoes but todays test drive was not encouraging.
In the past few months of very light winter driving, I’d lose a little pedal travel but a quick pump and it would be fine and that too was part of my motivation thinking one set of shoes might be worn more than the other and the drop was due to the brake cylinder making up the inbalance. Alas, with new drum and shoes I now have an additional issue. The brake pedal is pulsating underfoot and that was not there previously and the squeal/sqeak is still present. Probably up front but hard to access solo.
So, reaching out to the well-traveled and experienced for any suggestions.
Thanks, -Steve
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake pulsing Reply with quote

It's called "crappy parts", a common malady today. One, or both, of the drums is warped and you'll need to return them or get them turned to true them up. PITA, but that's why a always have them checked before install. I'd rather pay a bit extra and save the extra time and labor. Limited cost give the infrequency of brake jobs.
Stevied84westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Rear brake pulsing Reply with quote

Morning all.
It this Keith from the Tiico Group?
Damn, that's what I suspected after reading this thread. Ha, now to go out and put the old ones back on.
Can I safely run the new shoes old drum? I don't see why not but I intend to send them back to the good folk at FC Euro Pro. Today!
Cheers, -Steve
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear brake pulsing Reply with quote

Stevied84westy wrote:
Morning all.
It this Keith from the Tiico Group?
Damn, that's what I suspected after reading this thread. Ha, now to go out and put the old ones back on.
Can I safely run the new shoes old drum? I don't see why not but I intend to send them back to the good folk at FC Euro Pro. Today!
Cheers, -Steve

Yup, it is I Laughing

I would say no problem on new shoes / old drums, done that a lot over the years. As long as the drum is within wear limits there's really no *need* to replace. I'd also take a close look at where those shoes have been wearing since installed. My guess is right at the top. Seems to be a lot of shoes out there that have too short of a tang (that fits in the bottom pivot point). If that's the case with yours, I'd back off the adjusters and put spacers (like flat washer) behind the "pucks" that hold the lower end of the shoes. Spaced correctly, you can then get the shoes to hit the drum in the middle of the lining. Then, as it wears you'll get more and more contact area, instead of just wearing out the end of the lining. I had the SBS shoes that VanCafe was selling, and they were **really** bad that way. Ended up tossing them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: