Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Buying a Bay Window
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:

1. don't let anyone drive but me.
2. don't go above 40 unless I have to.

LOL my only two rules for passengers are:
1. Don't freak out
2. Only Tony operates the slider door

Good luck man, hope you find something out there!
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
In Pensacola, there is an active club called Rare Air Emerald Coast Vw Club. They are a great bunch of guys and gals. This Saturday, Tomorrow, April 3, at 10:00 am they have their monthly Tech Session at Don Dorough's at 2515 Longleaf, on the northwest side of Pensacola, 32526. If you can make it, do. All kinds of club members meet and work on projects in Don's shop, which is the shop many of us would love to have, 30x40, with a lift and Don is both gracious and gregarious, and you will have a good time. And there are quite a few bus guys there, including Wild Bill Tucker, who lives up to his name.
After living years in a desert wasteland of VW enthusiasm, (Nowhere, Indiana), this is a great thing for enthusiasts. I cant be there on Saturday(have to go back to Nowhere for family issues), but if you go, introduce yourself to Don. You will have fun.

I don't get in until tomorrow evening. Do they have a calendar online somewhere? Hoping to go to the next one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

They do. Their website, Rare Air VW club, has all the pertinent info. Tech session is once a month, usually on the first Saturday of the month. Club meeting is third Thursday of the month, at a Baptist church that lets the club use their multi purpose room. And there always seems to be a run or a show or a cars and coffee to go to, and the club usually has a contingent going.I won't be back until Middle of April, but these are some friendly people. So, just go to any event and you will be among friends!
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

How many of us can spot a bus in a field or a in a pile of cars or jammed in a carport with a bunch of crap at 1000 yards? And tell what year it is from a glance driving by?

Pretty much all of us.

And many of us can’t see all that well anymore.

Knowing a group of people like that all on the lookout for a bus for you...

That’s how you will find your bus.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

We bought our '76 with a few body/rust issues and a few mechanical issues (would not stay running). We got the bus running reliably and stopping safely for less than $300 and a few days of our own labor. We are into our bus for less than $8k and we drive it every weekend and multiple camping events. I'm sure others passed on our bus because it needed some welding and would not start - hence the cheapo price. We knew what we were getting into - all horrors were on show.
My point is; find an "honest bus" you can afford with cash and do your own work. If you aren't the best wrencher, learn how. Any classic vehicle is a money pit unless you do your own work. I would not take out a loan to purchase a 50 yr old vehicle. Again, pay the cash you can afford and when/if you hit mechanical issues, it wont sting as bad while the bus sits on the driveway waiting for repair.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

There was an awesome looking bus on the Valparaiso craigslist (https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/cto/d/destin-1973-vw-campmobile/7300930368.html) but it sold in a day. I messaged the seller a day after they listed it and he was already holding it for someone. Oh well. I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to disregard all of the great advice so far on this thread and do something stupid, but until then I'm going to check classifieds 3-4 times a day and constantly have ebay in a browser tab.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
We bought our '76 with a few body/rust issues and a few mechanical issues (would not stay running). We got the bus running reliably and stopping safely for less than $300 and a few days of our own labor. We are into our bus for less than $8k and we drive it every weekend and multiple camping events. I'm sure others passed on our bus because it needed some welding and would not start - hence the cheapo price. We knew what we were getting into - all horrors were on show.
My point is; find an "honest bus" you can afford with cash and do your own work. If you aren't the best wrencher, learn how. Any classic vehicle is a money pit unless you do your own work. I would not take out a loan to purchase a 50 yr old vehicle. Again, pay the cash you can afford and when/if you hit mechanical issues, it wont sting as bad while the bus sits on the driveway waiting for repair.

Wow! that's a great looking bus! I'm trying to keep my eyes peeled for the a good deal like that. Feel free to send more pictures. Curious what the work was that you had to do to it...
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:

Wow! that's a great looking bus! I'm trying to keep my eyes peeled for the a good deal like that. Feel free to send more pictures. Curious what the work was that you had to do to it...

Thanks! We fixed vacuum leaks to remedy the not starting issue (just loose hoses). The only money we had to spend was for new shoes and cylinders (rears), new master cylinder, and a rebuilt distributor. Other than the distributor, we bought the parts we needed from O'Reillys. We figured new Chinese parts had to be better than 50 yr old leaking master/wheel cylinders, even if VW brand. All been fine for a year of usage.
The distributor was sourced on the forum here for $225 - best money we ever spent, the bus starts easily and every time since the swap.
Probably in the bus for just less than $350 to get the bus running reliably and stopping safely. We've "wasted" money on other stuff, of course, such as cup-holders, curtains, a "bra", solar, etc. Paint isn't great but that's OK with us - none of us are getting any younger. Wink

Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Did you notice your smiley faces vanished when you put the bra on?

( Sorry Kam, just sayin’)
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:

I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to disregard all of the great advice so far on this thread and do something stupid, but until then I'm going to check classifieds 3-4 times a day and constantly have ebay in a browser tab.

Ha! I know how that feels! I actually managed to resist that when I was looking at busses.

I was looking for a project bus, and had a local bus come up for $2500. I was totally excited, went to look at it, and man it was rough. Really rough.

I tried to rationalize it from every direction that it wasn't that bad, but eventually was able to tell myself that it was that bad Shocked , and too far gone for me.

And I was right, because the right bus for me came along months later.

You'll find the right one man. Keep at it!

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

for every guy that buys a non runner that just has to put some hoses back on, there is a guy with a dropped seat and only compression on 2 cylinders that requires a rebuild.
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

alman72 wrote:
for every guy that buys a non runner that just has to put some hoses back on, there is a guy with a dropped seat and only compression on 2 cylinders that requires a rebuild.

Tell me about it. We looked at three buses before the one we bought and they would start the motor and you could hear the "knocking" a mile away - even though we were assured his good friend said the engine was "strong".
We definitely took a chance on our bus and mainly chanced it because the PO tried to run it, it ran for one second and quit - it would not keep running. So at least we knew it had the potential to run again - and from the one second high RPM run there was no knock. When we got it home we found (with the forums help) that a major vacuum hose had come adrift. Pressed it into place and the bus immediately fired up and help a steady idle. Been awesome ever since.
Wish we knew this at the time though. We had to hire a trailer and almost got a hernia pushing the non-running bus up the ramps (with help). Who knew a literal 5 second fix would have it moving under its own steam. Wink
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
alman72 wrote:

Tell me about it. We looked at three buses before the one we bought and they would start the motor and you could hear the "knocking" a mile away - even though we were assured his good friend said the engine was "strong".
We definitely took a chance on our bus and mainly chanced it because the PO tried to run it, it ran for one second and quit - it would not keep running. So at least we knew it had the potential to run again - and from the one second high RPM run there was no knock. When we got it home we found (with the forums help) that a major vacuum hose had come adrift. Pressed it into place and the bus immediately fired up and help a steady idle. Been awesome ever since.
Wish we knew this at the time though. We had to hire a trailer and almost got a hernia pushing the non-running bus up the ramps (with help). Who knew a literal 5 second fix would have it moving under its own steam. Wink

read a story on here about someone buying a non runner for cheap, getting signed paperwork from PO, and attatching a vac hose and driving off. PO was prob stunned.or some other feeling..
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
I have a sneaking suspicion I'm going to disregard all of the great advice so far on this thread and do something stupid

Wink

Just remember, what's your money if you're not spending it?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

As others have said, be patient but be relentless in checking your regular sources as the day you don't check your local Craigslist, social media, (etc), one will come up and by the time you see the ad, 45 people will have already contacted the seller.

I looked for about 3 years before I found my 76 (Westy) at a reasonable price (CAN$4000). I checked out a few over the years but either the seller wanted too much or the bus was in very poor shape (rotten frame sections, previous accidents, etc). It had no interior and I had to redo the metal in the floor, new jack points, new sliding door rail, update the wiring, new tail lights, add seats, new cabinetry, etc but it turned out great.

I was looking for a manual transaxle Westy but the one I bought ended up being an automatic. It turned out to be a bonus as I did a Subaru swap after finding out the PO had replaced the original 2000cc with a 1700cc and it needed a complete rebuild as the crank bearings were shot. The automatic transaxle can handle the extra HP of the Subaru without any upgrades that the manual would have required.

I had a 73 Panel Bus back in the 90s so it was so nice to get the Westy, especially with the Subaru swap. Love driving it!

Stay focused and you'll find one at a reasonable price.

DB
76 Westy
2.5L Subaru SOHC
Vanagon Automatic Transaxle

theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Ok, so checking my nearby craigslist last night and this one pops up:

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/lynn-haven-1971-volkswagen-van-westfalia/7303285551.html

I spoke to the owner on the phone, he's said he's gotten a lot of interest on it but no buyers yet... I'm going to go check it out tonight, but over the phone he mentioned the fan shroud isn't installed on the motor, so he doesn't recommend driving it long distances until that's installed. I figured I'd ask the hive mind for recommendations.

Without even looking at it in person, I can see that it needs the front turn signal housing replaced. That potentially means electrical isn't hooked up. The paint looks good / new, but that could be hiding rust. 15k doesn't seem to bad, does it?
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Looks good from the few pictures he put up, but a lot more looking underneath and at the engine would be good.

Is he able to at least start or crank the engine to listen for or test compression?

The paint sure is nice, but you know how that goes...
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

theguyryry wrote:
Ok, so checking my nearby craigslist last night and this one pops up:

https://panamacity.craigslist.org/cto/d/lynn-haven-1971-volkswagen-van-westfalia/7303285551.html

I spoke to the owner on the phone, he's said he's gotten a lot of interest on it but no buyers yet... I'm going to go check it out tonight, but over the phone he mentioned the fan shroud isn't installed on the motor, so he doesn't recommend driving it long distances until that's installed. I figured I'd ask the hive mind for recommendations.

Without even looking at it in person, I can see that it needs the front turn signal housing replaced. That potentially means electrical isn't hooked up. The paint looks good / new, but that could be hiding rust. 15k doesn't seem to bad, does it?

Rear lights look newer than on a 1971. Also, the pop roof looks weird - should be all one level. If he has the seals etc to fix the roof, why wouldnt he? Paint is nice but why no re-install wipers etc post paint job?

Be wary of the "dont drive it far until...." scenarios. Fine at $6k, but at $15k the bus should be good to go. Let us know how it looks in person Wink
theguyryry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:

Rear lights look newer than on a 1971. Also, the pop roof looks weird - should be all one level. If he has the seals etc to fix the roof, why wouldnt he? Paint is nice but why no re-install wipers etc post paint job?

Let us know how it looks in person Wink

According to him, the original roof broke, so he bought a parts bus in AL and stole it off that... Not sure why it was broken, or why it's different heights. Definitely some weird stuff going on.

If there's rust bubbling up anywhere under that paint, or if it doesn't start, i'm planning on walking away. The top I can fix, the interior is ugly but I can live with it until I'm motivated to replace it...

Anyone replaced the fan shroud before? Is that going to require dropping the motor?
HoboBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Buying a Bay Window Reply with quote

Rear air intakes are also later than 71, like the taillights...

But it suposedly has a 1600.. which is an earlier circa 71 motor...

Fresh paint, wipers not installed....

Plenty of questions for 15k. Be careful.

Just a beach-oriented camping Hobo with a bus.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: