Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sheet metal for patch panels
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

When you need to source sheet metal for your patches where do you look/buy?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andybla
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

Here we have a local hardware store with a metal deptment which have all kinds of metal
infiniteLoop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

In my locale there is a wholesaler that buys back metal and resells it by the pound. I think the minimum is 30 pounds. The savings is about 30 percent.
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

I went to my local big box store and the selection wasn't great. I look for a locally owned hardware store and see what they have.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
misterh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

You can buy it online from Summit Racing.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

finray wrote:
When you need to source sheet metal for your patches where do you look/buy?

I just googled steel suppliers in your area and came up with quite a few. If you're looking for smaller sections, you may want to contact a local fabricator to see if they have some small drops.

Hardware stores are the most expensive place to by steel. A 4x8 sheet of 20 gauge costs about $50 at my supplier. Steel suppliers charge by the pound.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

Bobnotch says you can buy 2X4 sheets of raw steel for $4 at Home Depot.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finray
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Bobnotch says you can buy 2X4 sheets of raw steel for $4 at Home Depot.

That would be great. I'm looking on their website but not finding that deal yet.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

Bob was recommending metal from Lowes actually for building fender flares for this VW Golf chassis with squareback body! Shocked
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9541659#9541659
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

I'm somewhat doubtful about the pricing, unless it's for 26g.

You're looking for 18-20g for body panels. Cold rolled, non galvanized. Most German car bodies were built with 1mm, which is very close to 19g, but most suppliers don't carry 19g.

The bonus of finding a local steel supplier vs. box store is that they have the heavy equipment you likely do not. Shears, slip rolls, breaks, punches... I have a good assortment of tools in my shop but at times it's easier/cheaper to have some cuts, punching done at the metal shop vs. my shop. And good luck with finding anyone knowledgeable about sheet metal in Lowes!
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

You need to look for metal fabricators, or metal suppliers in your area. They can supply 18 gauge cold rolled steel by the 4x8 sheet.
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

I bought the tubing for my rotisserie at "Metal Supermarket". They were very helpful and cut the pieces to size for me. Check if you have one in your area. The prices on their website were higher than what I ended up paying.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

There is a huge metal store in LA called industrial metal supply. They have a remnants section and you can usually find it for cheap. Some places have scrap is what I'm saying.

And use 18 gauge sheet.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

Schnitzer Steel is mainly recycling but I have bought new/used/random steel from them. I just sold them $400 worth of old aluminum sprinkler pipe. Very Happy
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=schnitzer+steel
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

jimdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

Another option would be to check out some body shops in the area, they often have a scrap pile of discarded parts. A hood or door can provide useable flat pieces. Obviously, ask before you rummage through their stuff!
Busbodger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Sheet metal for patch panels Reply with quote

Sometimes establishing a business relationship with a local metal supplier will lead to them offering to let you go through their cutoffs from larger jobs for very cheap or free.

Several times our local supplier will tell me just to go over to the shear and see if there is any scrap large enough for my patch panels. Take it, its free.

I do buy from them when I need rotisserie materials for example, or I want to alter my utility trailer, etc.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: