Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early Nose Cone/Late Trans
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:12 pm    Post subject: Early Nose Cone/Late Trans Reply with quote

Couple of years later... Razz
Got a chance to open this one up.
Didn't drive it much.

A late shift-rib SSC with an early nose cone just slapped on.
The plastic cage was chewed up,
But it looks like i caught it in time?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This trans shifted perfectly and was super quiet.
Think it's OK to run?
The main-shaft race moves about .020 in the gear carrier..
Is that a deal breaker? Rebuild time?

Would the plate dealie give me a shot at running the thing?

It says you have to machine the nose cone?
Is this also needed when running an early cone on a later trans?

Seems like you'd get your clearance by just gluing it on,
The bearing would be supported,
And Bob's your uncle, right?

Nose cone is pre-clearanced! Very Happy

Anyhow,
Wondering how the trans masters would approach this situation..

Thanks for your time and wisdom,
Steve

What’s That Noise?!?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Nose Cone/Late Trans Reply with quote

Could you run it for a while with the bearing not having a precise fit in the carrier? Sure. Will you think about how long it’s going to last every time you drive the car? Yes.

It’s like having a flywheel bearing loose in an engine. Will the engine run? Sure. Are you creating more damage that could be repaired before it gets too bad? Yes.

I personally would repair it. If it’s been moving for a while, which it looks like it has, there are other things worn in the trans that more than likely need attention.

If you simply can get a rebuild presently, the best case scenario would be to use the bearing plate, and resurface the nosecone to remove the wear mark from the moving bearing. The plastic cage in the mainshaft bearing isn’t damaged to the point it’s going to fail, and the thickness of the bearing plate should be enough that the nosecone won’t hit it after being resurfaced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Early Nose Cone/Late Trans Reply with quote

Did you have the nose cone machined 0.040"? My local machine shop hosed me on the cost of doing mine, I should've gotten a quote first.

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ohio Tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Nose Cone/Late Trans Reply with quote

The plate will help and likely make you good for a while. It will eventually spin in the bore and wallow it out real bad.

If the bearing is loose in the housing, it will only get worse.
if it still has some tigthness to it, then the plate is actually a good fix. It will pin the bearing in it's place.

That nose cone is hammered. A few minutes on a belt sander will fix that issue. I do it to 100% of the nose cones I re-use.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Early Nose Cone/Late Trans Reply with quote

Ohio Tom wrote:
That nose cone is hammered. A few minutes on a belt sander will fix that issue. I do it to 100% of the nose cones I re-use.

^^^^this^^^^

While it’s nice to clamp it down, and face it in a mill, some carefully timed rotations on a belt sander is all I’ve ever done. Measure the thickness for reference, but I would bet you’ll need at least .020 to get the bearing wear mark out.

FYI, if taking the belt sander route, don’t let the Magnesium dust/fluff build up in the nose cone....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: