Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stalls once warmed up
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:12 am    Post subject: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

My 1960 has developed a habit of stalling (when stopped) after about 15-20 minutes of driving. This happened several months ago, but appeared to resolve itself. I did adjust idle/mixture a couple of months ago as part of a tune up, but the problem didn't start until recently. what's strange is that I ran it for well over 20 minutes in my garage and it never stalled or stuttered. Thoughts/suggestions?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

Post images of the engine.
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Post images of the engine.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

When you took the pics, was the engine cold, warm, hot? I am just noticing the fast idle/choke adjustment is on step 2.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

OK, you do not have the original 36 HP engine. You have a duel port 1600 with Bocar 34PICT-3. Check the idle shut off solenoid is tight and the wiring to it is not failing. Get that wire off the top of the carb, where it will wear thru and short out. That wire should be run below the throttle cable so it is not rubbing against some hard surface.

Do you still have the heat exchangers in place or replaced them with the J-tubes?

Please do post a few more images of the engine a bit farther back to show more of it.
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
When you took the pics, was the engine cold, warm, hot? I am just noticing the fast idle/choke adjustment is on step 2.

It was stone cold in this photo.
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
OK, you do not have the original 36 HP engine. You have a duel port 1600 with Bocar 34PICT-3. Check the idle shut off solenoid is tight and the wiring to it is not failing. Get that wire off the top of the carb, where it will wear thru and short out. That wire should be run below the throttle cable so it is not rubbing against some hard surface.

Do you still have the heat exchangers in place or replaced them with the J-tubes?

Please do post a few more images of the engine a bit farther back to show more of it.

Thanks, will reroute cable.
Heater exchanges are still there. See additional photos.

type241
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

Just my $.02.

Sounds like you are running rich or the choke is staying closed. When your engine warms up it will naturally richen up thus the choke not being needed when warm. You might want to try re-indexing the choke element.
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

type241 wrote:
Just my $.02.

Sounds like you are running rich or the choke is staying closed. When your engine warms up it will naturally richen up thus the choke not being needed when warm. You might want to try re-indexing the choke element.

Thanks for your $.02. I'll have a look at that.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

Get different rear tin so you can install the hoses from fan shroud to the heat exchangers. Air must be blown thru the HEs at all time or the heads get too hot.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=704293&highlight=heater+box+vent
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

It looks like your fuel pump is not hooked up. Are you using an electric one somewhere else?
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

My two cents. I had a similar issue with my 36 hp. Happened to have fuel starvation due a too high glass bowl filter + poorly installed pump diaprhagm + incorrect pump rod length + incorrect carb bowl height.

Sorted one by one, and ended doind flawlessly ever after... runs great even in hot summer.
classicbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stalls once warmed up Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
It looks like your fuel pump is not hooked up. Are you using an electric one somewhere else?
Yes, there's an electric one installed--not pictured.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: