Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 rear axle into a 59?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paddingtonfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject: 65 rear axle into a 59? Reply with quote

Hi, new member here. I’m putting a 59 bus back on the road, but when I removed the rear axle I had trouble extracting the bolts on the swing arms and issues with the reduction boxes resulting in them being in bits. The gearbox wasn’t that good, so I’ve got hold of a complete setup from a 65 bus which is complete and good.

The 59 axle number is B2466844, and the 65 is H9010774.

My question is; can I swap them? I know the wheels will be a different size, can anyone advise what I’ll need to do if it is possible in terms of parts swaps etc. If this isn’t an option, what are the alternatives?

Thanks, Mike
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 rear axle into a 59? Reply with quote

1959 model year had changes to the bus later in the year. You should sort out what month/year your bus was manufactured to CYA.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 rear axle into a 59? Reply with quote

BTW welcome to thesamba!!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 rear axle into a 59? Reply with quote

Paddingtonfire wrote:
...I know the wheels will be a different size, can anyone advise what I’ll need to do .....

Thanks, Mike

all year bus wheels will fit on any year bus.

you can run the 15s your bus came with on the later transmission without any issue.

look at your transmissions, do they look the same? a split case transmission and a tunnel case transmission will look and mount differently.

easiest: post pictures.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Paddingtonfire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 65 rear axle into a 59? Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far, I’m away working this week and will post transaxle pictures this weekend. I know there was a model change that happened in 1959, I’ll do the numbers then too... for now here’s closeups of the stamps on the casings.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks, Mike
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: 65 rear axle into a 59? Reply with quote

The short answer is that is is quite possible to install a 65 (big nut) transaxle into a 59 bus.
If the 59 has a split case transaxle, the front mount for the transaxle on the bus is different than the mount for a tunnel trans.
Mounts that allow one to install a tunnel trans in a split case bus are available and the task is not onerous.
The 65 transaxle is a tunnel trans.

So, if those pics show the "B" transaxle as your original and the "H" transaxle as the 65, the front mounts are the same and the new trans will bolt right in.

A bigger issue is getting the emergency brake to function properly.
That can be done as well, but take s a little more messing about.

I just resurrected a 59 Kombi a couple years ago and detailed the build in a thread here.
One of the tasks was to put a big nut transaxle in the early 59 Kombi that originally came with a split case transaxle.
About halfway down the page is where the transaxle installation begins:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40

This will show you how I mounted the front of the transaxle and modified the park brake system such that it would pass Canadian government inspection.

This should help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: 65 rear axle into a 59? Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20

This link might help as well? I used it to modify the e-brake cable setup on ‘59 single cab to install a later, big-nut transaxle.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
1970PAKombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 65 rear axle into a 59? Reply with quote

This post helped me even, thanks everyone. Also good luck, share your buses
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: