Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weight of rear 181 brake drum wanted
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject: Weight of rear 181 brake drum wanted Reply with quote

I was wondering if someone can put an 181 rear brake drum on the scale for me and tell me the weight.

With the thick mounting face on the drum I can only imagine that it weighs a ton more than a wide 5 bug rear drum or even a larger Type III drum. I am just curious how much.

Thanks
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Weight of rear 181 brake drum wanted Reply with quote

Mine were not original VW, but German Sebro reproductions. They weighed 19 Lbs a pop. Heavy suckers. The reinforcement webbing is slightly different than the VW reinforcement webbing.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Elroyyy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Weight of rear 181 brake drum wanted Reply with quote

A quick search of the googles turned up the Hoffmann Speedster site. They're in Viersen, Germany. Although they may be shipping weights.

They list a Thing rear drum at 8kg (17.637lb):
https://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/type-181-thing/b...-holes-205

They also list a wide-5 at 5.5kg (12.1254lb):
https://en.hoffmann-speedster.com/beetle/brake-whe...7?c=138288

By contrast, I put an OEM rear Thing drum on my 50-pound-max postage scale and it came in at 15lb, 14oz or 7.2kg
I don't have a wide-5 rear drum to weigh.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight of rear 181 brake drum wanted Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Interesting that the Sebro are around 19 lbs, and I see Thingparts.com has a rear 181 drum and shipping is quoted as 18lbs, and the orig drum weight around 16lbs. I wonder how much wear is on the original drum.

I will pull one of mine that are very worn and weight it too and report that info when I have it.

Type III drums have a shipping weight of 14lbs and they are a larger diameter drum and use longer and wider shoes.

Just thinking of the unsprung weight savings possibility on the rear brake drums.
SHawkins87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Weight of rear 181 brake drum wanted Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Type III drums have a shipping weight of 14lbs and they are a larger diameter drum and use longer and wider shoes.

Type 3 drums may not be much lighter if you consider that they are separate from the hub where the Thing drum/hub is all one piece. That Type 3 weight probably doesn't include the hub.

I run discs in front and Type 3 drums in back. I chose to run them because of the longer and wider shoes. The combo works really well and makes it stop almost like a modern car. I am very happy with them.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Weight of rear 181 brake drum wanted Reply with quote

SHawkins87 wrote:
74 Thing wrote:

Type 3 drums may not be much lighter if you consider that they are separate from the hub where the Thing drum/hub is all one piece. That Type 3 weight probably doesn't include the hub.

I run discs in front and Type 3 drums in back. I chose to run them because of the longer and wider shoes. The combo works really well and makes it stop almost like a modern car. I am very happy with them.

Type III early model rear drums are wide 5 and all one piece.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-311-501-615-E
SHawkins87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Weight of rear 181 brake drum wanted Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
Type III early model rear drums are wide 5 and all one piece.

Sorry, I wasn't thinking about the early ones. I used the later model along with 4 lug discs to convert mine to 4 lug while I did the brakes.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Weight of rear 181 brake drum wanted Reply with quote

I weighed my used VW 181 rear drums and they weighed 15lb 7oz.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: