Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop top insulation. You can do it!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustednuggs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

LOL thanks, but there is food and booze involved and a heated barn! I went to Lowes and couldn't locate it yesterday, the one near me at least.

TY
DS
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

rustednuggs wrote:
LOL thanks, but there is food and booze involved and a heated barn! I went to Lowes and couldn't locate it yesterday, the one near me at least.

TY
DS

.....Re: Pop top insulation. YOU can do it!

12 available at w indianapolis store

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Reflectix-R-21-100-sq-ft-...-L/3011906

Reflectix R-21 100-sq ft Unfaced Reflective Roll Insulation (48-in W x 25-ft L)
Item #13358Model #BP48025

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/u]

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Has anyone had luck doing this without drilling into the top to install the snaps?
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Good question.
IF you cut the Reflectix a wee bit tall, it will bind a up against the pop top and hold itself in place, sans snaps.
I do not always press the snaps to secure the insulation panels, really only if there is a chilly wind. The Velcro straps that hold the front panel to the side panels help to stiffen the hole shebang.
So make the panels and test fit. You will know then.
Cheers,
Jeffery : )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Yep, I just made panels out of a roll of the 48" Reflectix. If I recall correctly, I made my measurements on the outside with the top popped, which had the (intended) effect of making them slightly large from the inside. So they stay in place very well with the pressure along the top, the mattress along the sides, and push bar at the front.

I also cut them so that the side panels overlap a little onto the front, and the front panel overlaps a little to the sides. Those overlaps also help hold everything in place with no snaps.

I install the side panels, then fold and stuff the front panel in between the canvas and the push bar.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shadetreemech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

I didn't drill for snaps. The Velcro didn't last. I stand the panels up and they stay in place.

Dan
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

I use velcro. Works great, easy on, easy off
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

made bigger. press fit. stay in place. makes a lot of difference in interior temp

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
sphet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback on not needing snaps!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

Finally got three sides done. I have the back strip to do yet, but it was nice to get as much done as I did tonight! I made a first attempt while waiting for the raffle at last years' Bug In up in Minneapolis. I should have finished sooner, but I guess I got off track.

Vanuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Pop top insulation. You can do it! Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

IT Crowd... Very Happy
'02 Subaru Forester 2.5L
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: